Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Hottoddies » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:07 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:44 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:12 pm
yinzername wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:09 pm
Lately leaning Ladd
I’ve seen a lot of Ladd hype. I don’t follow cfb, so I’m wondering, if he’s so good, why was he in college for 4 years and why wasn’t his production all that great?
I'm having trouble remembering the last Georgia WR with good raw production.

That said, McConkey does check some nice boxes statistically that should translate. Cashed a lot of first downs in that offense, feasted on zone, and his separation statistics match the skill on tape. Still a tough projection though to bet against things like breakout, YPTT, and age adjusted production numbers. But, he just looks the part whenever you watch games.
Do you remember a guy named George Pickens?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:17 am

Hottoddies wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:07 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:44 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:12 pm

I’ve seen a lot of Ladd hype. I don’t follow cfb, so I’m wondering, if he’s so good, why was he in college for 4 years and why wasn’t his production all that great?
I'm having trouble remembering the last Georgia WR with good raw production.

That said, McConkey does check some nice boxes statistically that should translate. Cashed a lot of first downs in that offense, feasted on zone, and his separation statistics match the skill on tape. Still a tough projection though to bet against things like breakout, YPTT, and age adjusted production numbers. But, he just looks the part whenever you watch games.
Do you remember a guy named George Pickens?
His best season was 727 yards

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 am

Wait, which set of numbers are you selling here, because some of these results are extremely different.
wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:23 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:54 pm

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 am

@Bronco

Wild guess is that the table is overall, and the chart is only vs. zone.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:53 am

trc wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 am @Bronco

Wild guess is that the table is overall, and the chart is only vs. zone.
I considered that, but some of those numbers are so diverse that it would indicate that a lot of college teams overwhelmingly play man coverage and I don’t believe that is accurate. I know the NFL is zone heavy, playing it on average 2/3rds of the time in coverage schemes.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:00 am

McConkey vs zone: 3.04 YPRR

vs. man: 2.27

Both are career numbers (2.54 overall for his entire career).

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:49 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:00 am McConkey vs zone: 3.04 YPRR

Yes, I think that is accurate. There are a ton of stats out there, YPRR (either single year, last year, or total college) is just one (and zone vs man as well). I've been following a guy on Twitter who is working on an index that take the top four most important traits—

Draft Capital—obviously, 1st round is important, the earlier the better, etc., on down to 2nd and 3rd.
YPRR—total college +2.5, best year +3
BOA—<age 20
Dominator—I think the mark is 30%+ as elite

I'm still learning about analytics, but some of this can help find a Puka vs a QJ.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:53 am

For example, here are two lists:

2024 WR Class - YPRR Leaders

2.98 - Marvin Harrison Jr.
2.83 - Malik Nabers
2.63 - Troy Franklin
2.55 - Jacob Cowing
2.54 - Ladd McConkey
2.52 - Jamari Thrash
2.52 - Devontez Walker
2.52 - Johnny Wilson
2.50 - Javon Baker
2.50 - Rome Odunze

2024 WR Class Highest Single Season YPRR

3.8 - Jacob Cowing
3.6 - Malik Nabers
3.4 - Marvin Harrison Jr.
3.4 - Troy Franklin
3.2 - Javon Baker
3.2 - Malik Washington
3.2 - Xavier Legette
2.9 - Jamari Thrash
2.9 - Rome Odunze

So what do these numbers do for me? A few things—
• confirms what I think about guys like Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze
• helps show outliers, like Cowing, Thrash, Walker, Baker, etc.
• and raise red flags on guys that are LOW in the rankings, like Mitchell

FWIW. If you have to pick one thing, DC is the best, since these teams are likely crunching all of this data as well.

Some of this stuff is to help me differentiate between two guys I may like, say, at the 2.04 mark—where do they excel, what are the red flags. Of course there will be those that defy the stats. But Puka? He was a guy on the YPRR chart that LEAPED off the page.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:55 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:49 am
I'm still learning about analytics, but some of this can help find a Puka vs a QJ.
While this is true, watching QJ play would have shown you his alligator arms. I’ve never seen a big guy play as small as him. Then he wasn’t as tall as his listed college height either.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:16 am

Lumps wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:55 am
While this is true, watching QJ play would have shown you his alligator arms. I’ve never seen a big guy play as small as him. Then he wasn’t as tall as his listed college height either.
LOL true. I don't get to watch a ton of college ball, and highlight reels just focus on the...highlights, so LOL I've found that stats can be a part of the analysis. Whatever edge I can find. This is my first year REALLY crunching the numbers. DC in the past, sure, but YPRR, that's relatively new to me. BOA was something I'd hear about, DOM as well, but together these seem to work towards a nice index. We'll see.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am

Estime just improved his 40 to a 4.58
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:55 am

yinzername wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am Estime just improved his 40 to a 4.58
That sounds like some major proday help to me.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:05 am

AZK wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:55 am
yinzername wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am Estime just improved his 40 to a 4.58
That sounds like some major proday help to me.
could be. if not tho, that's a better time on an assumably slower track
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:06 am

Yes, I think that is accurate. There are a ton of stats out there, YPRR (either single year, last year, or total college) is just one (and zone vs man as well). I've been following a guy on Twitter who is working on an index that take the top four most important traits—

Draft Capital—obviously, 1st round is important, the earlier the better, etc., on down to 2nd and 3rd.
BOA—<age 20

Here's a player profile for you.

+ 3.05 YPRR overall in his last season in college
+ 3.85 YPRR vs. Press in his last two seasons
+ 3.25 YPRR vs. Zone
+ 31% College Dominator
+ 89th Percentile Breakout
+ Early Declare
+ 21 years old
+ 1st Round Draft Capital

Sounds like a player someone would draft right?

That's Quentin Johnston in 2022.

Johnston was a flawed prospect, but he still met a bunch of key production thresholds. The issue with him was mostly how he got his production, which exposed a style of play that's hard to translate to the NFL.

I just don't like retrofitting 1% outcomes like Puka and using it as a strategy to identify the next Unicorn. Johnston was a better prospect than Puka. His statistical profile wasn't really the concern, as much as it was the eye test and playing style.

The NFL has all the same information that we do and more. If a player like Puka is crushing stats like YPRR and production vs. zone, but still goes 5th round, 99 out of 100 times....that's a really telling sign.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:08 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:06 am

BOA—<age 20

Here's a player profile for you.

+ 3.05 YPRR overall in his last season in college
+ 3.85 YPRR vs. Press in his last two seasons
+ 3.25 YPRR vs. Zone
+ 31% College Dominator
+ 89th Percentile Breakout
+ Early Declare
+ 21 years old
+ 1st Round Draft Capital

Sounds like a player someone would draft right?

That's Quentin Johnston in 2022.

Johnston was a flawed prospect, but he still met a bunch of key production thresholds. The issue with him was mostly how he got his production, which exposed a style of play that's hard to translate to the NFL.

I just don't like retrofitting 1% outcomes like Puka and using it as a strategy to identify the next Unicorn. Johnston was a better prospect than Puka, who's simply having a worse outcome.
Yeah, good point. And I’ve also seen on Twitter (don’t know how accurate this was) that there are plenty of guys with a high yprr that ended up being busts. So it might be good to throw a dart on a player like that but it’s not really any kind of “sure thing”, if that makes sense