Discussing draft pick plans/targets with league mates

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Discussing draft pick plans/targets with league mates

Postby skip » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Lumps wrote:So, it sounds like there isn't much open and honest dialogue. Shame.
I had a scenario a couple of years ago where I was discussing a free agent with another owner that I was planning to select in the middle of the 2nd rd. When the pick was nearly to me he traded up to the spot in front of me and selected the player. So I play things a little closer to the vest. That doesn't mean being dishonest at all...just not full disclosure.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

RichDynastyFB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RichDynastyFB » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:24 am

Trade Offer Rejected:
John's Team gave up:
Gore, Frank SFO RB
Moss, Santana WAS WR
Witten, Jason DAL TE

RAT gave up:
Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE
Watt, J.J. HOU DE

Comments: I don't want Frank Gore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So far, your offers far Gronk are frankly, insulting to my intelligence. Your offering me players on the cusp of fading for players entering their prime (or already there).With these offers I'll be willing to go with my 1.3 and 1.8 to bolster my RB situation and stick with what I have otherwise.

Rat

Rat,

That's fine athat you don't want Gore, but looking at your team, he would be a very significant upgrade over anyone there, especially with Tolbert becoming a free agent. He would be a good add for a couple years until you picks are ready to go, which likely will be a year or two out. Witten ws the #5 tight end last year and is only 29. He still has 5-7 years left at a high level. Moss is little bit of a wild card, but depending who Washington gets for a QB, he could have significant value.

I'd like to add Gronk, but at the right price. Only 12 points seperated Hernandez and Witten, so I'm fine with staying with Witten. I threw Watt in the request, but only as throw in, I don't have storng feelings on him either way.

For the record, I thought your response to my first offer was insulting.Forte is worth Hernandez and the pick. Then you wanted Titus Young and Witten on top of it. There was no chance that trade was going to happen.

Everybody values players differently. so you don't know until you ask. You;ve made trades that I didn't think made sense and I'm sure I've made trades that you didn't think made sense. Without throwing offers out there, you never know what people are thinking.

John

Hey John,

Given our WR/TE flex position, I highly value TE’s, Especially Hernandez and Gronk. In fact, Gronk was the 3rd highest scorer in the league last season as a receiver, only 25 pts behind Calvin Johnson. Therefore he could be started as a WR1, with Hernandez as the TE, a strategy I employed most weeks last season to great effect. Granted this strategy forces me to carry 3 TE’s, at least for the bye week, but in my mind it is well worth that price. I am admittedly weak (an understatement) at the RB position, but I see Gore as being phased out in SFO, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they picked up another RB in this year’s draft, Maybe he has 1 good year left, then it’s RBBC at best for him. I’m well aware that is the reason I can’t yet compete, but in my mind, I’ve built a great core at the other positions with young players, but I’m just not in Win Now mode, which is why I made a questionable trade to get Journeymen's pick this year, anticipating a good crop of RB’s coming out. So in my particular situation, I don’t want a “bridge”. It would take a wow offer to pry Gronk from me. Hernandez for for Witten and your 2nd could be doable, because it would solve my bye week situation. Or maybe Hernandez straight up for either Forte or CJ1K. Otherwise I’ll take my chances with the draft and wait another year or 2 to truly compete (tho 3rd wasn’t bad this year given my RB situation).

Rat

This is an actual discussion I recently had with a league mate recently. Our league is comprised of pretty knowledgeable owners, so it's pretty hard to BS others (tho John tried). But all-in-all, I try to be honest and explain my position vis-a-vis proposed trades.
Last edited by RichDynastyFB on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 Team-1 PPR -1 pt/10 yd rush/rec-4 pt pass TD-6 pt Rush TD-2 pt/tackle-6 pt/sack-8 pt Int.
Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2-3WR, 1-2 TE, 1PK, 2 DT/DE, 2LB, 2 CB/S

2014 League Champion

QB Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater
RB Le'Veon Bell, Justin Forsett, Giovanni Bernard, Theo Riddick
WR Keenan Allen, Jordy Nelson, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Dontae Moncrief, Marqise Lee,Davante Adams, Brandon LaFell, Allen Hurns, Kenny Stills
TE Rob Gronkowski, Greg Olsen, Delanie Walker
PK Mason Crosby
DE Jurrell Casey, Fletcher Cox
LB Lavonte David, Chris Borland
CB/S Kemal Ismael, H Smith,Robert Blanton, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 am

skip wrote:
Lumps wrote:So, it sounds like there isn't much open and honest dialogue. Shame.
I had a scenario a couple of years ago where I was discussing a free agent with another owner that I was planning to select in the middle of the 2nd rd. When the pick was nearly to me he traded up to the spot in front of me and selected the player. So I play things a little closer to the vest. That doesn't mean being dishonest at all...just not full disclosure.
Wow. That's a crappy move.