16 Team, SFlex, TE Premium, PPR Draft Strategy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joshuawrobbins
Starter
Starter

16 Team, SFlex, TE Premium, PPR Draft Strategy

Postby joshuawrobbins » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:45 am

Hello fellow community,

I am looking for advise on a startup draft. League is 16 team, super flex, TE premium, 1 pt. PPR for WR/RB. I have never participated in a 16 league and wonder if anyone has insight and experience they wish to share. Startup will include rookie placeholders and has a third round reversal. It is a snake draft outside the 3rd round reversal. I will also mention this league is full of locals with some but not tons of dynasty experience.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 16 Team, SFlex, TE Premium, PPR Draft Strategy

Postby Paul717 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:50 am

Sorry if some of this is obvious, but here is some context:

In my 16 team league (not SF), it used to be that rookie QBs drafted by the NFL in Round 1 could last until early / mid round 2. We were probably under-valuing QBs and that trend has rightfully reversed, those same QBs are now usually gone by pick 1.10 or so. During the season, there are of course no starting QBs on the waiver wire. Roughly half of the backup QBs would be rostered after our draft, so think roughly 50 QBs rostered in total.

I think many on this forum would advocate for rostering AT LEAST 3 starting QBs in SF, though obviously not every team will be able to do that with 16 teams. Don't get left out, you'll probably need to have 2 QBs after Round 3 if not Round 2. Are there going to be limits on how many QBs you can roster?

Perhaps in a league full of locals someone will be excited to grab say JJ and Chase in the first 2 rounds. Sounds fun but assuming QBs are the highest scoring players in the scoring system, that team won't be competitive unless they get lucky later with QBs somehow.

I would have to guess in a 16 team SF league, at least 64 QBs would be rostered. Maybe more?

I don't know if any of this rambling is helpful !
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:43 pm

Pound QB.
Don't forget that rookie picks 1.01 and 1.02 should be QBs, and probably pick 1.03 as well.

What are your starting requirements? How much is the premium for TE? Can you trade in your startup? Do you have access to 2025 picks?
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:09 pm

What my previous poster said.

It's difficult enough to get two good qbs in a 12 team SF. In a 16 teamer it is almost impossible. I would 100% go qb early and often. If others don't, double down and take even more good qbs and make them pay for it later. Only exception to the rule to me would be going la Porta or one of the other top young tight ends, and that only of the te premium is legit, like 2ppr or something.

I personally also like trading out of the top 5 qbs this year for additional value, if you happen to get one of those spots. The top tier (at least to me) is larger than most years with the usual suspects of mahomes, allen, hurts, lamar, burrow etc (herbert, Lawrence, Dak etc), but also a few very, very capable newcomers in stroud, love, purdy and Richardson (maybe) etc.

I'd much rather have say love and few extra picks than mahomes or allen in a 16 team format, if someone is willing to pay.

But generally speaking, if you have 2 solid young qbs (and maybe even a third if the draft falls that way), you'll be golden for years in a league like that. The saying is usually that QBs won't ever be as cheap as they are in a draft, and I've experienced that to be 100% accurate.

On a side note, I've not heard of a "reversal" in a snake draft. Does that mean that the last pick has 1.16, 2.01,and then 3.01/4.16? Or say the guy in first has 1.01, 2.16, 3.16? That sounds odd, and like a pretty crappy deal for that person.

joshuawrobbins
Starter
Starter

Postby joshuawrobbins » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:58 pm

abloom wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:43 pm Pound QB.
Don't forget that rookie picks 1.01 and 1.02 should be QBs, and probably pick 1.03 as well.

What are your starting requirements? How much is the premium for TE? Can you trade in your startup? Do you have access to 2025 picks?
Start ten players. 2 PPR for TEs. Yes we can trade in the startup and two years of rookie picks are available 2025 and 2026. And like we said, 2024 rookie place holders are included in this startup draft. I appreciate the help, where do you expect to see 1.01 to get drafted? Mid first round?

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:59 pm

3rd round reversal is pretty common and exactly as described above. It decreases the value of the team lucky enough to draft in the 1st slot, and increases the value for the team drafting in the 16th slot, in this case. I've only done 3rd round reversal in 12 team drafts, a 16 team draft may really hurt the team drafting 1.01.
I have done leagues where instead of randomly picking teams draft slot, we would randomly pick teams draft slot choice. So the team that gets #1 can choose which draft slot he drafts in, and so forth. I think that would be worth doing in your 16 team draft.

And I would not blindly follow the QB trend. There are only maybe, maybe!, 20 good stable QBs. After you draft your 1st QB, your choice of a 2nd QB may not be great. I would not force a QB over a stud WR, RB or TE.
Last edited by remedy29 on Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshuawrobbins
Starter
Starter

Postby joshuawrobbins » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:02 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:09 pm What my previous poster said.

It's difficult enough to get two good qbs in a 12 team SF. In a 16 teamer it is almost impossible. I would 100% go qb early and often. If others don't, double down and take even more good qbs and make them pay for it later. Only exception to the rule to me would be going la Porta or one of the other top young tight ends, and that only of the te premium is legit, like 2ppr or something.

I personally also like trading out of the top 5 qbs this year for additional value, if you happen to get one of those spots. The top tier (at least to me) is larger than most years with the usual suspects of mahomes, allen, hurts, lamar, burrow etc (herbert, Lawrence, Dak etc), but also a few very, very capable newcomers in stroud, love, purdy and Richardson (maybe) etc.

I'd much rather have say love and few extra picks than mahomes or allen in a 16 team format, if someone is willing to pay.

But generally speaking, if you have 2 solid young qbs (and maybe even a third if the draft falls that way), you'll be golden for years in a league like that. The saying is usually that QBs won't ever be as cheap as they are in a draft, and I've experienced that to be 100% accurate.

On a side note, I've not heard of a "reversal" in a snake draft. Does that mean that the last pick has 1.16, 2.01,and then 3.01/4.16? Or say the guy in first has 1.01, 2.16, 3.16? That sounds odd, and like a pretty crappy deal for that person.
It’s 2 pt PPR for TE. How high would you take Laporta knowing the premium? Yeah I’m not in love with the 3rd round reversal, not my idea. Like you said, the guy at 1.01 gets 1.01, 2.16, 3.16, 4.01 etc. I appreciate the help man. Any other advise?

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:56 am

joshuawrobbins wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:58 pm
abloom wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:43 pm Pound QB.

Start ten players. 2 PPR for TEs. Yes we can trade in the startup and two years of rookie picks are available 2025 and 2026. And like we said, 2024 rookie place holders are included in this startup draft. I appreciate the help, where do you expect to see 1.01 to get drafted? Mid first round?
still need to know what the specific requirements are to start:
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2 Flex is different than 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 1SF, 5 Flex, especially in a 16 teamer

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

joshuawrobbins
Starter
Starter

Postby joshuawrobbins » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:36 am

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2 Flex

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:46 am

joshuawrobbins wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:36 am 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2 Flex
Okay, last question, do you know where you are picking yet?

Pretty much with your first 3 picks you need to decide if you are going to try to compete in 2024 or 2025. The reason is the 2RB starting requirement.

Personally I'd rather look to build around QBs, WRs, and maybe a younger TE with my first 5-6 picks. Then pick up scraps for RB. Maybe i can cobble together a couple RBs like Mostert, A Jones, J Conners, Monty from this year with later picks to compete. As of right now though, I'm not really sure (besides I think A Jones) who the undervalued vet RBs may be.

I would probably just pound QB and WR. early and often.

If you can trade in the startup, I'd try to be fluid and move up and down to either grab the last QB/WR in a teir for you, or move down if you are at the begining of the Teir.

2024 pick slots wise I think we're probably looking at 6-7 first round picks i'm gonna feel good about. should be 3 QBs, 2-3 WR, and a TE.

Overall:
I see my first 6-7 picks being QB/WR/young TE/draft picks 1-7. I want to build a strong core that i can add vet rbs to later in the draft and in future years to compete. I don't want to sell my 2025 picks or later because if I do, and make a bad move, its going to be more crippling in a 16 team league. Also, ALL projected backup QBs should be drafted, especially your own. I'd even draft someone like Flacco because while he may have been released by the browns, he probably did enough to be a potential starter next year.

Feel free to post specific questions to your draft in the Dynasty Team Advice forum.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 am

abloom wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:46 am

Pretty much with your first 3 picks you need to decide if you are going to try to compete in 2024 or 2025. The reason is the 2RB starting requirement.

Personally I'd rather look to build around QBs, WRs, and maybe a younger TE with my first 5-6 picks. Then pick up scraps for RB. Maybe i can cobble together a couple RBs like Mostert, A Jones, J Conners, Monty from this year with later picks to compete. As of right now though, I'm not really sure (besides I think A Jones) who the undervalued vet RBs may be.

If you can trade in the startup, I'd try to be fluid and move up and down to either grab the last QB/WR in a teir for you, or move down if you are at the begining of the Teir.

2024 pick slots wise I think we're probably looking at 6-7 first round picks i'm gonna feel good about. should be 3 QBs, 2-3 WR, and a TE.

Overall:
I see my first 6-7 picks being QB/WR/young TE/draft picks 1-7. I want to build a strong core that i can add vet rbs to later in the draft and in future years to compete. I don't want to sell my 2025 picks or later because if I do, and make a bad move, its going to be more crippling in a 16 team league. Also, ALL projected backup QBs should be drafted, especially your own. I'd even draft someone like Flacco because while he may have been released by the browns, he probably did enough to be a potential starter next year.

Feel free to post specific questions to your draft in the Dynasty Team Advice forum.
Solid advice here…especially about the RBs. Focus on QB and WR
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

joshuawrobbins
Starter
Starter

Postby joshuawrobbins » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:26 am

Thanks all for the great advice. We do not know draft spots yet. I will update this board once we know our positions!

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:13 am

TheTroll wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 am
abloom wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:46 am

Overall:

Solid advice here…especially about the RBs. Focus on QB and WR
I agree with all of this.

As to your te question, I'm currently in a 2qb 2te startup (1.5 ppr for te, but because we HAVE to start two I'd say they have similar value to tight ends in your 2ppr league), and LaPorta went before any non qb at 1.07. Mcbride and Kincaid went round 2, all other tight ends more than a round later.

17 of our first 22 picks were quarterbacks (I count the first 3 rookie pick in that as well - 1.01 went at 1.10 btw), plus 3 wrs and 2 tight ends. I would expect your draft to go similarly.

I'd definitely prefer to pick later in your draft I think. If you can get something like purdy/love to start out the draft I think that is much better than picking at 1 and getting allen/mahomes but no 2nd qb.