All Things Bears

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: All Things Bears

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:46 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:29 am Why do the Lions feel fake? They have had a top 5 offense the past 2 years and keep adding more young, Elite weapons. ARSB, Laporta and Gibbs is a solid trio for the future. Throw in Jamo and Monty as well. Top 5 offense is something they haven't had since Calvin and they only were top 10 once with him.

Take a guess when the last time Chicago was top 5 in offense yards
I’d guess the perception of the O being driven by Goff has a whole lot to do with that. That Stafford/Goff exchange was just a win all around for both each team and each QB.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am

Payton34 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am Let's look at this quote from an anonymous D Coordinator:

“If he has to pass to win the game, they ain’t winning the game,” the anonymous coordinator told The Athletic. “He’s so unique as an athlete and he’s really a good football player, but I don’t (care) if he wins the league MVP 12 times, I don’t think he’ll ever be a 1 as a quarterback. He’ll be a 1 as a football player, but not as a quarterback. So many games come down to two-minute, and that is why they have a hard time advancing even when they are good on defense. Playoffs are tight. You have to be able to throw the ball, and he is just so inconsistent throwing the ball. It is hit or miss.”

Oh...

...He's not talking about Fields, he's talking about Lamar Jackson?

Anyway, I'm not saying Fields is Lamar Jackson, but this IS from two offseasons ago when everyone was questioning Lamar. The ole, "He's a good athlete, but can't throw."... I'd say the Ravens added some talent around him and we're seeing it pay dividends and Jackson has improved! He'll likely win the MVP this year.

It isn't impossible, and actually is QUITE possible. Fields has the skills. We gave him a WR to throw to this year other than Mooney and Equinimious St Brown and Co. and he improved. As has been said, maybe we can add one more defensive piece, as our D has really started to ball. Give Fields another target or two and better protection... I can see him thriving.
This is feeling like exactly what the Giants are going through with Daniel Jones. Where you have a QB who is talented and doing enough to make it clear that he is a starter, but hasn't proven that he's actually a franchise QB.

Except, the Bears have the ultimate get-out-of-jail free card by drafting Caleb Williams and resetting the clock.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:13 am

CGW wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:29 am Why do the Lions feel fake? They have had a top 5 offense the past 2 years and keep adding more young, Elite weapons. ARSB, Laporta and Gibbs is a solid trio for the future. Throw in Jamo and Monty as well. Top 5 offense is something they haven't had since Calvin and they only were top 10 once with him.

Is the answer never? It feels like never.
Walter Payton era. Think it was 1977

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:58 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am
Payton34 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am Let's look at this quote from an anonymous D Coordinator:

“If he has to pass to win the game, they ain’t winning the game,” the anonymous coordinator told The Athletic. “He’s so unique as an athlete and he’s really a good football player, but I don’t (care) if he wins the league MVP 12 times, I don’t think he’ll ever be a 1 as a quarterback. He’ll be a 1 as a football player, but not as a quarterback. So many games come down to two-minute, and that is why they have a hard time advancing even when they are good on defense. Playoffs are tight. You have to be able to throw the ball, and he is just so inconsistent throwing the ball. It is hit or miss.”

Oh...

Anyway, I'm not saying Fields is Lamar Jackson, but this IS from two offseasons ago when everyone was questioning Lamar. The ole, "He's a good athlete, but can't throw."... I'd say the Ravens added some talent around him and we're seeing it pay dividends and Jackson has improved! He'll likely win the MVP this year.

It isn't impossible, and actually is QUITE possible. Fields has the skills. We gave him a WR to throw to this year other than Mooney and Equinimious St Brown and Co. and he improved. As has been said, maybe we can add one more defensive piece, as our D has really started to ball. Give Fields another target or two and better protection... I can see him thriving.
This is feeling like exactly what the Giants are going through with Daniel Jones. Where you have a QB who is talented and doing enough to make it clear that he is a starter, but hasn't proven that he's actually a franchise QB.

Except, the Bears have the ultimate get-out-of-jail free card by drafting Caleb Williams and resetting the clock.
I mean that's a worse case scenario, obviously. I see Fields as maybe more of a Kirk Cousins trajectory. He's good at times, but also can frustrate the fanbase by just not being able to get them over the top... But in his absence I think the Vikes discovered that the problem is not Cousins and never was...
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 1 2nd 2.17… 1 3rd 3.31…

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:43 am

Payton34 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:58 am

Oh...

I mean that's a worse case scenario, obviously. I see Fields as maybe more of a Kirk Cousins trajectory. He's good at times, but also can frustrate the fanbase by just not being able to get them over the top... But in his absence I think the Vikes discovered that the problem is not Cousins and never was...
I was a huge fan of Lamar.. not all of the people who are out on Fields suffer from the same biases that had people saying that Lamar is a running back.

Show me the year that Lamar was setting all-time sack records or had a negative EPA on pass plays... and that man played with some truly atrocious WR rooms throughout his career

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:43 am

I was a huge fan of Lamar.. not all of the people who are out on Fields suffer from the same biases that had people saying that Lamar is a running back.

Show me the year that Lamar was setting all-time sack records or had a negative EPA on pass plays... and that man played with some truly atrocious WR rooms throughout his career
Two points here:

1) The Ravens were WAY more established when Lamar was drafted. They had a good coach in place that wasn’t going anywhere.

2) The Bears’ WR corps has been every bit as bad as the Ravens were.

QBs - P Mahomes,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:10 pm

Payton34 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm

Two points here:

1) The Ravens were WAY more established when Lamar was drafted. They had a good coach in place that wasn’t going anywhere.

Not the point.

Lamar won the MVP his first season as a starter with a similarly bereft WR room.

Fields can't even get a positive EPA on pass plays with a top 12 WR in DJ Moore and a top 12 TE in Cole Kmet

Lamar is 1 of 1 and nothing Fields has done in the NFL outside of being an elite runner is remotely similar.

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:17 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:10 pm
Payton34 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm

Two points here:

Not the point.

Lamar won the MVP his first season as a starter with a similarly bereft WR room.

Fields can't even get a positive EPA on pass plays with a top 12 WR in DJ Moore and a top 12 TE in Cole Kmet

Lamar is 1 of 1 and nothing Fields has done in the NFL outside of being an elite runner is remotely similar.
Lamar… Harbaugh

Fields … Nagy, Eberflus

You cannot tell me franchise stability and HC quality doesn’t play a role here.

QBs - P Mahomes,
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:03 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:56 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:51 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:30 pm

Doesn't have to use two top 10 picks though.
Bengals did this in 2020 when they drafted Burrow in round 1 and Higgins in round 2.

Then took Chase the following year, 2021.
No, but I like those three WRs. Who would you take at 10 instead of a WR? LT? DE? Something else?
I get that fantasy players value fantasy players over non-fantasy players, And WR is a need for the Bears, but Edge rusher and CB are also needs for Chicago.

I think Odunze as a top 10 pick but is a slight of a reach at 10.
I think Odunze is borderline top 15, but a slight reach at 10.
However, many teams reach every year too.
Lions reached on Gibbs at 12 last year, and that seems to have paid off for them.

If Laiata Latu is still on the board, I could not see the Bears passing on him.
if they resign Johnson, i see CB as an asset.

i view edge and wr as the biggest holes.... followed by saftey (assuming eddie is on the way out). defiantly need a center. and then of course the qb wild card. i keep going back and forth of fields. Poles has a tough job this year
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm

81- wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:03 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:56 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:51 pm

No, but I like those three WRs. Who would you take at 10 instead of a WR? LT? DE? Something else?
I get that fantasy players value fantasy players over non-fantasy players, And WR is a need for the Bears, but Edge rusher and CB are also needs for Chicago.

I think Odunze as a top 10 pick but is a slight of a reach at 10.
I think Odunze is borderline top 15, but a slight reach at 10.
However, many teams reach every year too.
Lions reached on Gibbs at 12 last year, and that seems to have paid off for them.

If Laiata Latu is still on the board, I could not see the Bears passing on him.
if they resign Johnson, i see CB as an asset.

i view edge and wr as the biggest holes.... followed by saftey (assuming eddie is on the way out). defiantly need a center. and then of course the qb wild card. i keep going back and forth of fields. Poles has a tough job this year
There is about a 0% chance they don't franchise tag Johnson or extend him. CB is definitely one of the biggest strengths the Bears have currently.

gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Postby gmoftheyear » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:32 pm

I drafted Fields 3 years ago and think he has improved each year. Getting D.J Moore this year was a start in the right direction. Fields needs better consistent o-line play and probably a new offensive coordinator. I had hopes for Getsy bringing the best out of Fields but his game plans are inconsistent at best. That Monday night game in Minnesota where they threw like 15 wide receiver screens. Brutal ! I've seen Fields make some really great throws. I mean, I think the Bears would be crazy to start over with another QB unless they really want to get another QB on a rookie deal but then use picks to build around Caleb Williams if that's who they would pick. Either way, I would think Fields would have some teams that would want him.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:37 pm

I just want them to beat the Packers this weekend.

Then if Seattle can manage to be Arizona, it will be the 2nd year in a row they backed into the playoffs on the final weekend with a Green Bay loss. Last year it was the Lions serving up a Seahawk wildcard. Good stuff!
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:17 pm

IDK, because the Bears beat them last time? They have played well, as you mention the players, they sound good LOL. I mean, they are in first. Yeah, the Bears have sucked for a long time, easy to pick on us LOL.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:08 pm

mild wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:06 am He's not worth a top 12 pick. His contract is prohibitive, and the Bears don't have leverage. Early 2nd, late first at most. At most. I can't see that TBH. I think a 2nd is much more realistic.
His contract is not prohibitive in the slightest.

He counts a mere 6 million against the cap in 2024, or, if you prefer: "1/7th of a Daniel Jones"

The 2025 option is currently estimated at 23 million. Or, if you prefer: "1/2 a Daniel Jones"

The Bears have until May to exercise that option. My sense is that any acquiring team will make sure it's exercised, to give themselves leverage in case Fields has a big year when placed in a system with more weapons and better offensive coaching.
See: 2022 Daniel Jones.

Just shy of 30 million for 2 years of contract-controlled Justin Fields is pretty good business, actually. Daniel Jones!
It's absolutely prohibitive in getting a top 12 pick, which is the context in what I used it in. Fields isn't worth close to that. That's my point. You don't give up a pick that was equivalent to what Fields originally cost for a guy who's rookie deal is approaching it's end. He hasn't done close to enough to land the original cost with most of the cheap contract now expired.

Daniel Jones doesn't have any relevance to my statement, talking about the contract being prohibitive in landing the desired top 12 pick the poster I was quoting was talking about.

Fetching a 2nd to get the 2 years left of Fields deal seems much more realistic.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:55 pm

So for the Bears fans still on the fence about moving on from Fields... are you seeing what you need to see today thus far?

For context - the last ten weeks of this Bears "hot streak":

Week 7 - lost to the Vikings 19-13
Week 8 - beat the Raiders 30-12
Week 9 - lost to the Chargers 30-13
Week 10 - lost to the Saints 24-17
Week 11 - beat the Panthers 16-13
Week 12 - lost to the Lions 31-26
Week 13 - beat the Vikings 12-10
Week 14 - beat the Lions 28-13
Week 15 - lost to the Browns 20-17
Week 16 - beat the Cardinals 27-16
Week 17 - beat the Falcons 37-17

Week 18 - early days yet - but currently losing to the Packers 14-6 midway through the 3rd Quarter.

Where are the quality wins in that "hot streak"?

Why are the Fields stans so hesitant to move on?

Apart from beating the Lions in Week 14, all I see are wins against bad teams, and losses to good ones.

Seems to be repeating today against (lo and behold) another playoff-quality opponent... against the vaunted Joe Barry defense no less!

I really don't understand the hesitation. It's time to reset at QB.