Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 pm

He’s no Tom Brady

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Bryce Young

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:57 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:51 pm Imagine being the staff on the Panthers, seeing the results of that Houston game, and the owner telling you your on the hot seat, because he (allegedly) wanted this guy instead of the one you wanted.
Reich should be fired tomorrow. Why wait until the end of the season? He was a joke as a hire and is an even bigger joke as an actual head coach. :thumbdown:
The owner shouldn't have meddled, they'd have Stroud. Of course, for Stroud, that could be a good thing. Texans looking like they got it right, and losing their first for Anderson, isn't that big a deal now, it's an early first, as projected.

Panthers will be a mess for years, it's not likely they got the pick right, and of course, new system, new staff etc for Young will be a new challenge.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:57 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:51 pm Imagine being the staff on the Panthers, seeing the results of that Houston game, and the owner telling you your on the hot seat, because he (allegedly) wanted this guy instead of the one you wanted.
Reich should be fired tomorrow. Why wait until the end of the season? He was a joke as a hire and is an even bigger joke as an actual head coach. :thumbdown:
The owner shouldn't have meddled, they'd have Stroud. Of course, for Stroud, that could be a good thing. Texans looking like they got it right, and losing their first for Anderson, isn't that big a deal now, it's an early first, as projected.

Panthers will be a mess for years, it's not likely they got the pick right, and of course, new system, new staff etc for Young will be a new challenge.
I hear you and I agree the owner maybe should not have meddled. But I think Reich is so bad as a head coach he would have not put CJS in the best position to succeed.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:15 am

There's a lot of conflicting info out here, but it's worth noting that Jay Glazer said that the Bears and Texans had a handshake deal on a trade involving #1 and #2. The Texans were going to draft Bryce Young at #1. When it came time to finalize it, the assets in the deal shifted and it wasn't what the Bears thought they were getting. Carolina upped their offer (originally they did not want to give up D.J. Moore or Brian Burns in the deal) and that was that.

So, both the Texans and Panthers had Young as QB1, but it's worked out for Houston tremendously so far. I don't believe owners should get heavily involved in things like this either, but at least for this time, it didn't seem to be something egregious.

With that said, the Reich hire and what they've surrounded Young with in Y1 are a huge disappointment.

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:41 am

The worst part of this is that Chicago has Carolina's pick which they will use to draft either Caleb or Maye and pair him with MHjr

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:46 am

zeeshan2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:41 am

The worst part of this is that Chicago has Carolina's pick which they will use to draft either Caleb or Maye and pair him with MHjr
it's the bears, they'll balls that up.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:52 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:46 am

Agree, I don't see them getting both Williams and MHJr. Arizona, New York, and possibly New England will make that tough.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:01 am

CGW wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:52 am

Agree, I don't see them getting both Williams and MHJr. Arizona, New York, and possibly New England will make that tough.
If they end up with one of those QBs + the tackle from Penn State, that's a great outcome.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:04 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:01 am

If they end up with one of those QBs + the tackle from Penn State, that's a great outcome.
... until they play and bust. cos it's the bears.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:27 pm

Somehow - he plays smaller than he is. Still though the anticipation and accuracy has flashed. A real staff would be a start, could be a Goff like trajectory.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:41 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:01 am

Agree, they should get a top prospect at QB and likely the best offensive lineman available.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:43 pm

I would sell low. Get a late first in SF, if you can. Try for a mid, but this team sucks, and he's not an elevator. How bad is the pressure going to be once the fan base sees that they traded an early first, 2nd, DJ Moore, the 1.01 next year, plus.....for him. Likely in a new system next year, too.

He's not talented enough to overcome the dysfunction there. He was never worthy of that trade, and that's not his fault. However, he's going to have to live up to it, and I don't think he can.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:43 pm I would sell low. Get a late first in SF, if you can. Try for a mid, but this team sucks, and he's not an elevator. How bad is the pressure going to be once the fan base sees that they traded an early first, 2nd, DJ Moore, the 1.01 next year, plus.....for him. Likely in a new system next year, too.

He's not talented enough to overcome the dysfunction there. He was never worthy of that trade, and that's not his fault. However, he's going to have to live up to it, and I don't think he can.
Your analysis of Young is really interesting considering how you approach similar analysis with Jordan Love in the other thread.

Young is playing with one of the worst supporting casts in the league right now. And Reich has been an awful hire. Why sell low? There's precedent for #1 picks starting in awful situations and seeing it improve. If they were locked into this, it would be concerning.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:07 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:43 pm I would sell low. Get a late first in SF, if you can. Try for a mid, but this team sucks, and he's not an elevator. How bad is the pressure going to be once the fan base sees that they traded an early first, 2nd, DJ Moore, the 1.01 next year, plus.....for him. Likely in a new system next year, too.

Your analysis of Young is really interesting considering how you approach similar analysis with Jordan Love in the other thread.

Young is playing with one of the worst supporting casts in the league right now. And Reich has been an awful hire. Why sell low? There's precedent for #1 picks starting in awful situations and seeing it improve. If they were locked into this, it would be concerning.
Can't speak for FF here but since I hold similar evaluations of these two players I figured I'd chime in.

I just don't see anything to be optimistic about with Bryce. He looks small out there, isn't making great decisions and sure, his situation is not ideal but he's making it look worse than it really is. Andy Dalton threw for 361 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTs in that same situation in his lone start this year... this isn't an insurmountably bad situation just an insurmountable one for Love this season.

The Packers are also an historically stable organization that has shown the ability to both draft and develop their players well. Jordan Love has had some stinkers but there were always underlying flashes of brilliance and he was thrown to the wolves this off-season with the youngest receiving core in the NFL with the "veterans" being 2nd year WRs Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Samori Toure... and the offense just looked young out there. Consistently running blatantly incorrect routes and commiting mistakes at a rate that's highluy unusual for an NFL offense. It was the blind leading the blind out there and it's no mistake that this offense is looking much better as these guys continue to get NFL reps.

We also saw Jordan elevate this offense to begin the year with Doubs being his number 1 WR before defenses picked up on his tendencies and he went through a slump. In the past 3 games we've seen him break out of that slump like the good maturing QBs do. We'll see where his growth ends but he's shown the ability to improve throughout his career which is something that we've yet to see Bryce do.

To your point, it's not really a fair comparison. Bryce is a true rookie that's also going through his own baptism by fire and if Jordan were to have played his rookie year instead of developing behind the scenes we'd likely have heard loud chants of "bust" and "sell low" advice about him, as well.

I hear your argument about his draft capital affording him some additional lee way and while it does have merit I'm not sure if Bryce is all that comparable to the other 1.01's that have righted the ship after a poor start. Stafford and Peyton Manning were both universally accepted 1.01's with Manning's pedigree being thrown in with the John Elway's of the world. You've heard from numerous teams that evaluated Bryce as just one of the top QB prospects in this draft class with Stroud (who looks like he should've been the slam dunk 1.01), AR and depending on who you ask Will Levis.

So the closest real comparable would be someone like Jared Goff who has had his moments but never truly lived up to his draft capital.

IMO I'm not sure I'd sell low on Bryce right now. He's probably more of a hold and pray if you need QB help but if you're deep at the position I could see selling him for a mid 1st in what is looking like to be a deep SF draft. :thumbup:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:38 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:07 pm Can't speak for FF here but since I hold similar evaluations of these two players I figured I'd chime in.

I just don't see anything to be optimistic about with Bryce. He looks small out there, isn't making great decisions and sure, his situation is not ideal but he's making it look worse than it really is. Andy Dalton threw for 361 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTs in that same situation in his lone start this year... this isn't an insurmountably bad situation just an insurmountable one for Love this season.

The Packers are also an historically stable organization that has shown the ability to both draft and develop their players well. Jordan Love has had some stinkers but there were always underlying flashes of brilliance and he was thrown to the wolves this off-season with the youngest receiving core in the NFL with the "veterans" being 2nd year WRs Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Samori Toure... and the offense just looked young out there. Consistently running blatantly incorrect routes and commiting mistakes at a rate that's highluy unusual for an NFL offense. It was the blind leading the blind out there and it's no mistake that this offense is looking much better as these guys continue to get NFL reps.

We also saw Jordan elevate this offense to begin the year with Doubs being his number 1 WR before defenses picked up on his tendencies and he went through a slump. In the past 3 games we've seen him break out of that slump like the good maturing QBs do. We'll see where his growth ends but he's shown the ability to improve throughout his career which is something that we've yet to see Bryce do.

To your point, it's not really a fair comparison. Bryce is a true rookie that's also going through his own baptism by fire and if Jordan were to have played his rookie year instead of developing behind the scenes we'd likely have heard loud chants of "bust" and "sell low" advice about him, as well.

I hear your argument about his draft capital affording him some additional lee way and while it does have merit I'm not sure if Bryce is all that comparable to the other 1.01's that have righted the ship after a poor start. Stafford and Peyton Manning were both universally accepted 1.01's with Manning's pedigree being thrown in with the John Elway's of the world. You've heard from numerous teams that evaluated Bryce as just one of the top QB prospects in this draft class with Stroud (who looks like he should've been the slam dunk 1.01), AR and depending on who you ask Will Levis.

So the closest real comparable would be someone like Jared Goff who has had his moments but never truly lived up to his draft capital.

IMO I'm not sure I'd sell low on Bryce right now. He's probably more of a hold and pray if you need QB help but if you're deep at the position I could see selling him for a mid 1st in what is looking like to be a deep SF draft. :thumbup:
It's funny, because with all the concern about his size, it really hasn't been an issue. He's taken a ton of hits and made some great throws through contact. His size isn't preventing him from seeing the field in an optimal way either.

Young's issue right now is that he rarely has leeway to elevate the offense. It's an offense loaded with players losing matchups at the LOS and receivers who don't get open. On top of that, the play calling is miserable and they simply don't have a way to hide clear talent deficiencies. It's a huge dropoff compared to what Green Bay is dealing with, which is lack of experience and chemistry as opposed to lack of talent. What Greg Olsen said in today's game is spot on. It's impossible to make strong evaluations on Young's future when he doesn't have a chance to play the position anywhere near the way it's intended.

I agree with you that his decision making has been poor, though a lot of that is rooted in everything being sped up from pressure and having to force your way into making something from nothing. His best plays this season are all under pressure throws.

Obviously, he's not an all-time great prospect like a Trevor Lawrence or Peyton Manning. But he's the next tier down as far as production goes and he dominated the best conference in college football despite size concerns. So, it's not like we're talking about some B- prospect here. I think giving this time makes sense when you see the pure lack of chances he's getting to do anything worthwhile.