Joshua Palmer anyone?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: Joshua Palmer anyone?

Postby hoos89 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 am

dustyroads wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 am I think he's a hold to see what happens, but been frustrating as an owner. Can blame luck, or me not knowing the "secret" of when to start him, but he's played in 9 games. 5 of them he put up worthwhile numbers, 4 he did not, and I seem to have guessed wrong the majority of the season lol. And 3 of those 5 "good" games, he was WR20, WR25, and WR33. His season long stats don't tell the full picture of his inconsistency. And comparing him to rookie WRs is kind of a lol... yeah I'd hope he'd be better than most of them as he's in his second year.

Hopefully he replaces Allen next season and gets more consistent targets, and more consistent scoring for fantasy. I still think his most valuable asset is being attached to Herbert, otherwise IMO nothing that he's specifically doing sets him apart from the rest of the WR3s in the barrel.
If he was setting himself apart he wouldn't be a WR3, but he's looking much more promising than this time last season. He's also much cheaper than a lot of other players who have been WR3s to date this season (Mike Williams, Gabe Davis, JuJu, McLaurin, Godwin, Metcalf, Devonta Smith).

As a contender in typical 12 team leagues, I don't think you ever feel great about starting a WR3.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:09 pm

dustyroads wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 amAnd 3 of those 5 "good" games, he was WR20, WR25, and WR33.
How is that supposed to be a negative? Those are quality starter numbers, not everyone can be top 5 -10. A 12 team league that starts at least 3 WRs, which most do these days including flex spots, is 36 starting WRs league wide. So he was well worth starting in all 3 of those games you are for some reason discounting.

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:31 pm

He's the only player that I have in all 3 of my 32-teamers. Liked his college tape (lack of production wasn't his fault) and situation coming into the league. Had similar measurements as Keenan Allen and the luxury to be able to learn from him, and so far I see no reason why he wouldn't be in the conversation to replace Allen someday.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:47 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:09 pm
dustyroads wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 amAnd 3 of those 5 "good" games, he was WR20, WR25, and WR33.
How is that supposed to be a negative? Those are quality starter numbers, not everyone can be top 5 -10. A 12 team league that starts at least 3 WRs, which most do these days including flex spots, is 36 starting WRs league wide. So he was well worth starting in all 3 of those games you are for some reason discounting.
The point of those post is this season you have a 50/50 shot of getting him at one of those games. The other half of the time you're getting 5 points from him. In my flex spot, I'd rather have a higher consistent floor, than the potential of a high ceiling. But that's just me.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:56 pm

hoos89 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 am
dustyroads wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 am I think he's a hold to see what happens, but been frustrating as an owner. Can blame luck, or me not knowing the "secret" of when to start him, but he's played in 9 games. 5 of them he put up worthwhile numbers, 4 he did not, and I seem to have guessed wrong the majority of the season lol. And 3 of those 5 "good" games, he was WR20, WR25, and WR33. His season long stats don't tell the full picture of his inconsistency. And comparing him to rookie WRs is kind of a lol... yeah I'd hope he'd be better than most of them as he's in his second year.

Hopefully he replaces Allen next season and gets more consistent targets, and more consistent scoring for fantasy. I still think his most valuable asset is being attached to Herbert, otherwise IMO nothing that he's specifically doing sets him apart from the rest of the WR3s in the barrel.
If he was setting himself apart he wouldn't be a WR3, but he's looking much more promising than this time last season. He's also much cheaper than a lot of other players who have been WR3s to date this season (Mike Williams, Gabe Davis, JuJu, McLaurin, Godwin, Metcalf, Devonta Smith).

As a contender in typical 12 team leagues, I don't think you ever feel great about starting a WR3.
Williams was a WR1 until his injury, and McLaurin and Davis have been high end WR2s, so they should cost a lot more than him. And IMO, his talent shown so far doesn't hold a candle to any of the other guys you mentioned as Juju, Metcalf, and Godwin have all shown they can play at a WR1 level already. So that's probably where the disconnect is. As I said, he's a hold. But to me, his only current "upside" over the rest of the ACTUAL WR3s is being attached to Herbert.

And to your second point, no you don't typically feel great about starting a WR3. But when I am a contender, I'd prefer a higher floor from my flex guys and hope to have blow up games from my elite starters to win me weeks. It's only when I'm middle of the pack or lower in a league when I'm thinking about starting high upside guys in my flex as I need the chance of a high ceiling game to even be competitive. Least in my experience, YMMV.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:58 pm

PPG this season they are all WR3s. Understood they have performed higher in the past and have higher draft capital, measurable, etc, but they are WR 3s 11 weeks into this season.

And there aren't too many truly high floor guys averaging 12ppg (WR3 numbers). They'd need to have essentially 0 variance in output for that to be true. Metcalf, McLaurin, etc. have all had duds this season too.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:15 pm

Situation is overlooked far too often by fantasy football players. Palmer had plenty of talent and those that evaluate talent within a team structure are the ones that usually benefit from a player like Palmer.

It should have been obvious Palmer was going to have a ways to go on the development front to pass the two WR's in San Diego. He was a player that one drafts and patiently waits as contracts and age run their course.

A lot of what I read about Palmer makes me think of Kirk. Fantasy owners didn't believe he could play because others absorbed the target share. Once he got his chance he hasn't disappointed because his opportunity stats were outstanding. He just wasn't quite as good Hopkins. Palmer isn't quite as good as Allen but he is catching up to a point he will have a lot of very good games.

Palmer flashes WR1 upside. He should have been a target in the off season when he was inexpensive. He will cost more going forward now that he is developing Chemistry with Herbert.

He is a very good player and is getting close to a lock starter. By next season, I expect him to be a legit starter on most fantasy teams that run out 3-4 WR sets.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:37 am

Breakout year this year.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:45 pm

Ryantacular wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:37 am Breakout year this year.
Cool parody account you got here.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:08 pm

mild wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:45 pm
:lol: Waiting until Williams goes down with a season ending injury, and waiting a few more weeks until it's apparent QJ isn't getting involved, and Palmer has some decent production for consecutive weeks, it's pretty amusing, I must say. Had this been bumped at the start of the year, and it hit, props. Being bumped at this point, I mean, let's be honest, the timing here is a bit suspect. He's basically the WR2 the rest of the year, so he's going to produce somewhat, at this stage, barring injury (which can be used as an excuse if it happens), so there's not a lot of downside to this take, at this point. If he does have a "breakout year".....hey, you called it before anyone. :lol:

I mean, he was 72/769 last year, and now he's got the WR2 role, so I'm not accepting anything less than 1100 yards in an increased role as a breakout. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:19 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:08 pm
:lol: Waiting until Williams goes down with a season ending injury, and waiting a few more weeks until it's apparent QJ isn't getting involved, and Palmer has some decent production for consecutive weeks, it's pretty amusing, I must say. Had this been bumped at the start of the year, and it hit, props. Being bumped at this point, I mean, let's be honest, the timing here is a bit suspect. He's basically the WR2 the rest of the year, so he's going to produce somewhat, at this stage, barring injury (which can be used as an excuse if it happens), so there's not a lot of downside to this take, at this point. If he does have a "breakout year".....hey, you called it before anyone. :lol:

I mean, he was 72/769 last year, and now he's got the WR2 role, so I'm not accepting anything less than 1100 yards in an increased role as a breakout. :lol:
Bahaha been saying in my chats all off season and bought him everywhere cheap. Took a break from here but saw a Palmer thread pop up so figured I’d throw in my two cents.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:46 pm

Ryantacular wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:19 pm

Bahaha been saying in my chats all off season and bought him everywhere cheap. Took a break from here but saw a Palmer thread pop up so figured I’d throw in my two cents.
You're good man. I'm just busting your balls. I actually like Palmer. Didn't care for the Kendre comment though, he really hasn't had a chance to do much, but has looked good in the passing game. The entire NO's offense is the bigger concern for me, right now. Carmichael, not a fan of, myself. I'm totally fine with being wrong, but he's an underclassmen who had his entire offseason derailed by injury. I don't get how 2 games of no touches proves anything, long term.

Back to Palmer, I think he can be a good 4/5 catch guy this year for JH, and he's making more plays downfield, which is a good sign.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Two Cents
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Two Cents » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:47 pm

:lol: Waiting until Williams goes down with a season ending injury, and waiting a few more weeks until it's apparent QJ isn't getting involved, and Palmer has some decent production for consecutive weeks, it's pretty amusing, I must say. Had this been bumped at the start of the year, and it hit, props. Being bumped at this point, I mean, let's be honest, the timing here is a bit suspect.
Just here to collect my props. 8-) King Me
Two Cents wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:42 am
Ice wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:41 pm Very good player with a plus QB

Injuries are the concern but he has a first round value when on the field and Allen is getting up there.

Palmer though would be the WR to target from my perspective.
Mike Williams is a ticking injury bomb so I scooped Palmer for a 2nd mid season when KA got injured.

¢¢
¢¢

12 team SF TEP
STARTERS | BENCH
QB (1) Mayfield, Mac Jones, Garrapollo, Darnold, Dobbs
RB (2) Kyren Williams, Rachaad White, AJ Dillon, Gibson, K. Mitchell, Perine, CEH, Akers, Dowdle
WR (3) Collins, Palmer, Meyers, Chark, Boyd, Juju
TE (2) Laporta, Kmet , Schultz, J. Johnson, Fant, Dulcich
FLEX (3) Montgomery, Njoku, Brian Robinson
SF (1) Minshew