Theoretical - return of a top WR affecting other WRs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Theoretical - return of a top WR affecting other WRs

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:45 am

Thought gathering thread triggered by a specific scenario that got the gears turning.

A team’s WR has been out with an injury for a few games, and in the meantime one or two WRs on the team have stepped up and shined, showing some very credible higher end WR traits. The WR1 is not a top tier guy but has shown enough in the past that he has that WR1 talent for his team.

How do you factor the return of the WR1’s impact on the other WRs? Does he impact them negatively because he’s going to get enough opportunity that it diminishes the other guys, or does he draw enough coverage attention that even with less opportunities that those opportunities will be big enough with lesser coverage that the other guys are still reliable FF options?

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Theoretical - return of a top WR affecting other WRs

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:59 am

Buzz: Who is Jerry Jeudy?

All the talent with very mixed results. I don't think he'll ever be the WR1, but that's because he doesn't command the ball. He's a WR2 that's in the WR1 spot. I also think that it could be due to offensive design/QB play. Russ likes to spread the ball around. He seldomly stares down the same guy and utilizes the whole field. So the other WR could still succeed, but it'll be harder to predict when those WR will hit.

Ooo...fudge. 2nd BUZZ: Could be Christian Watson!

Similar start for a response, but we have zero data on how Love likes to spread the ball around. Watson should command the ball a little more, but all depends on their chemistry. It's still spread out on offense and unpredictable as for who will command the ball. They're all very young athletic WR that have their own pros/cons.

If there's a 3rd Buzz I can't think of it the moment.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:12 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:59 am Buzz: Who is Jerry Jeudy?

All the talent with very mixed results. I don't think he'll ever be the WR1, but that's because he doesn't command the ball. He's a WR2 that's in the WR1 spot. I also think that it could be due to offensive design/QB play. Russ likes to spread the ball around. He seldomly stares down the same guy and utilizes the whole field. So the other WR could still succeed, but it'll be harder to predict when those WR will hit.

Ooo...fudge. 2nd BUZZ: Could be Christian Watson!

Similar start for a response, but we have zero data on how Love likes to spread the ball around. Watson should command the ball a little more, but all depends on their chemistry. It's still spread out on offense and unpredictable as for who will command the ball. They're all very young athletic WR that have their own pros/cons.

If there's a 3rd Buzz I can't think of it the moment.
At first I thought he was talking about Cooper Kupp, but then he said he wasn’t elite, so your responses make more sense.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:31 am

As with all injury returns of non elite talents, it's a wait and see approach.

Maybe defenses focus on the previous wr1 maybe they focus on the recent producers. Maybe snap count/offensive scheme favors the previous wr1 maybe it favors the new guys. Maybe the QB maintains a great connection with the wr1 maybe he now has a better connection with the new guys.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

gpaok
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby gpaok » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:45 am

I might take some heat but it could be that Cooper Kupp starts to fall off the cliff and he could be no3 in the list. Hamstring injuries could linger and not let him perform to the level he has been therefore falling in this category.

So he would take targets from Puka, yet not generate the WR1 numbers is what I am saying.
10 team Dynasty Superflex, 1 PPR, 20 + 3 IR player roster
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SFlex, Flex, DEF

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen
RB: Nick Chubb, J.K. Dobbins, Travis Etienne, Rhamondre Stevenson, Rachaad White, Khalil Herbert, Tank Bigsby, Jaylen Warren, Jerome Ford, Kyren Williams, Tank Bigsby
WR: Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Ja’Marr Chase, Calvin Ridley, Tank Dell
TE:T.J. Hockenson, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:50 am

Really depends on offensive schemes, seems the more versatile the WR corps the more likely a WR1 will ball hog .. as in the best WR will find the weakest match-up ... Learned this lesson over and over in DFS .. you would think ooOOO, the nickel back isn't very good, I can have this sneaky slot WR play for cheap, but nope ... the WR1 would take that match up and blow up.

And some offensive schemes will have all their pass catchers line-up against that slot CB like the line in the movie in Airplane, which doesn't help anyone ...
@PlankMelody