The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:21 am

Had him around QB11 coming into the year. Still thought he could bounce back (still do, a little. He has a long leash due to contract). But given what I have seen from other QBs, he's probably closer to QB15 now.

Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Herbert, Lawrence, Burrow, Lamar, Richardson, Stroud, Love, and Tua are all ahead of him for me quite easily. Then Watson is probably in the same tier as Jones, Kyler, Dak, Purdy, Goff, Bryce, Fields(?). So QB12-19 range sounds about right.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:55 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:21 am Had him around QB11 coming into the year. Still thought he could bounce back (still do, a little. He has a long leash due to contract). But given what I have seen from other QBs, he's probably closer to QB15 now.

Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Herbert, Lawrence, Burrow, Lamar, Richardson, Stroud, Love, and Tua are all ahead of him for me quite easily. Then Watson is probably in the same tier as Jones, Kyler, Dak, Purdy, Goff, Bryce, Fields(?). So QB12-19 range sounds about right.
I think he’s at the bottom of the grouping you’ve listed with Fields. I’d also have Cousins pretty cleanly ahead of him. Dak as well. I probably have him with Stafford and Russell Wilson at this point and the only reason he’s even that high is that he’s six plus years younger.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:05 am

So satisfying seeing Mayfield at QB5 and Watson at QB25 this morning in our league. Neither are likely to last at their respective spot, but still…

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:10 am

ericanadian wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:55 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:21 am Had him around QB11 coming into the year. Still thought he could bounce back (still do, a little. He has a long leash due to contract). But given what I have seen from other QBs, he's probably closer to QB15 now.

I think he’s at the bottom of the grouping you’ve listed with Fields. I’d also have Cousins pretty cleanly ahead of him. Dak as well. I probably have him with Stafford and Russell Wilson at this point and the only reason he’s even that high is that he’s six plus years younger.
Yeah if you are competing, you surely would be more comfortable starting Dak or Cousins right now. Stafford looks great this year also. All on the other side of 30 though so it's interesting in comparison to Watson. Could be a buy low if you believe he bounces back.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:10 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:05 am So satisfying seeing Mayfield at QB5 and Watson at QB25 this morning in our league. Neither are likely to last at their respective spot, but still…
The Browns is still the Browns

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:47 pm Lot's of people discussing this.

https://twitter.com/TenCentBeers/status ... 5709111403

You know I'm really pulling for him......(Michael Scott?)

but it's not a great look, Baker would have been destroyed for this.

Watson's play, as discussed on the week 2 thread, has been downright bad since he came back last year. He looks like a shell of his former self on the field. Losing Chubb won't help, and that trade is already looking like it's ready to compete with the Russ trade.

Regardless, of opinions on his personal matters, he doesn't resemble anything close to an elite QB, and now entering his late 20's, his best days as a mobile QB are starting to fade, so what is the real draw, for FF, if he's not an elite passer?

Where would you put him in Dynasty ranks? I can't imagine he's top 10 for anyone. Where's the line you'd move off him for? Kyler.....Stroud etc?
When does Michael Scott say that? Or are you just saying that's something he'd probably say about Watson lol

Great point on Baker. Imagine how much better of as a franchise they'd be if they'd just stuck with Baker.

As for Watson. I don't get it. Do people really sell their souls just to be around someone with money? I always think about that when I see him smiling with teammates, shaking hands & talking after the game, etc. Like, are they thinking "nice game (not really so far), you're a scumbag" ? Does everyone just look the other way?

Anyway back to his play and fantasy value. I gave him a pass week 1, given the weather and defense. Part of me giving him a pass was probably "Joe Burrow looked worse than I've ever seen him look, the conditions must be pretty bad," which was probably flawed reasoning. Week 2: again, tough defense, but man did he look bad.

I took him at the 2.01 in a recent startup and wow am I regretting that. That's my last share of him, but on the rare occurrence I was buying him this off-season, I was buying the contract (I sure as hell wasn't buying the human). Dynasty values get inflated when a player is locked up long term, even more so when they're relatively young and locked up long-term with seemingly no way out.

I'd be selling if I could, but I don't think there will be much interest outside of desperation. I imagine I'd still have him ranked around 15, again, because of the contract. Let's see...
1/2/3 - Mahomes/Allen/Hurts
4/5/6 - Herbert/Jackson/Burrow
7/8/9 - Lawrence/Richardson/Tua
10/11/12 - Dak/Kyler/Stroud

It gets hairy pretty quick. The next 'run' of QBs would be: Young(?), Jones, Geno, Love, Pickett (gross), Goff, Russ, Cousins

All of those guys have significant questions of their own, so I think Watson still finds himself in the 12-15 range

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:29 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:15 am
It gets hairy pretty quick. The next 'run' of QBs would be: Young(?), Jones, Geno, Love, Pickett (gross), Goff, Russ, Cousins

All of those guys have significant questions of their own, so I think Watson still finds himself in the 12-15 range
At this point, I'd still put these three ahead of Watson as well. Just my preference.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:46 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:29 am

At this point, I'd still put these three ahead of Watson as well. Just my preference.
They're just not as flashy....(get it?) :wink:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:58 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:29 am

Love 100%. Cousins if competing, definitely. Watson/Goff is borderline for me. I wonder if DET gives him a Jones like contract. Though I suppose Goffs deal was the outline for Jones recent deal

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:18 am

I would take Stroud, Kyler, Bryce over Watson.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:35 am

chubnubbin wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:18 am I would take Stroud, Kyler, Bryce over Watson.
I'm not there yet on Bryce. But I agree with the others

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:39 am

Watson’s arrow is pointed sharply downward

Give me 25 QBs over him, including Bryce

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:05 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:35 am
chubnubbin wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:18 am I would take Stroud, Kyler, Bryce over Watson.
I'm not there yet on Bryce. But I agree with the others
Echo this.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:14 am

Watson’s game looks awful but his stats have been tolerable. If he can find his groove, there is room to climb. Watching him this past week was so painful. My biggest concern is his running. He just visibly looks a step slower to me and that hurts what he does best which is extending plays. Not to mention his accuracy was unwatchable.

He feels like a great buy if you like gambling. This could be a low moment for a great QB or it could be the beginning of the end. Maybe somewhere in between. All I know is that CLE sure wishes they had a do over.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, James Conner, Trey Benson, Jaylen Warren, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:46 am

Needalife wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:14 am Watson’s game looks awful but his stats have been tolerable.
I agree, but see to me, that screams sell.

Feels like just a matter of time before the stats match what we're seeing. I suppose the opposite is possible (what we see begins to match the tolerable stats). I guess it's a chicken or egg kinda thing.

But I think ultimately, the risk is looking FAR less likely to outweigh the reward.

The narrative I saw all off-season in favor of Watson (for those making the argument) was that we've only seen him be elite when he was actually on the field, aside from the small sample in 2022. (And holy bleep I just looked it up, they weren't wrong...from 2017-2020, he scored 24.7ppg, 21.3ppg, 22ppg, and 23.5ppg, respectively)

But we now have an 8 game sample that demonstrates he's probably not that guy anymore (with a off-season between to knock the rust off).

If you can sell top-15 QB prices, I have to imagine that will be more beneficial to your team than the far less likely outcome (IMO) that he returns to an elite QB scoring 20+ ppg