Rookie RB beyond the top 4

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rookie RB beyond the top 4

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:32 am

He's not a twitchy, change of direction type of back. That's clear. But, I don't think it's black/white, where you're either twitchy or stiff.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:48 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:32 amBut, I don't think it's black/white, where you're either twitchy or stiff.
of course not. if i thought his agility was average i'd say so, but i think it's noticeably worse than that.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:23 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:15 am Johnson had the best missed tackle rate in this class at 45% and forced 139 of them. Pretty impressive given he didn't get a ton of carries behind Bijan the last three seasons. I don't think "plodder" and "stiff" are accurate. He's definitely not twitchy though.
I have learned to absolutely not trust this stat in college RBs. I’m not sure the people counting it know what a missed tackle is.

Johnson is slow to get into a seam when it opens. In college players can get away with that because the holes are so much bigger and lines like UT have linemen who can keep them open longer as well as getting to the second level more often. In the NFL those same seams are a lot slimmer and they don’t stay open long. A guy who is slow to the line (not through patience but rather lack of explosiveness) are guys I cross off my list very early and Johnson is one of those guys. Even with other skills - which Johnson does have - their production is going to be severely capped.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:15 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:15 am Johnson had the best missed tackle rate in this class at 45% and forced 139 of them. Pretty impressive given he didn't get a ton of carries behind Bijan the last three seasons. I don't think "plodder" and "stiff" are accurate. He's definitely not twitchy though.
Missed tackles include broken tackles. You don’t need to be agile to get them. In fact, it sometimes helps if you’re not. If some dude gets an arm on you and you run through it, that counts as a missed tackle.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:20 pm

ericanadian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:15 pm
Missed tackles include broken tackles. You don’t need to be agile to get them. In fact, it sometimes helps if you’re not. If some dude gets an arm on you and you run through it, that counts as a missed tackle.
From what I've seen of his film at Texas, he pretty much just runs to the pile like an old school style rb. He probably racked up a lot of "missed tackles" the way you described. It's not like he was trucking everyone on his way to that stat.

That said he does run with power but I haven't felt like it was on a special level.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:34 pm

Zach Moss made ppl miss and Andre Williams ran ppl over. Neither was an athlete. Roschon looked meh to me plus he’s a converted QB with limited career touches. When does that ever work?

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:34 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:34 pm Zach Moss made ppl miss and Andre Williams ran ppl over. Neither was an athlete. Roschon looked meh to me plus he’s a converted QB with limited career touches. When does that ever work?
I’ve said something similar in a prior thread. Add on to that, that this is Fields backfield. Then Herbert. Then maybe Johnson but also maybe Foreman.

I understood the gamble as a later round pick, but people pushed him up too far. Look at the trade forum. People are saying to try to get him added in to a larger trade, as though he’s a prime target.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:39 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:34 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:34 pm Zach Moss made ppl miss and Andre Williams ran ppl over. Neither was an athlete. Roschon looked meh to me plus he’s a converted QB with limited career touches. When does that ever work?
I’ve said something similar in a prior thread. Add on to that, that this is Fields backfield. Then Herbert. Then maybe Johnson but also maybe Foreman.

I understood the gamble as a later round pick, but people pushed him up too far. Look at the trade forum. People are saying to try to get him added in to a larger trade, as though he’s a prime target.
Herbert's the back you want to maximize that read option with Fields, in the run game. Explosive player that can make explosive plays with that slight hesitation on the LB's that Fields can give them with the threat of him running. Johnson might be a good guy to close out a game with, and with the Bears looking to win 10 or more games this year, he could get plenty of opportunity to.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:07 pm

are those missed tackles based on agility, or based on running over a defender? He created missed tackles by his size, not athleticism. I am not sure why the rate of his missed tackles is impressive given his "low" number of carries. By limiting his carries, he is kept fresh and at his strongest leading to his high rate of missed tackles. If given a higher amount of playing time, his missed tackle rate would decline, not increase.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:10 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:34 pm

I took him over Bigsby in a draft and may regret that one lol. I know it's a crowded backfield and I own Herbert and believe he's still the one to own. But things change quickly

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:14 am

Kareem Hunt and Josh Jacobs ran people over too. Neither were athletes. Let's not act like RBs who break tackle and win off contact are not effective anymore.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:18 am

guys, please be careful talking about "the team with shall not be named" in this thread. we're risking yet another wicker-washing
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:23 am

ericanadian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:15 pm
Johnson doesn't have great COD ability, but he's also not a stiff and can make defenders miss with cuts and agility.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:46 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:14 am
Kareem Hunt and Josh Jacobs ran people over too. Neither were athletes. Let's not act like RBs who break tackle and win off contact are not effective anymore.
Jacobs was a first round pick and Hunt instantly took over the KC backfield. Johnson isn’t in that sort of conversation.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:48 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:46 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:14 am
Jacobs was a first round pick and Hunt instantly took over the KC backfield. Johnson isn’t in that sort of conversation.
Agreed. Jacobs also has some seriously nasty cuts, and an incredible dead leg. He can string moves together. Jacobs was and is a vastly superior back.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".