Jameson Williams Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Jameson Williams Thread

Postby mild » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:09 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:03 pm Well, wouldn't you figure odds are on JuJu's side with a 6-game head start? But agreed. Gross.
Yep, you can see the argument/thought on both sides. I can definitely see Juju putting up a couple WR3 weeks in the first 6.

He is also a WR that has struggled with his knee/health for the last few years - so I could definitely see this being a very gross bet.

Say what we like for Jamo (ie. that he's doing all the things that a bust does) but he's still the only outside WR with any upside in DET this season.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:20 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:56 pm Starting to look like Kadarious Toney to me now. :wall:
Does he want to be a rapper too
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:21 pm

His post draft interview was all I needed to see to know that he was going on the do not draft list
Burrow, Richardson
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:20 pm

81- wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:21 pm His post draft interview was all I needed to see to know that he was going on the do not draft list
This one?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTa3g9yVLsM

What stood out to you from hte interview?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

RoyalPalmer
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RoyalPalmer » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 am

I'm nervous as hell. But I depending on your situation I think the decision tree is pretty small. In my mind:

Rebuilder: Hold. Unless you have extremely shallow rosters or truly need the roster spot, there's not reason to give up on asset like this yet. You drafted him knowing full well he was not going to play much last season, if at all. There are ton of examples of receivers taking two seasons to break, after this season I'll consider him about 1.5 seasons into his career. The most frustrating part of everything that has happened is we are getting less clues of his transition to the NFL before Week 7 since he is no longer in training camp.
True Contender: Buy (for the right price). Got a 2nd? See if that moves the needle. Maybe a 2nd plus someone like DPJ to free up a roster spot. You get to stash him away for 6 weeks and your 2nd round pick is probably much closer to a 3rd anyways. This is a chance to add an elite piece that could be a staple of your roster at a pretty depreciated price. Yes it's risky, but young players like this usually aren't available in positions you will be drafting while contending.
Playoff Hopeful/Playoff Team: This is the tricky spot. This is the type of team that every roster spot is very important, your depth may not be as strong as a true contender or maybe you have some vets who are in their time and their window is closing and you want to make a. If push this season. As bullish as I am on Jamo this is the type of roster where I may try to move him + picks for an upgrade. Maybe target a rebuilder who has someone like Keenan Allen still.

I'm hoping for the best, because Jamo becoming a star in the league will make the league more fun. Seems like DET is trying to surround him with strong off field support with Calvin and Teddy both sounding like they are spending time with him to get him on track. But Im also aware he could be a total bust. But the thing with boom/bust players is you usually forget they were considered this when they boom.
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Mariota, Trubisky
RB: KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Tank Dell, Rashod Bateman, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney, Darnell Mooney, Michael Wilson, DJ Chark, Slayton, Robert Woods, Khalil Shakir
TE LaPorta, Kincaid, J Ferguson

2024 1st (3x)
2024 2nd
2024 3rd
———

QB: Jake Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:22 am

TLDR, but my question is this. How can all these things be true:
ARSB is a top-8 WR for the next few years
Gibbs is close to the league leader in receptions for a RB (or the league leader)
LaPorta is a viable TE option for FF
Jameson Williams is putting up anything close to his cohort from the '22 draft
(and Goff is the QB. . . )

The love for ARSB and Gibbs is locked in. And folks are fairly high on LaPorta. Prior to the suspension, I was starting to get nervous that we were underestimating the impact that JAMO would have on ARSB. I was pushing ARSB down my board - closer to D.Smith/Olave zone vs. the Wilson/Waddle zone. The injuries and suspension have made it nearly impossible to figure out what is really going on but I guess we can kick the can for now.

Something has to give, right?

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:04 am

tstafford wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:22 am TLDR, but my question is this. How can all these things be true:
Gibbs is close to the league leader in receptions for a RB (or the league leader)

The love for ARSB and Gibbs is locked in. And folks are fairly high on LaPorta. Prior to the suspension, I was starting to get nervous that we were underestimating the impact that JAMO would have on ARSB. I was pushing ARSB down my board - closer to D.Smith/Olave zone vs. the Wilson/Waddle zone. The injuries and suspension have made it nearly impossible to figure out what is really going on but I guess we can kick the can for now.

Very good chance that Olave is every bit as good as Wilson, and Carr could be better than an aging Rodgers this season. I think that they are all in the same tier, and I’m not doing anything to accommodate Williams. I believe in sports psychology, and time away from football isn’t good. Not just from a physical/skills standpoint, but from a mental standpoint. And I’m not sure Williams is on many of the other receivers level when it comes to character
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:01 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:20 pm
81- wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:21 pm His post draft interview was all I needed to see to know that he was going on the do not draft list
This one?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTa3g9yVLsM

What stood out to you from hte interview?
The one during the draft just after his commish meet and greet. It was so bad. To be fair, his post draft ones were fine (the parts I heard)
Burrow, Richardson
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:00 am

tstafford wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:22 am TLDR, but my question is this. How can all these things be true:

ARSB is going to be a target monster, IMO. Jamo is the odd man out IMO. ARSB in having a fantastic camp (injury isn't serious), and he takes his craft seriously. Guy puts the work in, he wants to be great. Williams will help him, running 9's to clear stuff out. Williams isn't going to be a high target player. ARSB is locked in WR1 in Detroit. Beyond Williams the WR depth chart is weak. Williams is raw, hasn't proven anything, and isn't going to walk in week 7 and start commanding a high target share.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:40 pm

RoyalPalmer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 am I'm nervous as hell. But I depending on your situation I think the decision tree is pretty small. In my mind:

True Contender: Buy (for the right price). Got a 2nd? See if that moves the needle. Maybe a 2nd plus someone like DPJ to free up a roster spot. You get to stash him away for 6 weeks and your 2nd round pick is probably much closer to a 3rd anyways. This is a chance to add an elite piece that could be a staple of your roster at a pretty depreciated price. Yes it's risky, but young players like this usually aren't available in positions you will be drafting while contending.

Playoff Hopeful/Playoff Team: This is the tricky spot. This is the type of team that every roster spot is very important, your depth may not be as strong as a true contender or maybe you have some vets who are in their time and their window is closing and you want to make a. If push this season. As bullish as I am on Jamo this is the type of roster where I may try to move him + picks for an upgrade. Maybe target a rebuilder who has someone like Keenan Allen still.
I don't see why either of these scenarios needs to be buying right now.

We've got 8-9 weeks before he's even stepping on a football field again. There will be more interesting targets that pop up over that span of time that might even help you win your first 6 games of the fantasy season.

I'd much rather wait and see how the Lions look first. There's no rush to acquire, especially as this dude appears to be rock-bottoming right now. If you wait into the season, the current Jamo owner might even suffer setbacks elsewhere on their roster, and be more motivated to sell cheap for a player that actually puts up points.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:48 pm

Gibbs will probably get hurt and Williams will probably fill the Watkins role for Goff similar to his time with the Rams. Deep threat to clear out things underneath, but Goff sucks deep, so production will be underwhelming. He’s more athletic than Watkins, but his hands will probably offset any gains there.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

RoyalPalmer
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RoyalPalmer » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:07 am

mild wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:40 pm
RoyalPalmer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 am I'm nervous as hell. But I depending on your situation I think the decision tree is pretty small. In my mind:

I don't see why either of these scenarios needs to be buying right now.

We've got 8-9 weeks before he's even stepping on a football field again. There will be more interesting targets that pop up over that span of time that might even help you win your first 6 games of the fantasy season.

I'd much rather wait and see how the Lions look first. There's no rush to acquire, especially as this dude appears to be rock-bottoming right now. if you wait into the season, the current Jamo owner might even suffer setbacks elsewhere on their roster, and be more motivated to sell cheap for a player that actually puts up points.
Generally when a players hit rock bottom and you believe in him that's when you want to buy. I know we all know that and that's why I think your comment about waiting for owners to have setbacks is super relevant and potentially be the best route to go if you believe in Jamo's talent. But that's rolling the dice that they do have setbacks. But maybe the owner goes undefeated, and feels like Jamo coming back week 7 is like a TDL acquisition in itself? There's certainty in his value right now. We can assume his value won't go up for several weeks or not until the week before he plays, and as we can see by posters in this thread people are wanting off the rollercoaster.

But yes, this isn't a buy window that is going to slam shut in a week. I was trying to highlight a couple different dynasty scenarios where he may or may not be of interest though whether that is right now or Week 3 of the season.

side note, you mentioned that there may be players who come up in the next couple weeks who could be more interesting and help you win games now. But Jamo will be on IR so you wouldn't be losing a spot for a flyer. And also, some rebuilding teams may not want to win yet, making a damn good dart throw.
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Mariota, Trubisky
RB: KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Tank Dell, Rashod Bateman, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney, Darnell Mooney, Michael Wilson, DJ Chark, Slayton, Robert Woods, Khalil Shakir
TE LaPorta, Kincaid, J Ferguson

2024 1st (3x)
2024 2nd
2024 3rd
———

QB: Jake Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:54 am

RoyalPalmer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:07 am side note, you mentioned that there may be players who come up in the next couple weeks who could be more interesting and help you win games now. But Jamo will be on IR so you wouldn't be losing a spot for a flyer. And also, some rebuilding teams may not want to win yet, making a damn good dart throw.
Your IR lets you put suspended players on it?

Ours definitely doesn't, but more power to you.

To your other point: if the Jamo owner is going undefeated in the first 6 weeks, then I doubt they're the sort of roster that you were ever going to pry Jamo from in the first place.

I also think a lot of owners are still pretty high on him. Yourself included! I don't feel any need to acquire him at this point as someone who liked his tape but didn't get any shares. I think he's closer to wearing out his welcome with this DET staff than the Jamo-hive would ever like to admit.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:10 am

mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:54 am
RoyalPalmer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:07 am side note, you mentioned that there may be players who come up in the next couple weeks who could be more interesting and help you win games now. But Jamo will be on IR so you wouldn't be losing a spot for a flyer. And also, some rebuilding teams may not want to win yet, making a damn good dart throw.

Ours definitely doesn't, but more power to you.

To your other point: if the Jamo owner is going undefeated in the first 6 weeks, then I doubt they're the sort of roster that you were ever going to pry Jamo from in the first place.

I also think a lot of owners are still pretty high on him. Yourself included! I don't feel any need to acquire him at this point as someone who liked his tape but didn't get any shares. I think he's closer to wearing out his welcome with this DET staff than the Jamo-hive would ever like to admit.
^^^This is how I feel too.

I thought he was possibly the best WR in the class coming in, he was drafted ahead of me every time, I wasn't able to acquire him and now I'm out. It's disappointing and maybe he'll hit. But I'm okay if I miss out at this point.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:42 am

mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:54 am
Leagues with practice squads have an easier time being patient, provided there isn’t some rule about suspension making them ineligible for the practice squad.