Desmond Ridder

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
81-
Captain
Captain

Re: Desmond Ridder

Postby 81- » Fri May 26, 2023 10:17 pm

I can see potential to be the next big thing. I'm all in on team ridder.

Disclaimer. He's currently my throw a dart developmental qb.

But seriously, he is in a good situation. He knows how to win. Ton of talent to take the pressure off him. Just needs to be a ball distributer and you have a startable back up with a ton of upside.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 pm

81- wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:17 pm I can see potential to be the next big thing. I'm all in on team ridder.

But seriously, he is in a good situation. He knows how to win. Ton of talent to take the pressure off him. Just needs to be a ball distributer and you have a startable back up with a ton of upside.
:lol: (to the bold) Cool. Thanks for that, it's a semi-serious thing, here. However, in my opinion:

He really needs to be good this year. There are 3 elite type prospects under the age of 23/24 at different skill positions. If he isn't good, a bridge QB, a decent vet, just to lift it up, or an all in type move for one of the top QB prospects next year is likely. You can't waste Bijan, London, Pitts on their rookie deals. He's got a 1 year trial, and it better be good.

With the NFC lacking real QB talent, a trade could even happen next year, bringing a QB that is good enough to really compete in the NFC, rather than the AFC. Carr was free agent, but the same concept. He went from buried in his division, let alone conference, to being the best sure thing at QB in that division, and the Saints could very realistically win that division now. Atlanta may do the same.

Ridder is a dart throw, and needs to be good now. He doesn't have the draft capital or the situational excuse to not be good this year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat May 27, 2023 9:07 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 pm
81- wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:17 pm I can see potential to be the next big thing. I'm all in on team ridder.

:lol: (to the bold) Cool. Thanks for that, it's a semi-serious thing, here. However, in my opinion:

He really needs to be good this year. There are 3 elite type prospects under the age of 23/24 at different skill positions. If he isn't good, a bridge QB, a decent vet, just to lift it up, or an all in type move for one of the top QB prospects next year is likely. You can't waste Bijan, London, Pitts on their rookie deals. He's got a 1 year trial, and it better be good.

With the NFC lacking real QB talent, a trade could even happen next year, bringing a QB that is good enough to really compete in the NFC, rather than the AFC. Carr was free agent, but the same concept. He went from buried in his division, let alone conference, to being the best sure thing at QB in that division, and the Saints could very realistically win that division now. Atlanta may do the same.

Ridder is a dart throw, and needs to be good now. He doesn't have the draft capital or the situational excuse to not be good this year.
8-8 or they cut bait.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat May 27, 2023 9:08 am

He’s going to be replaced after the year by a top 3 QB selection.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 27, 2023 9:23 am

I could easily see him getting replaced. We know the hit rates of non 1st round QBs are awful.

But ATL has also been within striking distance of a lot of top QBs the past 3 years and never went after them. They had picks 4, 8 and 8 the past 3 years. I expect they will have a worse pick this year with how bad their division and the NFC is comparatively to the AFC.

Of course, he could still be average, the team wins 8 or 9 games, gets bounced 1st round and they still look to replace him. But I don't think they're going to be in the top 5 to pick a top tier QB either.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat May 27, 2023 10:26 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:23 am I could easily see him getting replaced. We know the hit rates of non 1st round QBs are awful.

But ATL has also been within striking distance of a lot of top QBs the past 3 years and never went after them. They had picks 4, 8 and 8 the past 3 years. I expect they will have a worse pick this year with how bad their division and the NFC is comparatively to the AFC.

Of course, he could still be average, the team wins 8 or 9 games, gets bounced 1st round and they still look to replace him. But I don't think they're going to be in the top 5 to pick a top tier QB either.
There is a very short list of 3rd round quarterbacks who have been named the opening day starter somewhere at any point in their career. He’s already cleared a fairly major hurdle. He’s not coming in as the team’s second choice. If he can hold of Heinicke and start a full season, he’s in an even better position. I don’t think you can weigh him down with the failure of a bunch of guys sharing his draft capital when he’s already doing more in the NFL than the vast majority of them.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:30 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:26 am
Jigga94 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:23 am I could easily see him getting replaced. We know the hit rates of non 1st round QBs are awful.

There is a very short list of 3rd round quarterbacks who have been named the opening day starter somewhere at any point in their career. He’s already cleared a fairly major hurdle. He’s not coming in as the team’s second choice. If he can hold of Heinicke and start a full season, he’s in an even better position. I don’t think you can weigh him down with the failure of a bunch of guys sharing his draft capital when he’s already doing more in the NFL than the vast majority of them.
Yeah thats true too. I feel like I've been one of Ridders biggest advocates (while remaining realistic about expectations) so seeing him get this starting job makes me happy and I think he can be good enough to take them out of the top 10 draft spots to avoid a legit QB being added. Not worried about Heinicke

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Sat May 27, 2023 1:03 pm

With a stud wr, stud the, stud RB with a few more good rb's in the stable. Establish the run, spread the ball in passing game. He has shown that he isn't a turn over guy in college or in the pro's (small sample size obviously). Accuracy is a little bit of an issue but big bodied recievers should help. They say he is a great leader and is constantly working on his game. I think he is a great third QB with more than bye week/injury fil in potential. As always, time will tell, but everything is there for him to succeed
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun May 28, 2023 10:26 am

I dont understand why people discount non 1st round starting QBs. Every year, about 1/3 of the league starting QBs are non 1st round QBs. Its irrelevant to compare Ridder to other 3rd round QBs. Ridder has obviously been in Atlanta's plans to start this season since they drafted him. Now it will be up to Ridder to play well enough to hold onto the job.

Also, I don't understand the suggestion that Atlanta will simply just get a top 3 pick QB next year. Maybe 20 teams or so need a franchise QB, if it was so easy you'd think it would happen more often.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun May 28, 2023 11:30 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:26 am I dont understand why people discount non 1st round starting QBs. Every year, about 1/3 of the league starting QBs are non 1st round QBs. Its irrelevant to compare Ridder to other 3rd round QBs. Ridder has obviously been in Atlanta's plans to start this season since they drafted him. Now it will be up to Ridder to play well enough to hold onto the job.

Also, I don't understand the suggestion that Atlanta will simply just get a top 3 pick QB next year. Maybe 20 teams or so need a franchise QB, if it was so easy you'd think it would happen more often.
A lot of starters are non-1st rounders, but most of those guys are only around for a year or less.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun May 28, 2023 11:39 am

Draft capital aside, Ridder was my clear QB1 from last year's class. I'm far from completely sold on him, but I like him a lot and think he could be a legit QB in the NFL.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:03 pm

He would have to be so bad to not do well this year. And if they go 8-9, 9-8, they won't replace him. They'll just double down and spend more money to load the roster like they did this year.

He was a 4 year starter that won a lot of games, he has mobility, and he has pretty decent size. These are the types of profiles that do hit from later rounds.

Two Cents
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Two Cents » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:32 pm

Russell Wilson
Jalen Hurts
Derek Carr
Kirk Cousins
Dak Prescott

All long term starters, all non round 1 QB's

I think the most important variable to consider is how the team is built around the QB. Im pretty confident that Ridder and the Falcons will be a better QB than Daniel Jones and the Giants this year.
¢¢

12 team SF TEP
STARTERS | BENCH
QB (1) Mayfield, Mac Jones, Garrapollo, Darnold, Dobbs
RB (2) Kyren Williams, Rachaad White, AJ Dillon, Gibson, K. Mitchell, Perine, CEH, Akers, Dowdle
WR (3) Collins, Palmer, Meyers, Chark, Boyd, Juju
TE (2) Laporta, Kmet , Schultz, J. Johnson, Fant, Dulcich
FLEX (3) Montgomery, Njoku, Brian Robinson
SF (1) Minshew

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:01 am

Based on those current numbers, Ridder has an 82% chance of being replaced.

:-/

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:21 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:08 am He’s going to be replaced after the year by a top 3 QB selection.
How does ATL get a top 3 QB selection given the makeup of the rest of the team? This is a team that ought to finish near .500. Vegas has their O/U at 8.5 wins.