What are people doing with Justin Fields, buying or selling?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Re: What are people doing with Justin Fields, buying or selling?

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 12, 2023 11:30 am

frerichs5 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:03 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:08 am
MFundercover wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:55 pm Fields doesnt have to become Jalen Hurts to be a great dynasty asset. He just has to be better than, let's say, Garoppolo level to keep a starting gig and I think he can do that. If he takes that Jalen Hurts leap, even better. But as long as he remains an average NFL QB he will remain an elite fantasy QB.

I just took him in a keeper league and happy to have him as my qb.
Spot on.

There's some overthinking going on with rushing QBs. As long as you are very good to elite in providing rushing value, you have a high floor at the position. Being an average passer sustains that and will give you some big time blowup weeks.
I’m not sure anyone is arguing with these two posts. I think most agree he is elite for fantasy right now. My concern is that he hasn’t even been an “average passer” yet. He still has to become that, not remain that. Maybe these off-season changes help that, maybe they won’t. Time will tell.
He's been above average with deep balls and when scrambling. Below average with the short, crossing, and medium passes. Read the DBB article if you want more detail (posted a few posts back). I don't even count the first year as Nagy really bleep him over. So while this is his third year, I really see it as his second.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Fri May 12, 2023 7:14 pm

Well I guess that makes me a buyer then. I use Garoppolo as the measuring stick to hold down a starting job. I think Fields is good enough to be as good or better than that level.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 12, 2023 7:15 pm

I haven’t read the thread but why wouldn’t you gladly hold? His rushing numbers and athleticism are sensational. That has another 5/6 years left more than likely. With the news WRs he could be a top 3 QB finisher.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Tue May 16, 2023 7:08 am

Don't forget, the people who evaluate players for a living literally HAD pick 1 this year. If they didn't believe Fields could take a step forward, they could have taken any QB in the draft. The team opted to stick with him instead.

There are a lot of arrows pointing up for him. Looking at the same stats the team had access to and deciding the opposite they did seems like over thinking it.

Obviously you don't blindly follow what the teams do, since they make bad decisions too. But when there are this many positive pieces...

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon May 22, 2023 1:27 pm

I will go ahead and include this here, in case people don't go over to player debates:
His 2021 QBR was so bad that he finished 507th of 521 qualifying QBs in the historical list. The only QBs with a worst passing season are:
Jimmy Clausen
Blaine Gabbert
Andrew Walter
Josh Rosen
Baker Mayfield
Matt Cassel
Blake Bortles
Mark Sanchez
Nick Foles
Chad Henne
Jamarcus Russell
Trevor Semien
Literally a who's who of many of the worst highly drafted QBs in history.

Last year he finished 32nd in Completion percentage, just ahead of Zach Wilson and Baker Mayfield
Last year he finished dead last in yards passing per game
He was 2nd to last for most yards lost on sacks
Of his impressive 1140yds rushing he gave back 1/3rd of them in yards lost getting sacked.

I am not a fan of Fields at all. I see someone who is not NFL level passing abilities. It also doesn't appear that the Bears plan on re-inventing their system to fit the QB like the Raven did with LJax or the Falcons have done. He is more of a fantasy QB than he is a real NFL QB at this point. I'd think given the draft picks and free agent moves, if this isn't a .500 team this year the rumblings to get a new QB will get very loud, very quickly.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 22, 2023 2:46 pm

Reljac wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:27 pm I will go ahead and include this here, in case people don't go over to player debates:
His 2021 QBR was so bad that he finished 507th of 521 qualifying QBs in the historical list. The only QBs with a worst passing season are:
Jimmy Clausen
Blaine Gabbert
Andrew Walter
Josh Rosen
Baker Mayfield
Matt Cassel
Blake Bortles
Mark Sanchez
Nick Foles
Chad Henne
Jamarcus Russell
Trevor Semien

Last year he finished 32nd in Completion percentage, just ahead of Zach Wilson and Baker Mayfield
Of his impressive 1140yds rushing he gave back 1/3rd of them in yards lost getting sacked.

I am not a fan of Fields at all. I see someone who is not NFL level passing abilities. It also doesn't appear that the Bears plan on re-inventing their system to fit the QB like the Raven did with LJax or the Falcons have done. He is more of a fantasy QB than he is a real NFL QB at this point. I'd think given the draft picks and free agent moves, if this isn't a .500 team this year the rumblings to get a new QB will get very loud, very quickly.
I think the fact the Bears didn't keep the number 1 pick said as much about the QB class as it did Fields. If the Bears had the number 1 pick next year, Fields would be wearing a different jersey. The Bears just realized they could get a lot more for the number 1 pick, than they could for Fields, and obviously didn't think the price discrepancy was worth taking a QB in this class, and they were likely right. If they had Caleb lined up, Fields would have been sent packing. It's going to be an interesting year. We shall see, all we can do is wait.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon May 22, 2023 2:55 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:46 pm I think the fact the Bears didn't keep the number 1 pick said as much about the QB class as it did Fields. If the Bears had the number 1 pick next year, Fields would be wearing a different jersey.
100% agree.
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Mon May 22, 2023 8:06 pm

Reljac wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:27 pm I will go ahead and include this here, in case people don't go over to player debates:
Jimmy Clausen
Blaine Gabbert
Andrew Walter
Josh Rosen
Baker Mayfield
Matt Cassel
Blake Bortles
Mark Sanchez
Nick Foles
Chad Henne
Jamarcus Russell
Trevor Semien

Great post. I agree 100%.

I'm selling and pivoting to guys like Lamar or rolling the dice on ARich.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:19 pm

I'm a little surprised by all of the hate on a QB that was the QB8 in my leagues last year with hardly any WRs and a BAD OL. Yes, I'm a Bears fan. It just means I watched most of the games. He has elite talent, with lots of room to improve. His passing game, in many categories, was average or worse. How can he not get better in just about every category?
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 22, 2023 9:34 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:19 pm I'm a little surprised by all of the hate on a QB that was the QB8 in my leagues last year with hardly any WRs and a BAD OL. Yes, I'm a Bears fan. It just means I watched most of the games. He has elite talent, with lots of room to improve. His passing game, in many categories, was average or worse. How can he not get better in just about every category?
Hate. LOL. Elite talent LOL. Bears fan, enough said. Talking real football. They'd turf him for Caleb in a heartbeat, and you should be wishing they had the 1.01 next year rather than this year. He's been slow at processing since college. Caleb is a far better prospect. Filels has got a ton of warts. For every Allen/Hurts, there are bunch of busts.

Stop trying to play up bunch of actual evidence as "hate", because it's you're team, you're not "surprised", or shouldn't be... at all, because you know it's true. Maybe Fields progresses, maybe he doesn't. Stop the "hate" crap. It's legitimate evidence that he may overcome, an he may not. Deal with it outside the emotional response, because the "hate" response in a emotional response, and that alone. It's not a good argument. You have provided absolutely nothing to his post, an argument, other than a straw man of emotion.

As for my post, if you don't want Caleb over Fields, not sure what to tell you, other than the rest of the NFL world would consider him a vastly superior prospect. It sucks missing out by a year, like Montreal Canadiens fans missed out by a year...if you follow hockey at all.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue May 23, 2023 4:06 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:19 pm I'm a little surprised by all of the hate on a QB that was the QB8 in my leagues last year with hardly any WRs and a BAD OL. Yes, I'm a Bears fan. It just means I watched most of the games. He has elite talent, with lots of room to improve. His passing game, in many categories, was average or worse. How can he not get better in just about every category?
Facts are not hate. He generated the same total yardage (combined passing + Rushing) last season (in his QB8 finish) in the same number of games as Davis Mills. Because Fantasy awards Rushing and Rushing TDs more than Passing and passing TDs, a Running QB will always have inflated relative value to their real world NFL value.

In real NFL he led a team to 3 wins. He is now 5 - 20 as a starter over 2 seasons. In those same two seasons, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Trevor Semian, and Nathan Peterman have combined for a 4 - 5 record with the same supporting cast.

I strongly believe he needs to finish with a 500 record this season before entering the final year of his contract next season.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:33 am

He definitely needs to improve, but none of the QBs on that list could run like Fields. That's what is getting him this 2nd and maybe 3rd chance to improve.

FF has a point though. If CHI has 1.01 next year, it's Caleb

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Tue May 23, 2023 5:21 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:34 pm
Hate. LOL. Elite talent LOL. Bears fan, enough said. Talking real football. They'd turf him for Caleb in a heartbeat, and you should be wishing they had the 1.01 next year rather than this year. He's been slow at processing since college. Caleb is a far better prospect. Filels has got a ton of warts. For every Allen/Hurts, there are bunch of busts.

Stop trying to play up bunch of actual evidence as "hate", because it's you're team, you're not "surprised", or shouldn't be... at all, because you know it's true. Maybe Fields progresses, maybe he doesn't. Stop the "hate" crap. It's legitimate evidence that he may overcome, an he may not. Deal with it outside the emotional response, because the "hate" response in a emotional response, and that alone. It's not a good argument. You have provided absolutely nothing to his post, an argument, other than a straw man of emotion.

As for my post, if you don't want Caleb over Fields, not sure what to tell you, other than the rest of the NFL world would consider him a vastly superior prospect. It sucks missing out by a year, like Montreal Canadiens fans missed out by a year...if you follow hockey at all.
Like 25/32 NFL teams would send their QB packing for C Will lol
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 23, 2023 5:41 am

Reljac wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:06 am
In real NFL he led a team to 3 wins. He is now 5 - 20 as a starter over 2 seasons. In those same two seasons, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Trevor Semian, and Nathan Peterman have combined for a 4 - 5 record with the same supporting cast.

I strongly believe he needs to finish with a 500 record this season before entering the final year of his contract next season.
Wins against the Bengals (10-7), Lions (3-13-1), Giants (4-13), and Seahawks (7-10). Also Dalton makes up 3 of those wins and Foles 1, so not sure why the other QBs are needed for the stat. Either way, it's not a particularly meaningful stat.

I think this is the season to learn the most about Fields rather than a season with one of the worst skill position groups in the league. Suddenly, they're at least competent everywhere.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue May 23, 2023 5:55 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:41 am it's not a particularly meaningful stat.
In the real world, only 1 additional win for 16 additional starts over the last two seasons is pretty damn meaningful... If a team were to go 1- 15 that would also be meaningful.... When a QB doesn't outperform replacement level players they don't last long.