Achane>Gibbs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Achane>Gibbs

Postby nathanq42 » Thu May 04, 2023 3:56 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:44 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:39 pm Was going to post this in my rb report but figure I’ll share here since it seems relevant. Warrick Dunn (who was also a track guy) was in the 180’s when working out and drafted, so there is precedent for Achane. The main difference would be draft capital. Also found an old articl in which someone involved in drafted Tony Dorsett said he was in the 170’s when they drafted him. Also we’ve seen Phillip Lindsay have a lot of success given his draft capital who was also under 190lbs. There aren’t many examples but there certainly is precedent for Achane to be successful.
No disagreement he can be successful, it’s the part that he is greater than Gibbs that I just can’t get on board with personally.
In absolute terms Achane isnt even close, we are talking about a RB that has top 15 draft capital in an age where RBs are the least valuable they have ever been, and is on the edge of being too small for the position at the NFL level, vs a guy that went in the back half of the third that is even smaller than the first rounder, who is barely faster.

What is intriguing to me is the arbitrage between the two, one will cost you 1.02/3 the other can be had at 1.10 in most leagues.

The odds are that Gibbs is more productive for longer compared to Achane, but in terms of overall team value, I could definitely see the argument that Achane + what it would take to trade back from 1.02/3 to 1.10 could be a more valuable play.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 04, 2023 4:35 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:39 pm Was going to post this in my rb report but figure I’ll share here since it seems relevant. Warrick Dunn (who was also a track guy) was in the 180’s when working out and drafted, so there is precedent for Achane. The main difference would be draft capital. Also found an old articl in which someone involved in drafted Tony Dorsett said he was in the 170’s when they drafted him. Also we’ve seen Phillip Lindsay have a lot of success given his draft capital who was also under 190lbs. There aren’t many examples but there certainly is precedent for Achane to be successful.
Good stuff.

I've been beating this drum for a little while now. The easy narrative is to assume that Achane plays small and is going to be limited in the NFL, but he plays much closer to a Warrick Dunn type of small back. He also has a higher BMI than quite a few backs who've had RB1 seasons (Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles).

The bonus is that he landed in an offense that values the hell out of straight line speed. He's going to be a good player and he's the type of back that doesn't need a ton of touches to really produce.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu May 04, 2023 4:46 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:35 pm The easy narrative is to assume that Achane plays small and is going to be limited in the NFL, but he plays much closer to a Warrick Dunn type of small back. He also has a higher BMI than quite a few backs who've had RB1 seasons (Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles).
In terms of BMI, these would be the success stories in the ballpark of Achane
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:43 pm
CJ2k - 27.2
Darren McFadden - 27.7
Jamaal Charles - 27.8
Devon Achane - 27.8
DeMarco Murray - 28.1
Christian McCaffrey - 28.2
Reggie Bush - 28.3

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 04, 2023 5:10 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:46 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:35 pm The easy narrative is to assume that Achane plays small and is going to be limited in the NFL, but he plays much closer to a Warrick Dunn type of small back. He also has a higher BMI than quite a few backs who've had RB1 seasons (Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles).
CJ2k - 27.2
Darren McFadden - 27.7
Jamaal Charles - 27.8
Devon Achane - 27.8
DeMarco Murray - 28.1
Reggie Bush - 28.3
Yep, the size narrative is an easy one to take advantage with Achane on if anyone in your league is giving it to you. He's in line size wise with some very good backs and has the same pedigree as Murray and Charles.

Not as good a player as Gibbs, but I wonder if we aren't being as high as we should be on him.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 04, 2023 5:41 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:56 pm
Ice wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:44 pm
No disagreement he can be successful, it’s the part that he is greater than Gibbs that I just can’t get on board with personally.
In absolute terms Achane isnt even close, we are talking about a RB that has top 15 draft capital in an age where RBs are the least valuable they have ever been, and is on the edge of being too small for the position at the NFL level, vs a guy that went in the back half of the third that is even smaller than the first rounder, who is barely faster.

What is intriguing to me is the arbitrage between the two, one will cost you 1.02/3 the other can be had at 1.10 in most leagues.

The odds are that Gibbs is more productive for longer compared to Achane, but in terms of overall team value, I could definitely see the argument that Achane + what it would take to trade back from 1.02/3 to 1.10 could be a more valuable play.
I get what you’re saying and Maybe some drafts, but no way I would be trading out of a top 3 pick in 1 QB leagues this draft.

Reality is a real thing, And Gibbs is reality and a back with actual top 5-10 potential very early.

That upside isn’t all that easy to come by at the RB position.

That pick is really hard to get, at least in my leagues.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Fri May 05, 2023 9:08 pm

Sure no one with the 1.02 is trading down but look at if the other way. If I have no first round pick and am weighing the options on getting a playmaker rb in full ppr. You have two options:

A) Give up three future firsts or top 12 receiver at this point for Gibbs
B) Give up a single future first or wr2-3 for achane

There’s a non-zero risk that Gibbs is better in real life than fantasy if they heavily utilize a rbbc which is likely. Also, every time I hear about how a rb will line up at slot because they are able to it just never seems to manifest materially in fantasy. I could be wrong though jmho.

Yes, Gibbs is clearly better in an absolute sense but it’s also very possible achane is objectively better in fantasy considering costs.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Fri May 05, 2023 9:09 pm

Sure no one with the 1.02 is trading down but look at if the other way. If I have no first round pick and am weighing the options on getting a playmaker rb in full ppr. You have two options:

There’s a non-zero risk that Gibbs is better in real life than fantasy if they heavily utilize a rbbc which is likely. Also, every time I hear about how a rb will line up at slot because they are able to it just never seems to manifest materially in fantasy. I could be wrong though jmho.

Yes, Gibbs is clearly better in an absolute sense but it’s also very possible achane is objectively better in fantasy considering costs to acquire said picks.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 05, 2023 9:17 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:46 pm
CJ2k - 27.2
Darren McFadden - 27.7
Jamaal Charles - 27.8
Devon Achane - 27.8
DeMarco Murray - 28.1
Reggie Bush - 28.3
Wheels up, Deuce Vaughn!!! 29.8
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat May 06, 2023 3:13 am

austing wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:08 pm Sure no one with the 1.02 is trading down but look at if the other way. If I have no first round pick and am weighing the options on getting a playmaker rb in full ppr. You have two options:

Yes, Gibbs is clearly better in an absolute sense but it’s also very possible achane is objectively better in fantasy considering costs.
Has there ever been a really good real life RB that hasn’t a a fantasy star?
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat May 06, 2023 5:51 am

j4pac wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:13 am
austing wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:08 pm Sure no one with the 1.02 is trading down but look at if the other way. If I have no first round pick and am weighing the options on getting a playmaker rb in full ppr. You have two options:

Maybe Kevin Faulk? Belichick sure seemed to love him and he did everything pretty well.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat May 06, 2023 8:14 pm

j4pac wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:13 am

Jonathan Stewart might fit that a bit.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun May 07, 2023 5:33 am

austing wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:07 pm Been thinking the past couple days that there’s a good chance that in a couple years looking back we will see that spending the 1.09 (at most) on achane gave you most of the same production as spending the 1.02 on gibbs.

Both have short-term subpar running mates who will steal goal line duties although both teams are likely to draft replacements for the 1bs down the road. Both are on dynamic up and coming offenses. Both are not 250 touch guys at 5’8 185 and 5’10’ 199.

I just think that after factoring in cost, there is no reason to get Gibbs when you can trade back and get comparable levels of production and pick up another asset in the process given the draft hype for Gibbs.

After 1.01 there is just nothing concrete in this draft. Except Johnston, he will be a stud.
Bold. Love it.

I also disagree. Gibbs is an exceptional athlete that -- if used properly -- will become a superstar in Detroit. It's a big "if", as he'll need to be used like Kamara/CMC and get 25% rushes and 80-90 targets in this offense. If that happens, Gibbs all day long. The Lions do have Montgomery for a reason, so I hope and expect that this will be the case.

I am not an Achane fan by any means. He ranks in the bottom 3% of RBs to ever be drafted in terms of height-to-weight ratio. He was running WR routes leading up to the draft, and when asked why he said "to showcase that he's not just a RB" and later said that NFL teams were asking if he would be willing to switch to WR. If he does, his value will indeed go up, but transitioning from RB to WR isn't easy.

Achane may have a spectacular run or catch-and-run or kickoff return or two in the first few weeks of the season, and that's going to get fantasy owners excited in a big way. I predict it will happen, as teams will vastly under-rate his speed. After that, NFL defense will be ready, and Achane will fall back to irrelevancy. So if you own Achane, your time to sell is week 2-3.

All a guess. Just trying to be as bold as OP. Loved the post, wanted to try to match it best I could. Kudos.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:33 am
austing wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:07 pm Been thinking the past couple days that there’s a good chance that in a couple years looking back we will see that spending the 1.09 (at most) on achane gave you most of the same production as spending the 1.02 on gibbs.

Both have short-term subpar running mates who will steal goal line duties although both teams are likely to draft replacements for the 1bs down the road. Both are on dynamic up and coming offenses. Both are not 250 touch guys at 5’8 185 and 5’10’ 199.

I just think that after factoring in cost, there is no reason to get Gibbs when you can trade back and get comparable levels of production and pick up another asset in the process given the draft hype for Gibbs.

After 1.01 there is just nothing concrete in this draft. Except Johnston, he will be a stud.
Bold. Love it.

I also disagree. Gibbs is an exceptional athlete that -- if used properly -- will become a superstar in Detroit. It's a big "if", as he'll need to be used like Kamara/CMC and get 25% rushes and 80-90 targets in this offense. If that happens, Gibbs all day long. The Lions do have Montgomery for a reason, so I hope and expect that this will be the case.

I am not an Achane fan by any means. He ranks in the bottom 3% of RBs to ever be drafted in terms of height-to-weight ratio. He was running WR routes leading up to the draft, and when asked why he said "to showcase that he's not just a RB" and later said that NFL teams were asking if he would be willing to switch to WR. If he does, his value will indeed go up, but transitioning from RB to WR isn't easy.

Achane may have a spectacular run or catch-and-run or kickoff return or two in the first few weeks of the season, and that's going to get fantasy owners excited in a big way. I predict it will happen, as teams will vastly under-rate his speed. After that, NFL defense will be ready, and Achane will fall back to irrelevancy. So if you own Achane, your time to sell is week 2-3.

All a guess. Just trying to be as bold as OP. Loved the post, wanted to try to match it best I could. Kudos.
what will nfl defenses do when mcdaniel's scheme opens up gaping holes for achane to run through for large gains?

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun May 07, 2023 5:43 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 am what will nfl defenses do when mcdaniel's scheme opens up gaping holes for achane to run through for large gains?
I hadn't thought of this. My post is completely destroyed! Well done! :clap:
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:39 am

Achane fits a low volume role very well that’s why the Phins took him. Those guys don’t usually make great fantasy assets. Gibbs is smallish too for an RB but not as small as Achane, if Gibbs were taken in the 2nd round I’d have more concerns but he is going to be used in various ways due to draft cap alone. Achane will be a highlight king, but we all know that doesnt translate to fantasy all the time.

We all say volume is king, projecting volume is difficult but it’s very hard for me to see Achane getting anywhere near the volume Gibbs will. Even at Achanes way lower cost I don’t see it as a good move to wait for him