Zay Flowers vs Josh Downs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Zay Flowers or Josh Downs?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:05 am

Zay Flowers
55%
Josh Downs
45%

Total votes: 11

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Zay Flowers vs Josh Downs

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 am

Both are ranked closely in current Rookie rankings. Both are 5'9 highly productive speedy WR's

Which do you prefer and what separates them in your opinion?

I like both but tend to lean toward Flowers. Where they land in the draft could probably flip that for me
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Zay Flowers vs Josh Downs

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:13 am

I actually don't like either and think size will be a serious issue at the next level fantasy wise. Whoever has the better opportunity based on landing spot if I had to take either.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:39 am

I'm not big on short WRs, but I will say that while Flowers is typically ranked higher, Downs has a 2% drop rate. I have them pretty close.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Eight7Seven » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:48 am

Based off what I've seen so far I'm much lower on both of these two receivers then this community seems to be. My favorite of the next tier (After JSN, Johnston & Addison) is Hyatt.

Between the two of them I prefer Downs. This might be influenced by bias though as he performed well in all three of the games I watched tape of him from (Clemson, Pittsburgh & Virginia Tech). I wasn't impressed in either of the games I watched for Flowers (Clemson and Florida State). This is not a deep enough sample size yet, I was just trying to form a basic opinion of each major player prior to the combine. I see problems in the game of both of these prospects, and I don't project either to become an NFL WR#1.

Hopefully when I take a deeper dive I'll see something else, but as of now I have them slotted on my board towards the middle of the second round.
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:08 pm

I've been going back and forth on these two... I think my lean is Flowers.

Out of the two, he's the one that has the most chance to not just be pigeon-holed into the Slot. He's also better as a downfield route runner than Downs from what I can see - does an amazing job of setting up his defenders and then pulling the rug on them. If one of these guys is going to become an outlier as a 2-wide WR at this size, I'll take the guy that's shown the downfield proficiency + has a touch more weight.

Its tight but gimme Zay.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:56 am

mild wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:08 pm I've been going back and forth on these two... I think my lean is Flowers.

Out of the two, he's the one that has the most chance to not just be pigeon-holed into the Slot. He's also better as a downfield route runner than Downs from what I can see - does an amazing job of setting up his defenders and then pulling the rug on them. If one of these guys is going to become an outlier as a 2-wide WR at this size, I'll take the guy that's shown the downfield proficiency + has a touch more weight.

Its tight but gimme Zay.
This is mostly my reasoning as well. Flowers definitely has the better outside WR skills. Except my main worry is that Flower's size means his outside WR skills will not translate to the NFL well enough and then he's stuck as a WR4 or so on the depth chart. I see him as a little more boom/bust or maybe situation dependent than Downs.

Downs should be a solid slot WR regardless of his situation, but that does not always translate to fantasy superstardom. So I still lean Flowers but admit that Downs could easily have the more steady career.

I think if you are truly looking for an outside WR or deep threat, then Hyatt should be the guy after the top 3 (as 877 mentioned above). I am not sold on Hyatt at all though personally