Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Expected Haul for Bijan

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:56 pm

Bot101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:44 pm
Bot101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 pm

Ive got 1.02, 1.05, 1.07, 1.08, 2.01, 2.02, 2.04, 2.07, 2.10 lol. JSN will be the pick at 1.02

I am kicking off a rebuild and I prefer to start building out the WRs before the RBs. Unfortunately this class has a very shallow WR class and a deep RB class. The closest thing to surefire we have is JSN this season. After him its BPA, however I do have a soft spot for QJ despite his red flags.
Hmm, I’m not a big fan of this. If you wanted a wr, I would have went for a more proven player plus a 1st. Just spitballing, but like olave + 1st in exchange for the 1.01.
Well that manager wont give up Olave, and he doesnt have a 1st. I didnt want to waste prime rookie Bijan before I was ready to compete. Besides, this keeps me in a prime spot to get Harrison Jr next season. Bijan would have scored enough to take me out of that sweepstakes.
I just fundamentally disagree with the ”my team is not ready for bijan/Breece/insert rock solid rb prospect here” way of thinking.

1) RBs values are always inflated due to scarcity. The best time to get them is when your team stinks and you can draft them. They’re impossible to trade for unless you overpay. If your team is kinda good in another year or two, suddenly you’re not in position to get an elite rb prospect anymore. So you can’t draft one and you can’t trade for one (without overpaying).

2) Mirroring point number one, you can usually get every other position mid-late 1st round or even 2nd round of your rookie drafts. Countless times have wrs, QBs and TEs drafted in the 1st round of the nfl draft been available late-1st or even 2nd round of Dynasty rookie drafts.

So in summary, elite rb talents typically go early 1st of your rookie drafts. Elite talents at other positions are often available later in your rookie drafts. So when your team stinks that is the best time to draft rbs and as your team improves that is the best time to draft the other positions. This just seems like common sense, no?

3) The single best way to jumpstart your rebuild is with a stud rb. They provide monster points and I’ve seen people rebuild very quickly when given a zeke, Saquon or JT. You can always find value at other positions to fill out your roster but RB value will ALWAYS be inflated. They are much harder to acquire than the rest of the positions.

4) I feel like your rookie draft spot is overrated. Sure, we want an earlier pick and I’m sure there is a statistical advantage. But in my experience, that advantage is not worth sabotaging your team for 1 or more years. You know what makes it harder to rebuild? Having a crappy team completely devoid of talent and equity.

5) I’m not a fan of the hit rates of rookie wrs. If you’ve followed my wr report threads at all, you know the hit rate for even the best rookies (1st rounders in the nfl draft) is only around 30% to become a stud. The hit rate for guys like bijan is far higher than that, and so are paradoxically some of the safest investments you could make on a rebuilding team where you’re trying to accrue the most value as possible.

The days of the “wait for a year 3 breakout” is over for wrs. We know that if a wr is any good, they’re likely to be very productive their rookie year. You can plug and play them even as rookies. So drafting them when your team is finally ready to compete still makes sense.

In the end, I’m not saying the trade is terrible. I just don’t agree with the rationale. For the trade to work out in your favor, you basically have to hit big on both the 1.2 and the 1.8, which is possible but unlikely, particularly in a 1qb league. I used to think the same way you do until practically everything I’ve seen in dynasty over the past 7-8 years has steered me in the other direction.

Edit: I just want to add, I’m not saying you can’t have success rebuilding the way you are. I’ve seen people win leagues in every which way possible. It’s just that in my experience it isn’t the most optimal, sensical or reliable way to do it for the reasons I outlined above.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 pm

Bot101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:13 pm Well I did it. I traded the golden goose.

Gave 1.01, 3.01, 2024 3rd

Received 1.02, 1.08, 2024 2nd
Wow!
That is by far the cheapest I have seen the 1.01 sell for yet!
Congrats!!

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:01 pm

That's why I've moved up/in to get Bijan in two leagues. Trying to do it again in two others. I will never finish last/close to last so I have to take the shots when I can get them. Moved 1.05, 1.07, 1.09 to get Bijan in one league. The other was an orphan I adopted.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:56 pm I just fundamentally disagree with the ”my team is not ready for bijan/Breece/insert rock solid rb prospect here” way of thinking.
I'm with you. Say you draft Bijan and he's a star, but your team isn't a playoff team yet, you just trade him for another pile of draft picks and players. If your team is ready when he hits, you're golden. Can't lose.

Always take the best player available in a rookie draft is my policy. But, if you prefer the other way and it's more fun to run your team with young WRs, that's cool too.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:02 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 pm
Bot101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:13 pm Well I did it. I traded the golden goose.

Wow!
Congrats!!
I agree, I have the 1.01 in a league, and this wouldn't get a ponder.
Last edited by esloan35 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:20 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:56 pm I just fundamentally disagree with the ”my team is not ready for bijan/Breece/insert rock solid rb prospect here” way of thinking.
I'm with you. Say you draft Bijan and he's a star, but your team isn't a playoff team yet, you just trade him for another pile of draft picks and players. If your team is ready when he hits, you're golden. Can't lose.

Always take the best player available in a rookie draft is my policy. But, if you prefer the other way and it's more fun to run your team with young WRs, that's cool too.
X3 Not sure my team is quite ready to compete with a core or D Watson, D London, i pacheco, Wandale and Frieremuth but you can sure as hell expect me to take Bijan. I’ll have an insanely young team if I add three other rookies along with Bijan, so i probably won’t be competing either. But as stated hopefully I won’t have a chance to get a Rb like Bijan again

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:11 am

Wow!
Congrats!!
Congrats for selling the 1.01 for that cheap? I don't think we should be celebrating the deal. If anything it should be wiped clean off the boards so others don't get the idea that this is a realistic trade.

The fact that you have so many other picks makes it even more bizarre, but it is your team and you do you.

YourAverageFan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby YourAverageFan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:23 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:11 am

Wow!
Congrats!!
Congrats for selling the 1.01 for that cheap? I don't think we should be celebrating the deal. If anything it should be wiped clean off the boards so others don't get the idea that this is a realistic trade.

The fact that you have so many other picks makes it even more bizarre, but it is your team and you do you.
I believe it was sarcasm
Team 1 12 team .5ppr QB/2RB/2WR/TE/FL
Wilson, Cousins, Lawrence
Barkley, Montgomery, Roschon Johnson, K. Miller, Herbert, R. White, C. Brown
T. Hill, AJ Brown, Waddle, Godwin, Zay, ASJ, M. Brown, J. Downs, Boyd
Andrews, Goedert

Team 2 12 Team SF .5ppr QB/2RB/3WR/TE/SF
Dak, Watson, Ryan, Z Wilson, Rush, Heinicke
Bijan, Dobbins, Pierce, Lindsay, Moss, Gibbs
Jefferson, Chase, Cooper, OBJ, Woods, Hollywood, Green
Waller, Goedert, H. Bryant

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:34 am

Dang, I'm getting roasted. Thought 2x 1sts and a 2nd was just more realistic than 3x 1sts for an RB in todays world. Guess I was wrong.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:44 am

Bot101 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:34 am Dang, I'm getting roasted. Thought 2x 1sts and a 2nd was just more realistic than 3x 1sts for an RB in todays world. Guess I was wrong.
Sorry man. It may work out for you and it may not. I think taking stuff like this as a learning experience is a good thing. We have all been there on trades that blew up in our faces and we don't even know if that will happen here. But, value was on the 1.1 side in this.

To explain it further, Bijan is just seen as that much superior to anyone else in this draft, especially in a 1 QB. 1.08 in a non SF is largely a question mark. The strength of this class is how it may be possible we see it start (NFL wise) QB, QB, QB, QB (though I don't believe in Levis much), then Bijan, Gibbs, JSN..... but after that we don't really know. So in a 1QB pick 4 is not in a great position pending the NFL draft. So by dropping to 1.2 and taking Gibbs/JSN but only getting something we aren't too keen on (at least at the moment) isn't enough for that.

Good luck in your draft. I have done a full blowup of a team like this in the past and it's a load of fun. I bombed some picks in there, but was in the championship game 2 years later.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:57 am

Bot101 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:34 am Dang, I'm getting roasted. Thought 2x 1sts and a 2nd was just more realistic than 3x 1sts for an RB in todays world. Guess I was wrong.
Sorry about the roast.

Like Lumps said it's where the 1sts are that it's deemed low. We could look back on this and see you won. Most people want the 1.2 + a higher pick than the 1.8 gamble. Could 1.8 show up and be the next JJ? Maybe, but doubtful at this current time. There just needs to be more concrete coming back in return to warrant moving Bijan.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:23 am

Yep. Later firsts COULD get you guys like Jefferson, Lamb, Chase. Depends on your league and draft.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:27 pm

Wasn’t trying to roast, I actually think the trade itself is fine. I just didn’t agree with the rationale.

Elite Package
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Elite Package » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:46 pm

2022 champ so I have 1.12 pick...

1.01 owner sent me offer of:

1.01, MVS, P.Cambell (I know two throw aways)

I give:
2025 1st
2026 1st
Javonte Williams
Rashad Bateman

Little too rich IMO but thought I would post here for possible input...team one in sig.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR, (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB)
QB: P.Mahomes, T.Lance, J.Garoppolo
RB: B.Robinson (1.01 Incoming), S.Barkley, J.Mixon, E.Mitchell, R.Penny
WR: C.Godwin, K.Allen, A.Cooper, DJ.Moore, V.Jefferson
TE: G.Kittle, D.Njoku, C.Kmet, G.Everett, T.Hill
K: J.Tucker
DL: J.Bosa, A.Donald, D.Buckner, J.Allen, K.Payne
LB: R.Smith, F.Warner, C.Barton, Q.Walker, H.Reddick
DB: J.Poyer, J.Bates, T.Mathieu

TEAM TWO
12 Team PPR, (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, 2FLEX, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB)
QB: L.Jackson, D.Watson
RB: C.McCaffrey, S.Barkley, J.Mixon, E.Elliot
WR: C.Kupp, J.Waddle, K.Allen, B.Aiyuk, K.Shakir
TE: T.Kelce, OJ.Howard, M.Gesicki, L.Thomas
K: J.Tucker
DL: G.Rousseau, M.Judon, Q.Williams, J.Allen, J.Oweh
LB: B.Wagner, F.Warner, CJ.Mosley, M.Jack
DB: A.Winfield, T.Hufanga, Q.Diggs, J.Bates

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:38 pm

Elite Package wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:46 pm 2022 champ so I have 1.12 pick...

1.01 owner sent me offer of:

1.01, MVS, P.Cambell (I know two throw aways)

I give:
2025 1st
2026 1st
Javonte Williams
Rashad Bateman

Little too rich IMO but thought I would post here for possible input...team one in sig.
I would give the three 1sts without hesitation. It's really hinging on how much you value Javonte/Bateman. Also depends on how DEEP you are. I don't own shares of either. Can you spare them? If you're the champ, Bijan wow...worth getting? IDK.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2: