Purdy vs Lance 2023

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

Purdy holds the job and Lance is a backup
41%
Lance regains the starting role and Purdy is a backup
33%
Lance is traded and gets a shot elsewhere
26%

Total votes: 97

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Purdy vs Lance 2023

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:53 pm

mild wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:11 am
cazzie33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:51 am But, But. ... DRAFT CAPITAL !!!

I Hear that all the time but in this case the 7th rd Mr. Irrelevant plays well for a few games in the most ideal situations (great support in run game , defense , game script, etc... ) and the 3rd overall pick who it took 3 1sts to get is likely buried. :think:

Which is it ?
Normally, it's "Draft Capital" and take it to the bank. But if there's one (OK, there's a couple) organisation, and in particular, one coach - who doesn't give a rats a-- about when he drafted you, once you're in the building - it's Kyle Shanahan.

Remember when Dante Pettis got drafted in the 2nd round (!!!), balled out his Rookie year, then was ostensibly fired into the sun? He never escaped the Shanahan dog house and was literally waived before his 3rd season.

Remember when we all drafted Trey Sermon because he had more draft capital than "the 6th round rookie" even though we could all see he was probably as slow as molasses? "Draft capital" got a lot of people burnt that year.

Remember when the 49ers spent a 1st rounder on a WR, and he once again balled out in his Rookie season... only for Shannahan to put him in the dog box in Year 2 because he didn't like his work ethic? Aiyuk escaped, but only because he learnt the lesson and doubled down.

Shanny just wants to win. He don't care. He'll use the guys that give him the best chance to win, by his estimation.

And I think he thinks that's Purdy right now, and it's sounding like the Locker Room agrees.
Agreed … always try to evaluate each situation individually is my preferred method after seeing the players involved myself. Coaches & players always say once the players hit the field it is based on who can play , draft capital goes out the window. Sure guys with potential to get better get more leash but you have to show a glimpse of being the player that will do what it takes to get there. Conversely if you show the ability to handle the speed / size of the NFL they won’t hold your lower draft capital against you. Not sure they’ve closed the door on Lance and contrary to the locker room reports I don’t see Purdy as having proved himself to be a qb1 yet. Still want to see how he handles adversity and lg forcing him to play through his weaknesses which I think is his lack of arm strength by making quick timing throws contested & forcing him to hold the ball

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:07 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:53 pm Still want to see how he handles adversity
Asking for a friend, have you returned to a professional sporting event with a torn UCL to help your team?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:07 pm
cazzie33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:53 pm Still want to see how he handles adversity
Asking for a friend, have you returned to a professional sporting event with a torn UCL to help your team?
Neither did Purdy. If he truly couldn't throw, then he actually hurt his team but going back in. Everyone knew he wasnt throwing the ball, so it would have been better to use McCaffery as QB and have an extra blocker. Purdy has done well, but Shanahan did a great job of covering up his warts. He really hasnt had to deal with adversity yet, so we don't know how he handles it. He didn't necessarily show that ability in college.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:27 pm

mgscott wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm
Neither did Purdy. If he truly couldn't throw, then he actually hurt his team but going back in. Everyone knew he wasnt throwing the ball, so it would have been better to use McCaffery as QB and have an extra blocker. Purdy has done well, but Shanahan did a great job of covering up his warts. He really hasnt had to deal with adversity yet, so we don't know how he handles it. He didn't necessarily show that ability in college.
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:43 pm

Have I returned to work with an injury that I should probably be resting & rehabbing @ home ? Yes, several times. And I consider it the same as a professional sporting event since I was getting paid (albeit substantially less) and I was being a sport about it. Couldn't perform at my full capacity but did what I could as the boss asked me to come in. So sorry no Medal of Valor expected for either of us. Also played in rec basketball game(s) w/ 3 broken bones in my wrist. Just wrapped it up like a soft cast . Couldn't do anything w/ my offhand but only had 7 guys available so gave it my best to let them catch a breather or sit if someone got in foul trouble.

Don't think you seriously consider that Purdy came in to try to and mount a serious passing attack against the Eagles. He succumbed to the adversity that day . No one expected him to do anything under the circumstances. Still waiting to see how he holds up to a similar situation once healthy. That's all . No one questioned his heart .

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:29 pm

Wow. Ok. I will just watch.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 pm

mgscott wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm
Purdy throwing the ball late on the injury play, staring down Aiyuk, waiting for him to get open is why he's injured. He did the same exact thing throwing to Jennings vs SEA in the WC game. For all this talk about Purdy being the perfect fit for this scheme, Jimmy G was a hell of a lot more decisive and had a quicker release.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:34 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 pm Purdy throwing the ball late on the injury play, staring down Aiyuk, waiting for him to get open is why he's injured. He did the same exact thing throwing to Jennings vs SEA in the WC game. For all this talk about Purdy being the perfect fit for this scheme, Jimmy G was a hell of a lot more decisive and had a quicker release.
I don't agree with that... Brock is pretty advanced for a Rookie.

Jimmy G -has- to be decisive because he is a complete zero on the movement front, and he struggles out of structure. Once the play breaks down? It's usually not ending well.

On the flip side: Jimmy G doesn't pull off this play in 1 million years. Brock has a different (and in my opinion, and a lot of the 49ers pundits opinions) higher upside skillset to Jimmy G... it's not even really a debate at this point.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:37 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am The largest issue with Purdy was "Shanahan makes every QB look amazing", but if that was the case then Josh Johnson wouldn't have looked so pedestrian in the NFCCG.
you'll have a hard time trying to sell me the assumption that josh johnson is a QB!

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:07 am

mild wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:34 pm
halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 pm Purdy throwing the ball late on the injury play, staring down Aiyuk, waiting for him to get open is why he's injured. He did the same exact thing throwing to Jennings vs SEA in the WC game. For all this talk about Purdy being the perfect fit for this scheme, Jimmy G was a hell of a lot more decisive and had a quicker release.

Jimmy G -has- to be decisive because he is a complete zero on the movement front, and he struggles out of structure. Once the play breaks down? It's usually not ending well.

On the flip side: Jimmy G doesn't pull off this play in 1 million years. Brock has a different (and in my opinion, and a lot of the 49ers pundits opinions) higher upside skillset to Jimmy G... it's not even really a debate at this point.
As someone who’s Watched a lot of 49er games I can tell you that Jimmy would never throw the ball down the field, and if he did, it was almost never caught. In the last few years, I feel like he only completed a pass with more than 20 air yards a couple times. Brock on the other hand would complete It seems like a couple almost every game.
I hope Brock is ready for next year…

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:37 am

Some of the responses and expectations here seem really peculiar.

Purdy was Mr Irrelevant in this past year’s draft. That he even would make the roster is a mild surprise. Yet I’m seeing responses that seem to expect him to perform like s seasoned vet - which astoundingly given his circumstances that he did. He compared very favorably to Garappolo’s play. His record as a starter, completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, ypa, aypa, rating all were on par with a guy who has started in the league for several years.

What is amazing about that is that he was an afterthought during OTAs, TC, and PS. That means he was getting fewer reps with lesser players, particularly when you consider that SF was doing everything in their power to overcome Lance’s flaws in an effort to force him into the starting role. Then once the season starts, any QB who is not the starter has very few reps in practice. A guy like Purdy was probably getting most of his work running the scout team right up to where he had to enter late in the regular season. He’s not getting repeated work in the SF O or with the starters/2nd stringers.

Then he steps in and immediately adjusts his play to NFL game speed with those starters and turns in what can only be described as a thoroughly vet performance for an extended period. He had complete command of that team, its O and its players.

It’s truly an astounding feat and one that is extraordinarily rare - and for very good reason. To not recognize it for what it was makes one wonder how much some of the posters in their responses really understand what happened.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:10 am

Purdy provided the best qb play in SF since kappernick’s first year. Jimmy g always looked like he was playing trying not to make mistakes. His pocket awareness was not great either.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:11 am

lic217 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:07 am
mild wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:34 pm

As someone who’s Watched a lot of 49er games I can tell you that Jimmy would never throw the ball down the field, and if he did, it was almost never caught. In the last few years, I feel like he only completed a pass with more than 20 air yards a couple times. Brock on the other hand would complete It seems like a couple almost every game.
I hope Brock is ready for next year…
I’ve watched every single snap of Jimmy G and Brock P. Brock is as good as a rookie as Jimmy’s peak. There was zero sense that Shanahan wanted to take the ball out of Brock’s hands like he did Jimmy’s - opposite really, we saw the offense open up like never before since 2017 and Shanahan arrived. There was zero sense that Brock was the achilles heel of the team, like Jimmy was, especially in big end of game moments. Brock is the real deal. Like you and like the 49ers locker room, I too hope Brock is ready for next year.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:41 am

Brock certainly played well overall. He did have a few picks dropped down the stretch and his decisions certainly were not perfect but he also made plays and his body of work warrants a shot to start but he is going to have to win that job in camp next year. No way they will just hand him the job. His pocket awareness is a weakness but experience should help. Two examples: he threw a pass to Diggs that was dropped and could have really changed that game. He didn't check out of the play he was hurt on against Philly which would have been obvious to many QB's to do so. Granted, they are just two plays with opposite consequences but the coaches will drill down hard those to hopefully help him next year.

He reminds me somewhat of Nick Foles who had a great year in relief and won a title. He was never a real legit worthy franchise QB but is good enough to play in the league 10 plus years and counting and doesn't play scared.

It is a bit too soon to know if Purdy is a legit Franchise QB. He plays on a really good talented team with great short area receiving studs and a creative coach. He is solid compliment to the system but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a franchise QB. That said, he could be as he develops. He seems smart and has a legit release.

The QB situation should be fun to watch in San Fran next season.

I voted Lance will win that job and Purdy will be the back up. I doubt Purdy is ready for Camp personally which will set him back but I don't see a clear favorite at all either way.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:24 pm

Lance has had everything fall his way so far in '23: Purdy hurt (although it sounds like TJ surgery is going to be avoided), Brady retires (supposedly), and Rodgers stating he's not going to SF this past weekend.

Maybe distrust isn't the right word but Shanahan has to be disappointed in Lance's unavailability. Super Bowl windows are small, and while Shanahan has been better than a lot of coaches during his time in SF (1SB, 2 NFCCG)...who knows how much patience he has with Lance or how much patience management does (him or Lance).