Purdy vs Lance 2023

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

Purdy holds the job and Lance is a backup
41%
Lance regains the starting role and Purdy is a backup
33%
Lance is traded and gets a shot elsewhere
26%

Total votes: 97

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Re: Purdy vs Lance 2023

Postby dondickenson » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:28 pm

For those speculating about Purdy’s timeline, he is not currently scheduled to get Tommy John surgery. Shanahan said he will be able to throw a ball after 3 months and will be 100% as good as ever w full arm strength in 6 months. Things could change but for now that’s the expectation straight from Shanahan’s mouth.

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm

Purdy threw more passes his sophomore year in college than Lance has since high school. It's not surprising Purdy was more NFL ready. He's played more football.

You drafted Lance for his ceiling. As discussed here, Purdy's ceiling is Kirk Cousins. Lance's is Justin Fields/Jalen Hurts. Lance doesn't need to be good as long as he's out there playing. Fields passing game last year was not good. If Lance is the starter he's the QB you want to roster in fantasy.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:34 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm Purdy threw more passes his sophomore year in college than Lance has since high school. It's not surprising Purdy was more NFL ready. He's played more football.

You drafted Lance for his ceiling. As discussed here, Purdy's ceiling is Kirk Cousins. Lance's is Justin Fields/Jalen Hurts. Lance doesn't need to be good as long as he's out there playing. Fields passing game last year was not good. If Lance is the starter he's the QB you want to roster in fantasy.
Man, I grabbed Purdy because I'd already lost Lance, then Lamar, and didn't have a starting QB. I was just hoping one of Purdy/Lance would be healthy heading into the offseason. It appears Lance will be ready to go for training camp, possibly minicamp. But I'm kind of in a pickle now and feel like I have to hold all 3. Not ideal in a 1QB league with only 20 roster spots. But it is what it is.

Don't imagine I'm the only guy with a situation like this out there.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm Purdy threw more passes his sophomore year in college than Lance has since high school. It's not surprising Purdy was more NFL ready. He's played more football.

Well Fields did run his way to the first pick in the draft for his team. :shh:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:33 am

dondickenson wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:28 pm For those speculating about Purdy’s timeline, he is not currently scheduled to get Tommy John surgery. Shanahan said he will be able to throw a ball after 3 months and will be 100% as good as ever w full arm strength in 6 months. Things could change but for now that’s the expectation straight from Shanahan’s mouth.
It is all speculation at this point. Nobody will know until he undergoes surgery and the doctors give him the timeline to recovery. What Shanahan said was it looks like he doesn't need Tommy John surgery;

“I think the positive bit of news is that it seems to be consistent that the right approach is that one that takes about that six-month mark,” Lynch said. “Now, everybody will also say you never know until you get in there. Every surgeon will tell you that on every surgery, you always like getting in to see exactly."

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:13 pm

Just saw a report that Lance is not planning on working on his throwing mechanics. Huh?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:13 pm Just saw a report that Lance is not planning on working on his throwing mechanics. Huh?
Source?

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 pm

Ice wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 am

Huh??

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:21 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 pm
murphysxm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:13 pm Just saw a report that Lance is not planning on working on his throwing mechanics. Huh?
Source?

Trey Lance said he won't work on his throwing motion this offseason.
Asked by a reporter if he would spend the coming months improving his throwing motion, Lance said he would not, focusing on other, unnamed parts of his game. "I feel like I'm in a really good spot," said Lance, recovering from a second surgery on his broken right ankle -- an injury that ended his 2022 season in Week 2. Lance was terribly inaccurate on his 38 drop backs in the season's first couple weeks. Only Anthony Brown had a lower completion rate over expected than Lance, whose 6.3 yards per attempt ranked 29th among all QBs from Week 1-2. He'll likely compete with Brock Purdy for Week 1 starting duties if Purdy -- who suffered a serious elbow injury in the NFC Championship Game -- is able to throw the ball this summer.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:34 pm

Really hard to believe the 49ers won't explore adding a vet QB. Lance and Purdy are both huge risks. Lance, because he's way too raw, and hasn't had any time to develop since HS, basically. Not to the level needed. They could dumb down the offense and cater it to his strengths, but that won't be enough.

Purdy's injury could be an issue, it's a major risk walking into the season with a contending roster with those 2 guys. I would not rule out a veteran QB at this point. I don't think SF is set. I think the options are at least being explored behind the scenes.

Lynch and Shanny could get out of the Lance thing with the injury, with ownership perhaps, too.

"Look, the plan was for him to redshirt, start year 2, and be ready year 3 full on" etc. With what Brock did, the ownership see's they are still a relevant contender now, they may not be so hard to sell on trading Lance, even with the sunken cost.

It's at least possible. I can't think there's too many people out there that see Lance as a viable QB to take a team to a SB next year, including the 49ers at this point.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:47 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 pm

Huh??
Come on now, Do I really need to explain this little light heart type post with all the talk of running QB's over the last few years? Oh well, here you go: The Bears finished with a league worst 3-14 record, Fields is great at running but it didn't really help.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am

If Purdy's recovery goes well, the job is his to lose.

Lance will get a head start, but Purdy is light years ahead in every metric. The Niners won't declare a winner to keep both guys working hard, and will roll into the season with both QBs on the roster.

If Purdy doesn't win the job, then I'd be concerned for his future. The only way he doesn't win is if his rehab was slow or failed to some degree. The kid has the "it" factor big time.

The largest issue with Purdy was "Shanahan makes every QB look amazing", but if that was the case then Josh Johnson wouldn't have looked so pedestrian in the NFCCG. Purdy is legit. He's the guy to own.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:54 am

Ice wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:47 am

Huh??
Come on now, Do I really need to explain this little light heart type post with all the talk of running QB's over the last few years? Oh well, here you go: The Bears finished with a league worst 3-14 record, Fields is great at running but it didn't really help.
And how did he do in fantasy?.......................

9 Top 10 QB finishes.

I guess, I'll say it again: Lance does NOT have to be good to be a Top 5 Fantasy QB. All he needs is to be: there.

Fields early in 22' was DEAD. He was sold for two 2nds in one of my leagues. The same kind of dead outlook people have for Lance now. Hence, why I made the Fields comparison.

Except add CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle..... vs Monty, Dante Pettis, Equanimeous St Brown, Kmet, N'Keal Harry...

Lance's ceiling is Fields++

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:57 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:54 am
Ice wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:47 am

Huh??
And how did he do in fantasy?.......................

9 Top 10 QB finishes.

I guess, I'll say it again: Lance does NOT have to be good to be a Top 5 Fantasy QB. All he needs is to be: there.

Fields early in 22' was DEAD. He was sold for two 2nds in one of my leagues. The same kind of dead outlook people have for Lance now. Hence, why I made the Fields comparison.

Except add CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle..... vs Monty, Dante Pettis, Equanimeous St Brown, Kmet, N'Keal Harry...

Lance's ceiling is Fields++
How? He doesn't have more rushing upside. Lance looked fairly pedestrian as a runner, in his brief time, and he's had a major injury running the ball already. Sure, he has better weapons, but he doesn't have the same rushing upside, Fields was insanely good there.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:58 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am If Purdy's recovery goes well, the job is his to lose.

Lance will get a head start, but Purdy is light years ahead in every metric. The Niners won't declare a winner to keep both guys working hard, and will roll into the season with both QBs on the roster.

If Purdy doesn't win the job, then I'd be concerned for his future. The only way he doesn't win is if his rehab was slow or failed to some degree. The kid has the "it" factor big time.

The largest issue with Purdy was "Shanahan makes every QB look amazing", but if that was the case then Josh Johnson wouldn't have looked so pedestrian in the NFCCG. Purdy is legit. He's the guy to own.
I've said it before, but the players matter. Word on the street is, they want Purdy.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/49ers-play ... rdy-debate
Janiel Dones Truther