How to Value IDP against Offense

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

How to Value IDP against Offense

Postby waynesworld1234 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:47 pm

I'm new to IDP and joined a 10 team SF .5 PPR league with the following starting requirements: QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, F, SF, LB, DB, DL, IDP Flex.

I did a quick analytic using 2021 season and noticed the scoring worked out so that across the board the #1 scorer at the position was about 20 ppg at every position. Then, if you take the 20th RB, 30th WR, 10th TE, 10th LB, 10th DL, etc. then that player scored ~60% of the points compared to the top scoring player.

I would think that there is less predictability in IDP players year over year and it's not as simple as valuing IDP like offense, so how do you value players like Roquan Smith who seem like a lock for top 5? Should they be valued similar to a top 10 RB, or top 15 WR?

I think having a good IDP group of starters is going to be critical, I just don't want to overpay to get them. FWIW - Maxx Crosby went for a mid-late second this year and that was the only 1:1 IDP trade I've seen so far.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: How to Value IDP against Offense

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:47 am

Well, for your league you are only starting a total of 4 IDP players per team, 40 IDPs for the whole league each week. Therefore, there will always be decent guys you can grab off the waiver every single week. A mid 3nd is the highest I personally would pay for a R Smith or Nick Bosa type player, and I am likely to pay more than most on this board. I would not pay anything for a DB in this format, they are equivalent to kickers if you are only starting 1.

If you have very deep rosters (say 35+ guys), that might push some of the high end guys up a bit.

Sinatra's Liver
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sinatra's Liver » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:13 am

We are having discussions in my league about the value of IDPs. In our scoring set-up, only 2 IDPs were in the Top 50 overall. We start 4 IDPs and 7 players on offense. The highest scoring IDP came in at #34 and was 15.5 ppg. (1.5 per tackle and 0.75 per assist.)
10 Team, PPR, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex, 1K, 4 IDPs - Best Ball
QB: Lawrence, Watson, Richardson, Carr
RB: Barkley, KW3, JavWilliams, Pollard, Dillon, Charb, Abanikanda, Rodriguez
WR: Lamb, AJBrown, Dotson, JSN, M Evans, Watson, JPalmer
TE: Andrews, Goedert, Kmet
K: Butker, Hopkins, Aubrey
DE: Gary, J Phillips, Rousseau, Wilkins
LB: Wagner, DevWhite, Roquan, E Jones, Nakobe, DevLloyd, CHarris, Dennis
DB: Derwin J, Brisker, Pitre, Hamilton

Picks: #4, #7, #11, #13, #17

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Postby waynesworld1234 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:20 am

Ahwatukee Brewer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:13 am We are having discussions in my league about the value of IDPs. In our scoring set-up, only 2 IDPs were in the Top 50 overall. We start 4 IDPs and 7 players on offense. The highest scoring IDP came in at #34 and was 15.5 ppg. (1.5 per tackle and 0.75 per assist.)
Interesting points. In my league (2022) there are 3 LBs in the top 10 in scoring. Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Burrow, Kelce (TEP), Oloukun, Bolton, Smith, Ekeler. Top DB is Pitre at #19 overall. Crosby is the top DL at #39.

So, they're definitely valuable - I just think it would be really challenging to predict who that top scorer would be year over year.

Sinatra's Liver
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sinatra's Liver » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:49 am

waynesworld1234 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:20 am
Ahwatukee Brewer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:13 am We are having discussions in my league about the value of IDPs. In our scoring set-up, only 2 IDPs were in the Top 50 overall. We start 4 IDPs and 7 players on offense. The highest scoring IDP came in at #34 and was 15.5 ppg. (1.5 per tackle and 0.75 per assist.)
Interesting points. In my league (2022) there are 3 LBs in the top 10 in scoring. Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Burrow, Kelce (TEP), Oloukun, Bolton, Smith, Ekeler. Top DB is Pitre at #19 overall. Crosby is the top DL at #39.

So, they're definitely valuable - I just think it would be really challenging to predict who that top scorer would be year over year.

Obviously, my league is under valuing our IDPs, but our discussion is do we increase points per tackle or just add more IDPs to our starting lineups. Given the fact that only 2 IDPs are in the Top 50 leads me to believe that our scoring system needs to be updated. Do we go with 2 points per tackle and 1 point per assist? Dunno...

Predicting which IDPs will be higher scoring is indeed a challenge, but snap counts help me. Volume usually equates to points, but who is getting those snap counts is the real question.
10 Team, PPR, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex, 1K, 4 IDPs - Best Ball
QB: Lawrence, Watson, Richardson, Carr
RB: Barkley, KW3, JavWilliams, Pollard, Dillon, Charb, Abanikanda, Rodriguez
WR: Lamb, AJBrown, Dotson, JSN, M Evans, Watson, JPalmer
TE: Andrews, Goedert, Kmet
K: Butker, Hopkins, Aubrey
DE: Gary, J Phillips, Rousseau, Wilkins
LB: Wagner, DevWhite, Roquan, E Jones, Nakobe, DevLloyd, CHarris, Dennis
DB: Derwin J, Brisker, Pitre, Hamilton

Picks: #4, #7, #11, #13, #17

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:01 pm

IDP will have little value in your league, because you only start 4 IDP weekly versus 9 offensive starters, so less than 50%.

IDP value depends on two things: League scoring and league usage.
Your IDP scoring seems pretty good, but the low usage would dictate lower value on IDP, especially considering how much easier it is to find top IDP on waivers each year.

I play in full IDP leagues, meaning that IDP = offensive starters.
Start 10 offense/start 10 IDP
Start 11 offense/ start 11 IDP, etc.

In these leagues, in dynasty, with IDP123 scoring, you will see IDP players start to come off the board in round 3/4 of the startup draft.
With lower scoring, or fewer IDP starters, I would imagine that IDP would not start coming off the board until round 8/9 at the earliest in a startup.

There will always be some outliers, some who over-value IDP in these leagues, you usually find them in the bottom of the standings after the season is over.
Like in my start 11/11 but low scoring IDP league, one team took Aidan Hutchinson with pick 1.04 in the 2022 rookie draft.
We all had a good laugh, that team finished in 11th place out of 12 teams in 2022.

Moral of the story: Don't over-pay for IDP in leagues where they are hardly used, OR the league scoring for IDP is low compared to offensive players. Your league IDP is hardly used.

I was able to grab Frankie Luvu, LB10 on the 2022 season, and Talanoa Hufanga, DB5 on the 2022 season off waivers early in the season in a 20 team start 7/7 league.
Point is you can grab top 10 IDP off waivers if you pay attention, much easier than you can grab a top 10 RB/WR off waivers.
IDP values tend to change MUCH more drastically year to year than offensive players.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:12 am

waynesworld1234 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:47 pm I think having a good IDP group of starters is going to be critical
yeah, no, not really: with only starting 4 IDPs, there will always be good-to-great starting options on waivers. perryman was LB1 last season, he was on waivers in most leagues at the beginning of the season, even those starting 11 IDP. it's doesn't happen that often in leagues that deep, but if you only start 4, then it will definitely happen a lot.
with that in mind, paying a 2nd for an IDP player seems a waste of resources: 2nd rounders can still hit on offense, and are a good asset closer to the draft, it's not worth it to give it away for a player that can easily be replaced from waivers. maaaybe someone like garrett is worth a late 2nd. other than that, i'll let others overpay for IDP and work the waiver wire to get my starters.

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:58 am

A 10 team league where you only start 4 IDPs? Yeah, I don't see how they would have much value in that kind of a format. I love me some Roquan Smith, I have him in my IDP dynasty league in my sig, but no way would I move a top 10 RB or top 15 WR for him in that kind of a format.... not even close.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:51 pm

Piling on - with only 4 starters there are only like 5 IDPs I would trade ANY pick for - no reason to trade for LB1 when LB15 is free on the WW
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)