What to do if Commish doesn't uphold tanking rules?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

What to do if Commish doesn't uphold tanking rules?

Postby PigeonBoys » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 am

I have a situation occurring where there is an owner that is, in my opinion, blatantly tanking, yet the Commish keeps on justifying why they aren't tanking and it's getting very frustrating. They are family members so a lot of us feel like favorites are being played here. We implemented anti tanking rules saying that you need to put your best team out there and have a full roster. You are able to play a hunch but you can't blatantly tank for better draft position. First offense gets a 3rd pick taken away, 2nd offense gets 2nd pick, 3rd offense gets firs taken. This team has already had a their 3rd taken but apparently "misunderstood / misinterpreted the rules" so they would avoid the issue going forward.

Well the past two weeks the team sat both A. St. Brown and Zeke in favor of Gallup and Perine (even the week Mixon got hurt, started a backup). To me this is pretty apparent that he's tanking, I mean nobody is sitting the Sun God ever if he's healthy, he's an elite talent. The commish said he could see why someone would bench St. Brown since he was playing Buffalo. I sent him Fpros ECR saying there isn't a single expert playing any of those two over St. Brown. Nothing. On Sleeper 95% teams playing St. Brown vs 45% and under for the other two. Still nothing. They are saying that he is sitting these players, "playing a hunch" which seems to be the get out of jail free card if you want to tank. This team is the 2nd lowest scoring team despite having the 7th highest point total possible on the year. In reality they are a fringe playoff team that has made terrible start/sit decisions and is now tanking for the #1 pick knowing that will put them right back into contention next year. I have proposed we go to the total points possible model to combat this going forward but here we are dealing with it this year.

How would y'all approach this? How do you hold a Commish accountable that is playing fast and loose with the application of rules?
12 Team .5 PPR Dynasty Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1FLEX, 1TE, 1 DEF, 1K

2018: 2nd πŸ₯ˆ
2019: Champs :dance: πŸ†
2020: 2nd πŸ₯ˆ
2021: 2nd πŸ₯ˆ
2022: 2nd πŸ₯ˆ
2023: Champs :dance: πŸ†

QB: L. Jackson, D.Prescott, K. Cousins
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, A. Jones, T. Benson, K. Miller, J. Ford, D. Singletary, J. Williams
WR: J. Jefferson, A.St. Brown, DK Metcalf, M. Brown, N. Collins, C. Kirk, J. Smith-Schuster, KJ Osborn, M. Washington
TE: D. Njoku, D. Goedert, B. Sinnott

Draft picks:
2025 - 1st (Mid), 2nd, (early), 2nd (Late), 3rd, 4th, 4th
2026 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th
2027 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Kurtrambis1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: What to do if Commish doesn't uphold tanking rules?

Postby Kurtrambis1 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:45 am

That's a really frustrating situation to be in. But I would offer a trade including A. St. Brown stating "I've seen you have kept Brown on your bench the last two weeks and figured you might be open to trading him." If he is sitting him for worries against the opponent then maybe you can get him cheaper than he would normally go for in most leagues.

If he responds in anyway saying how "elite" he is then I think you use his words against him and screen shot it and post it in the group chat. This person can't have it both ways. How do the other people in your league feel about it? If a majority agree with you then I think you may have an easier time convincing the commish to enact the rules.
12 Team PPR League, 25 Man Rosters, 2 Taxi Squad
Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB- Murray, Lawrence, Mayfield
RB- Montgomery, Javonte Williams, Najee Harris, Jamaal Williams, Carter, Joshua Kelly, Trayveon Williams, Eli Mitchell
WR- J. Jefferson, Tyreek, D. Smith, Tank Dell, Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Renfrow, Rashee Rice
TE- Pitts, Ferguson, Higbee

Taxi-Kraft

Picks
24=1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
25= 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

actionjackson
Rookie
Rookie

Postby actionjackson » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:52 am

Let them tank and take their money. Sucks that people do this as it makes the week you play them no fun...but I like the free money they donate to the prize pool!

PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PigeonBoys » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:58 am

Kurtrambis1 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:45 am That's a really frustrating situation to be in. But I would offer a trade including A. St. Brown stating "I've seen you have kept Brown on your bench the last two weeks and figured you might be open to trading him." If he is sitting him for worries against the opponent then maybe you can get him cheaper than he would normally go for in most leagues.

If he responds in anyway saying how "elite" he is then I think you use his words against him and screen shot it and post it in the group chat. This person can't have it both ways. How do the other people in your league feel about it? If a majority agree with you then I think you may have an easier time convincing the commish to enact the rules.
The past two weeks about half the league has been calling out the owner via our league chat with no impact. I was laughing my arse off all sunday on the chat when Perine went off and backfired on the owner giving him a W. The past two weeks 3-4 four owners will point out that is happening and the Commish will just say something about how he could see why it is a judgment call. Right, I guess I should've sat Jefferson against the Bills huh cuz that makes sense. I think if we push every week he's going to get tired of it and give in but I don't think we should have to get to that point to hold people accountable.

RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, A. Jones, T. Benson, K. Miller, J. Ford, D. Singletary, J. Williams
WR: J. Jefferson, A.St. Brown, DK Metcalf, M. Brown, N. Collins, C. Kirk, J. Smith-Schuster, KJ Osborn, M. Washington

Draft picks:

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:08 am

Annoying situation to be in, and it's why all the leagues I am in decide draft order by points possible based on the entire roster, not just the starters. I'd propose that change in the offseason with a well thought out explanation to help others understand why many other methods can be abused via "judgement calls" etc.

It's tough to change things in season, and I doubt you convince the commish to punish someone for a rule that really isnt black and white like "start your best players." If there isnt a rule change, I would highly consider leaving the league unless you have some personal attachment to it.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:23 pm

As long as the team is active and starting players that are active and putting up points they are fine in my book. Otherwise you should just play by projected points and just see who can put together the best projected record. I really have no problem with either sitting Zeke for perine or amon-ra for Gallup given the matchups and QBs.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PigeonBoys » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:53 pm

abloom wrote: ↑Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:23 pm As long as the team is active and starting players that are active and putting up points they are fine in my book. Otherwise you should just play by projected points and just see who can put together the best projected record. I really have no problem with either sitting Zeke for perine or amon-ra for Gallup given the matchups and QBs.
I would imagine you wouldn't start Perine when he was a backup RB vs St. Brown 2 weeks ago. That's pretty egregious starting a backup RB versus an elite talent WR that was breaking records this year. Perine starting this week is an altogether different situation. The lineup isn't changing based on matchups either, he just left these guys in for multiple weeks regardless of updates. The main point of contention is whether or not he actually is trying to trot out his best team as we said in the rules, that you cannot just put in scrubs over your normal starters to fulfill the full lineup requirement. I would imagine most of us would think of St. Brown as a matchup proof WR and his numbers back that up, especially vs Gallup that hasn't scored over 10 pts yet this year lol.

Draft picks:

PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PigeonBoys » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:55 pm

Kurtrambis1 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:45 am That's a really frustrating situation to be in. But I would offer a trade including A. St. Brown stating "I've seen you have kept Brown on your bench the last two weeks and figured you might be open to trading him." If he is sitting him for worries against the opponent then maybe you can get him cheaper than he would normally go for in most leagues.

I'm going to do this right away cuz you're right why would he value such a player if he can't even crack the starting lineup? I mean you'd think the WR11 on the year (while missing time) would be a highly coveted dynasty asset but the same owner did just trade AJB for MVS, a first, a 2nd and two 3rds which I think is awful value but is what it is.

Draft picks:

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:11 pm

Sounds like your not going to be happy in the league long term. Bad trades, muddy rules, family deals. Probably best to play out this year and move on as bad as it sucks to do so.
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm

PigeonBoys wrote: ↑Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:53 pm
abloom wrote: ↑Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:23 pm As long as the team is active and starting players that are active and putting up points they are fine in my book. Otherwise you should just play by projected points and just see who can put together the best projected record. I really have no problem with either sitting Zeke for perine or amon-ra for Gallup given the matchups and QBs.
I would imagine you wouldn't start Perine when he was a backup RB vs St. Brown 2 weeks ago. That's pretty egregious starting a backup RB versus an elite talent WR that was breaking records this year. Perine starting this week is an altogether different situation. The lineup isn't changing based on matchups either, he just left these guys in for multiple weeks regardless of updates. The main point of contention is whether or not he actually is trying to trot out his best team as we said in the rules, that you cannot just put in scrubs over your normal starters to fulfill the full lineup requirement. I would imagine most of us would think of St. Brown as a matchup proof WR and his numbers back that up, especially vs Gallup that hasn't scored over 10 pts yet this year lol.
If these are flex positions, no I'm not starting perine over amonra. But I'm fine with perine being started over Zeke at RB and Gallup being started over amonra at wr. I don't think amonra is matchup proof. Not on that team.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

spider321
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby spider321 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 pm

That is exactly why the 6 worst teams have a "Toilet Bowl" playoff for the 1st pick in my league.
12 Team Standard Dynasty - QB, RB, 2WR, 2Flex, K, 3IDP (WR and TE are the same)

QB - Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence
RB - Bijan Robinson, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard. Najee Harris, Javonte Williams, Rachaad White, D'Andre Swift
WR - Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Kyle Pitts, George Pickens, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney
K - Daniel Carlson
IDP - Nick Bolton, Devin White, Derwin James

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm

It's basically the job of a commish, so leave. Long story, short.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PigeonBoys » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:55 am

FantasyFreak wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm It's basically the job of a commish, so leave. Long story, short.
Before I up and leave I would ask for a "come to Jesus" moment, a blunt / direct communication regarding the issues that are occurring and what we're going to do about it. In most things in life I don't think avoiding the situation / just leaving really does much to fix things. Really all I want is to figure out how to move forward, what's done is done and we need to move on but we also need to prevent this from occurring moving forward. I am about to clinch regular season league title and have been in the championship for three straight years so I don't think something like this would force me out because I'm still a top tier team. BUT the frustrating part is the issues are not being taken seriously and these aren't just my issues, this is about half the league voicing frustration.

Draft picks:

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Postby palevermilion » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:13 am

spider321 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 pm That is exactly why the 6 worst teams have a "Toilet Bowl" playoff for the 1st pick in my league.
This is a terrible solution. A league I commished used to do this, but the worst team never got the #1 pick. It was always the team that just missed the playoffs and then they'd usually go on to win the championship a year or 2 later while the bad team stayed bad.

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:19 am

Possible Points determines draft positions for non playoff teams, FOR THE WIN!
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints