General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Zach Wilson

Postby AussieMate » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:13 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:48 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:44 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:37 pm https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1584975201149759488

Make of this what you will but it's definitely interesting
Wow, that is next level terrible… Was young Blaine Gabbert that bad?
I mean depends how you look at it.

From everything I have seen on young QBs their performance in a clean pocket is the best indicator of future success. Many of the terrible rookie seasons were actually less bad when you just look at and compare clean pocket performance (and tbh that clean pocket performance is really really good)

On the other hand performance under pressure being THAT bad is still outside the norm. That's probably worse than Gabbert's
So the real question is, is performance under pressure something that is likely to improve with experience etc. Obvs the oline can always improve, but I mean just Zach himself because the clean pocket numbers are pretty good but even the best Oline won't keep it clean 100% of the time, but if historically panicking under pressure isn't something that has a history of improving then these are very telling stats. If that is something that is likely to improve then he may have a future after all.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:37 pm https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1584975201149759488

The aDOT doubling under pressure is pretty funny, yet terrifying

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:42 pm

Zach Wilson current stats while under pressure is alarming, not going to sugar coat it.

However, still need to give him the benefit of the doubt while he is 4-0 this season. He has been likely told by coaching staff to play conservative, don't turn the ball over and let the run game and defense carry the Jets. It has worked the past few games, but it is not going to work every game. Let's see what he does when he needs to put up points. That is all I am asking when judging Zach Wilson to date.
I am sure he can fling the ball Jameis Winston style and garner fantasy points, just not sure if that is conducive to winning NFL games.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:41 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:42 pm Zach Wilson current stats while under pressure is alarming, not going to sugar coat it.

However, still need to give him the benefit of the doubt while he is 4-0 this season. He has been likely told by coaching staff to play conservative, don't turn the ball over and let the run game and defense carry the Jets. It has worked the past few games, but it is not going to work every game. Let's see what he does when he needs to put up points. That is all I am asking when judging Zach Wilson to date.
I am sure he can fling the ball Jameis Winston style and garner fantasy points, just not sure if that is conducive to winning NFL games.
If we had to list the reasons the Jets are on a four game winning streak, he has little to nothing to do with it.

His numbers are awful even for a game manager. The "he's 4-0" would make sense if he was checking out in key areas, but he's not. I don't know how we can give him the benefit of the doubt when he's looked bad in his NFL career with small flashes sandwiched in between.

I'm not convinced he's even a fraction of the QB Winston was in Tampa.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:09 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Maybe it correlates with him going through reads and trying to get the downfield shot, resulting in pressure. But when he takes the easy short stuff, pressure doesn't have the time to get to him. Just my thought when I saw those numbers. If he's feeling pressure and instantly goes to a deep target, well that's not going to end well

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:41 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:09 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Maybe it correlates with him going through reads and trying to get the downfield shot, resulting in pressure. But when he takes the easy short stuff, pressure doesn't have the time to get to him. Just my thought when I saw those numbers. If he's feeling pressure and instantly goes to a deep target, well that's not going to end well
It’s also the kind of pressure he’s facing. It’s one thing to count a pressure because a guard is getting walked backwards. It’s another thing altogether when someone is coming completely untouched. I don’t know what his sack number was last week, but it could have easily been tripled if not for his escapability.

Now does that mean he’s playing well otherwise? No. But his line has been in shambles all year with rotating players at positions they don’t start in normally. Becton has played a total of 48 snaps since drafted. And now Vera-Tucker could be out.

It’s possible he winds up like David Carr or to a lesser degree Darnold, who saw ghosts on these very same Jets.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:53 pm

As the OP of this thread, Zach owner, and fresh converted Jets fan (this year I switched teams after 2 decades)….I’m ready to admit Zach doesn’t have it.

I really don’t know what this means for the Jets however. Not sure how they get some better QB play at this point.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:02 pm

It's a pretty bad 355 yard passing game.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:50 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:02 pm It's a pretty bad 355 yard passing game.
The thing is it wasn’t even bad overall. He just keeps making 2-3 absolutely boneheaded mistakes a game. The rest was pretty good

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:00 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:50 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:02 pm It's a pretty bad 355 yard passing game.
The thing is it wasn’t even bad overall. He just keeps making 2-3 absolutely boneheaded mistakes a game. The rest was pretty good
He looked alright in the 1st half and in the 2nd half looked like one of the worst QBs in the league.

The things that always stick out to me and from what I hear the announcers harp on:

- Footwork is inconsistent
- He doesn't see the field well
- Inaccuracy
- General decision-making
- Running backwards and melting under pressure

He has the arm talent and mobility you want in a QB, but he just doesn't seem to have....anything else. He kind of looks like Johnny Manziel when he played in the NFL.

It's unfortunate that Breece tore his ACL, because he was looking like a rare, difference-making RB. With him healthy and a competent QB, this Jets team could be contenders in the next year or two. I just don't think Wilson is that guy.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:14 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:50 pm
I think I disagree here. He was producing stats but he was missing so many opportunities where he doesn’t throw. He is suffering from the same thing Fields is - the difference between college open and NFL open.

There was a play today where Garrett has his hand up calling for the ball on a slant/cross over the middle. Zach bailed on it and started scrambling to his right. Wound up throwing the ball away.

He gets legitimate pressure and does this. But other times it’s the above scenario where he just won’t 3 step, plant, and deliver the ball.

He is melting under pressure, which he has never had to deal with before the NFL. Other times he’s creating the pressure/problems.

Edit: Could they have survived and won today without the final 2 boneheaded INTs? Yes, they could have. He still isn’t playing well.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:16 pm

Yeah I agree, many times I wish he just delivered the ball after his drop back. The good thing is he has a gunslinger mentality, usually we want that for fantasy. But he has to do it within the structure of the offense.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:16 pm

I had this saved on my watch later list and just now finally got around to viewing it. There isn’t a lot to hate up until that first pick. There are some really nice escapes, near misses (great play by the DB on the pass break up to Carter in the end zone), and that perfect deep pass to Wilson while rolling out.

Looks like as the game went on and the repeated pressure he started looking down at the rush. At 7:12 he has Garrett open over the middle (similar to one he already connected on him with) but the rush comes from the right and he looks worried and doesn’t release it.

Edit: That entire game went by without a single hitch pass or screen. Zach is making some bad plays, the OL is decimated, but the play calling is certainly questionable. You want the D to stop teeing off on your QB? Stop the blitzes? Slow the rush when they have the lead? Where are the screens? I’m just an arm-chair OC over here and I know that. Problem is that the play caller won’t change any time soon as Saleh was his best man. Hopefully, Lafleur starts calling better bleep.

All passes:
https://youtu.be/skfPjI8ZlfM

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:30 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:16 pm Yeah I agree, many times I wish he just delivered the ball after his drop back. The good thing is he has a gunslinger mentality, usually we want that for fantasy. But he has to do it within the structure of the offense.
New video from the Bills game, all throws. I am extremely impressed from this one. Wow.

https://youtu.be/RcRv7pBtU5M

We both got what we wanted in this one.

1) Drop, plant, deliver a strike. This happened all day.
2) Some screens and hitches called. Quick passing game was called due to the patched together line and the Bills rotation on D line. Good job Lafleur.
3) When the pocket collapsed, he actually ran forward. Just a HELL of a LOT better situational awareness, against a good team. Great to see.

There are some absolute lasers tossed in this game. All arm angles, at times in the face of the rush (which is something he seemed to shy away from before.)

1:08 mark, 2:20 - 😳, 2:41, 3:58 - 😳

3 misses. 1 throw away. 1 strip sack by Von Miller from behind.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:24 pm

I liked him a lot coming out but it's scary how Mark Sanchez he is in so many ways.