Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:04 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:44 am
While you’re right that JAG isn’t necessarily a bust, it is if FFers are paying a late 1st/early 2nd rounder on him.

No, it just means he was being overvalued/drafted.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:12 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:04 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:44 am
While you’re right that JAG isn’t necessarily a bust, it is if FFers are paying a late 1st/early 2nd rounder on him.

No, it just means he was being overvalued/drafted.
That could be said of every 1st/early 2nd rounder that ends up as JAG or worse. And the term for it is “bust”.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 am

Not when the guy never should have been drafted in that range to begin with. He was a mid 2 at best.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:54 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:24 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 pm
mild wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:11 pm

Exactly. The waiver wires have largely been picked clean in my leagues. It's not like there are other, better dynasty options out there. It's not like we're dropping him.

I don't understand the rush to call him a bust when he's literally a 21 year old that has played no regular season snaps yet. It sounds like we may see him get some snaps finally. So let's see it.

And I also don't know why anyone would be putting too much credit in Sony Michel running ahead of him, given that it's obviously a Brandon Staley decision, and that he is likely doing the "tough love, I need a veteran in there who won't f-it-up" etc. I don't know what that particular HC has earned thus far for us to trust his opinion on... well, anything.
+1.

That's my take too, wait until the kid sees some game action.
People really quick to hate on a 4th round pick. smdh.
For what? So they can brag about their boy James Cook? gtfoh.

Give rookies the whole season to show you something, especially later round picks.
I could understand people throwing Spiller in the trash if he was a 1st or 2nd round pick that couldn't get on the field, but c'mon now.
People weren’t treating him like a day 3 guy who almost fell to the 5th round though.

People were on this sub asking if he was worthy of a late 1st 😂
And sadly, there wasn’t an obvious shutdown of such foolishness! There were multiple people on here advocating for “taking your guy” and being ok with Spiller around the 10-12 pick.
10-12 would’ve been too high, sure, but I grabbed him at 17 and there just wasn’t that much depth in this draft. I would absolutely grab Doubs ahead of him now and probably Jelani Woods or Daniel Bellinger, but after that? Not a lot of guys where I’m feeling a strong sense of regret for missing on.

I think people were elevating him because they were desperate for a RB prospect and he was a productive SEC back. Personally, I just felt like there has to be a window for 4th round backs. The idea being that almost no backs get picked in the first, so the whole position has maybe dropped a round. Historically, 3rd rounders have had some success, so maybe that will be 4th rounders now. It hasn’t really happened so far, but sometimes you try to predict in an effort to get ahead of the curve.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:15 am

KTC had this guy at RB14 prior to the combine. Around RB25 pre draft, 35 post draft and now RB50.

Yeah if you drafted him late 2nd, whatever. But theres plenty who took him earlier. He went 1.10 in that GEDL league that drafts prior to the NFL draft

He's been falling like a rock and is certainly headed for bustville. And I'm not talking about Canton.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:06 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 pm
mild wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:11 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:56 pm

I’m mostly just hoping to see Spiller get a few snaps. I don’t care who he’s behind. This is a move in the right direction. Mostly just want to get some NFL regular season looks at him.
Exactly. The waiver wires have largely been picked clean in my leagues. It's not like there are other, better dynasty options out there. It's not like we're dropping him.

I don't understand the rush to call him a bust when he's literally a 21 year old that has played no regular season snaps yet. It sounds like we may see him get some snaps finally. So let's see it.

And I also don't know why anyone would be putting too much credit in Sony Michel running ahead of him, given that it's obviously a Brandon Staley decision, and that he is likely doing the "tough love, I need a veteran in there who won't f-it-up" etc. I don't know what that particular HC has earned thus far for us to trust his opinion on... well, anything.
+1.

That's my take too, wait until the kid sees some game action.
People really quick to hate on a 4th round pick. smdh.
For what? So they can brag about their boy James Cook? gtfoh.

Give rookies the whole season to show you something, especially later round picks.
I could understand people throwing Spiller in the trash if he was a 1st or 2nd round pick that couldn't get on the field, but c'mon now.
I didn't like either. My issue was people were still taking this guy in the back of the first, and people still talking him up, mostly due to his devy status IMO. He's a slow, super un-athletic player who has a low BMI, and couldn't see the field until injuries got him there. He's a JAG until he proves otherwise.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:02 pm

STUD.

I have more rushing yards than he does, on his career, now.

All jokes aside, not a promising sign.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

spider321
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby spider321 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:33 pm

7 carries to Michel's 1 so far today.
12 Team Standard Dynasty - QB, RB, 2WR, 2Flex, K, 3IDP (WR and TE are the same)

QB - Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence
RB - Bijan Robinson, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard. Najee Harris, Javonte Williams, Rachaad White, D'Andre Swift
WR - Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Kyle Pitts, George Pickens, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney
K - Daniel Carlson
IDP - Nick Bolton, Devin White, Derwin James

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:38 pm

spider321 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:33 pm 7 carries to Michel's 1 so far today.
I mean that's not really too impressive considering Michel was the 3. Its good that he's active and getting touches but it's bad that it took this long to beat the original 3

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:10 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:38 pm
I mean that's not really too impressive considering Michel was the 3. Its good that he's active and getting touches but it's bad that it took this long to beat the original 3
One of the carries went for 8 whole yards! Most of these touches looked... NFL level quality?

For a man most around here think is not athletic enough to bring out the Gatorade tub, much less tote the rock: I'll take it.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:36 am

mild wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:10 pm
One of the carries went for 8 whole yards! Most of these touches looked... NFL level quality?

For a man most around here think is not athletic enough to bring out the Gatorade tub, much less tote the rock: I'll take it.
I'll take it too. Understudy to Ekeler for a season or two was always the plan for Spiller. Didn't matter whether he became the #1 backup in week 1 or week 13.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:57 am

mild wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:10 pm

7 yards. He's a JAG, as of now. You've somehow managed to try and skew the argument into the fact he wasn't a top end RB in the Dynasty FF community, and now all of a sudden his minimal contributions are sticking it to the man who thought he was a an average RB. Go ahead, "take it". He's a JAG until he proves otherwise, and good luck with that.

The man is a straw, as of now.
Janiel Dones Truther

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:45 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:57 am
mild wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:10 pm One of the carries went for 8 whole yards! Most of these touches looked... NFL level quality?

7 yards. He's a JAG, as of now. You've somehow managed to try and skew the argument into the fact he wasn't a top end RB in the Dynasty FF community, and now all of a sudden his minimal contributions are sticking it to the man who thought he was a an average RB. Go ahead, "take it". He's a JAG until he proves otherwise, and good luck with that.

The man is a straw, as of now.
Definitely re-read it with a healthy dose of sarcasm my good man. I've skewed the argument because that's where we're at over here in #SpillerStocks land. Just re-read the last few pages of this thread. It's been grim! He's practically dead! I'd rather have the free roster spot! Etc.

I'd love more to celebrate, naturally. I'm definitely making fun of his 8... sorry, 7 yard carry like it's a good thing.

I'm just glad that he's finally supplanted a fellow JAG for the #2 role. Progress!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:35 am

Wonder if this Jag can pass up the injured Jag

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:21 am

Wow there are some attitudes on here that really DON'T want this guy to be a success...because it would make their call a bad call? Why root against a guy so much, other than for your own pride? Something to consider...

Austin Ekeler was just a 200lb rookie rb that offered up 260 rushing yards and 279 receiving yards behind a 24yo Gordon who ran for 1105 and received for 476. Ekeler was a handcuff, a scat back behind a 24yo heavily invested in lead back. Essentially Ekeler was JAG. Until he wasn't. Yes, there was an efficiency there. We see that all the time in 3rd and long type receiving backs.
I guess my point is simply...many on here had given Ekeler pretty much no chance at lead back duties due to his size and situation. Now people are giving Spiller no chance due to his track and field athletics. Write him off if you like. I'm not...and yes it is based on what he was able to do in college. We'll see what he can do in the NFL. Most players don't live up to anything close to their "promise," so chances are against him, but if we just wrote him off because chances are against him, we'd have to write off almost everyone. Maybe occasionally it would be worth rostering some younger player...like Calvin Johnson, or Adrian Peterson...but other than that they are not rosterable because chances are against them, right? :think: