2023 RB class and “utter nonsense”

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2023 RB class and “utter nonsense”

Postby JoeJoe88 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:07 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:43 pm
grandmabetty wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:34 pm This thread has become all about defining and disagreeing about the term generational. Anyone have any comments about the prospects in the 23 draft class? Will anyone approach Bijan in terms of perceived output?
Post landing spots someone likely will at least to a subset of the community. My guess would be Gibbs or Evans
Don’t sleep on Sean Tucker.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:35 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:06 pm
Mjvb5 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:43 pm
grandmabetty wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:34 pm This thread has become all about defining and disagreeing about the term generational. Anyone have any comments about the prospects in the 23 draft class? Will anyone approach Bijan in terms of perceived output?
Post landing spots someone likely will at least to a subset of the community. My guess would be Gibbs or Evans
Don’t sleep on Sean Tucker.
Currently he's my rb4 in the third tier of guys. I could definitely see him spike with better than expected draft capital to a spot like TEN if they move off henry

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:23 pm

natjjohn wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:05 pm
honcho55 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:01 pm It’s kinda hard to come to a consensus on what all these ‘terms’ mean. Generational, elite, etc. I’m general I’d guess the majority of this forum would agree with me that Generational gets overused. The word seems pretty clear that it means something along the lines of “once in a generation”. Well, what’s a generation? 15-20ish years if you go by Gen X/boomer/millennial method, I think that works. Basically a prospect you expect to be the best back in the league for the bulk of his career

Is Bijan the once in 15-20 years prospect? There’s an argument for it. I think I’d take Barkley, but that’s just me.

Are there other guys on top of that? Nah, abusing the word imo.

Also of note, even a generational level prospect can fail, or disappoint, particularly when injuries happen.
So yes, Generational to me is probably closer to a 3-5 year window.
Generational talent and 3-5 year window are quite different I think for most people.
It depends howbwe think of a generation. In terms of people being born, yes, 20 years is probably about right but in terms of a group of players in the NFL I would tend to think of it in terms of player career lifespans so for running backs I could see saying once per 5 year level is generational
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Generational talent phrase is way overused. I have seen it attached to Zeke, Barkley, and Bijan.
I like Bijan a lot, and he is probably the highest profile RB to come out since Barkley in 2018.

That said, Bijan is only a generational talent if a generation only lasts 3-4 years.
You can't have 6-10 generational RB's in one generation.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 pm Generational talent phrase is way overused. I have seen it attached to Zeke, Barkley, and Bijan.
I like Bijan a lot, and he is probably the highest profile RB to come out since Barkley in 2018.

That said, Bijan is only a generational talent if a generation only lasts 3-4 years.
In RB terms, 3-4 years is a lifetime.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:01 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 pm Generational talent phrase is way overused. I have seen it attached to Zeke, Barkley, and Bijan.

In RB terms, 3-4 years is a lifetime.
It’s also a college career for most prospects.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:59 am

It was put on Gurley, I don't recall it being used for Zeke, but I do Barkley. Gurley was definitely being called the best RB prospect since AP, I remember that. He was well on his way to a HOF career before his arthritis kicked in. He should never have gone back to Georgia and played after his suspension. :boohoo:

Bijan is good, but I definitely don't see him as being as talented as Gurley, or Barkley, but I actually think he's probably a better running back than Barkley, if that makes sense.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:05 pm

Kcarr wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:23 pm
It depends howbwe think of a generation. In terms of people being born, yes, 20 years is probably about right but in terms of a group of players in the NFL I would tend to think of it in terms of player career lifespans so for running backs I could see saying once per 5 year level is generational
This is only of the case because of averaging. The mean nfl career is 4 years because so many guys wash out early. Successful players last longer than that. And if we are talking about a "once per generation" player that guy will probably play even a little longer. AP was playing well for at least 10 yrs. Before that I think you'd have to say LT who had 9 good or better seasons and his 10th and last was OK. Maybe Chris Johnson fits in there somewhere. But I'm not sure anyone currently playing earns that distinction. It's a way overused term (like many other examples of hyperbole) in the fantasy community.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:47 pm I told a league mate (patsfan86) that Bijan is the best player and only generational RB in the class and was told “that is utter nonsense”.

What does the DLF forum feel? Is it “utter nonsense” to say Bijan is the only generational back? I said the other guys were Josh Jacobs level talents. Let’s talk!
I would say that Bijan is the only "generational" back, though I feel that phrase is thrown around too loosely.
However, I think there are some other very good RB's coming out in the 2023 class.
More along the lines of Swift, Dobbins, Akers, from the 2020 class, or Mixon, Cook, Kamara from the 2017 class than Josh Jacobs level backs.

I think Zach Evans, Tank Bigsby, Sean Tucker, as well as Devon Archane and Jahmyr Gibbs have the potential to be future RB1's depending on landing spots, etc.

I think the 23 class is much better than the 22 class.
Bijan is better than Breece, and another 3-5 RB's will be better than Ken Walker.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:01 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:47 pm I told a league mate (patsfan86) that Bijan is the best player and only generational RB in the class and was told “that is utter nonsense”.

What does the DLF forum feel? Is it “utter nonsense” to say Bijan is the only generational back? I said the other guys were Josh Jacobs level talents. Let’s talk!
I would say that Bijan is the only "generational" back, though I feel that phrase is thrown around too loosely.
However, I think there are some other very good RB's coming out in the 2023 class.
More along the lines of Swift, Dobbins, Akers, from the 2020 class, or Mixon, Cook, Kamara from the 2017 class than Josh Jacobs level backs.

I think Zach Evans, Tank Bigsby, Sean Tucker, as well as Devon Archane and Jahmyr Gibbs have the potential to be future RB1's depending on landing spots, etc.

Bijan is better than Breece, and another 3-5 RB's will be better than Ken Walker.
I think you're way too high on this class. The 2018 class was a good example of this. That class looked better than this one, and look how that played out. Bigbsy isn't that good IMO, though I like the looks of Tucker. Gibbs is a COP back, until I see otherwise (though he does have a good all round skill set, not convinced he's hard enough to be a lead back, we shall see this season with Bama) and I am not overly impressed with Evans, either. I'd like to be, I own multiple firsts in a start 3 RB/SF league next year. I see nothing spectacular, just good depth.

4-6 RB's better than last years Doak Walker winner, who runs a sub 4.4 at about 210? Good luck with that. Walker as a pure runner has only Bijan to compete with, and speed wise, Bijan isn't there with him. Unless all these guys are catching 80 passes a year, I am calling a big fat no to that idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of them can throw the ball better than Jalen Hurts, though. :lol: :wink:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:32 am

Let's talk about the the 2024 class. It will be generational!
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:14 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:32 am Let's talk about the the 2024 class. It will be generational!
Lol Henderson went 1.1 in a devy draft I did a month or two ago

It was a startup

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:16 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:01 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 pm

I think you're way too high on this class. The 2018 class was a good example of this. That class looked better than this one, and look how that played out. Bigbsy isn't that good IMO, though I like the looks of Tucker. Gibbs is a COP back, until I see otherwise (though he does have a good all round skill set, not convinced he's hard enough to be a lead back, we shall see this season with Bama) and I am not overly impressed with Evans, either. I'd like to be, I own multiple firsts in a start 3 RB/SF league next year. I see nothing spectacular, just good depth.

4-6 RB's better than last years Doak Walker winner, who runs a sub 4.4 at about 210? Good luck with that. Walker as a pure runner has only Bijan to compete with, and speed wise, Bijan isn't there with him. Unless all these guys are catching 80 passes a year, I am calling a big fat no to that idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of them can throw the ball better than Jalen Hurts, though. :lol: :wink:
Agree with you here
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 am

Shcritters wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:04 pm The last RB before Barkley that I thought was ‘generational’ was Adrian Peterson. He had the hype building from his freshman year. Bijan is like that… but my gut says every 3-5 years another of those comes along.

FWIW, Zeke wasn’t really considered amazing until he fell into the perfect spot on the Boys. As soon as he was drafted there it was all systems go, but if I remember correctly he wasn’t automatically assumed to be a generational RB. If he wasn’t drafted there I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t even be in this conversation.
Didn't Urban call him the best player he ever coached?

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:27 am

More I think on it, less I’m mad about 3-5 years being an RB “generation”. I still personally think it’s longer like 10-15+ but, oh well. I’m not exempt from being prone to hyperbole either. Plus you can get in to things like Peterson being a generational pure runner and Barkley being a generational overall prospect. I suppose the way the league is evolving we may see a generational pass catching back prospect too?

Still feels like overuse of the word to a degree but maybe not by a ton.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st