Reduced Yearly Dues for Commissioner?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
badassaccountant
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Reduced Yearly Dues for Commissioner?

Postby badassaccountant » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:30 am

I am in the process of creating an intricate, 32-team dynasty league with contracts and salary caps. The workload for myself as commissioner will be pretty significant, so I'll also have 2 co-commissioners for a total of 3-man "Commish Team". Since the workload will be quite a bit for the 3 of us, have any of you ever been part of a league where the commissioner has a reduced yearly entry fee? For example, if the yearly dues are $100, the commissioner only pays $50. Thoughts?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Reduced Yearly Dues for Commissioner?

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:00 am

Ive never done one of these with reduced fee before and Im in about 5 or 6 leagues like that where in some the same commish group have been doing it for 10+ years just for the fun of it

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:04 am

I’ve commished and co-commished multiple leagues, some of them pretty complex. I’ve never even thought of asking for others to help pay my dues (which is what reduced dues is). My payback is knowing the owners like the league and are having fun.

If you are in a good league management system (which is why I really like mfl) that handles complex leagues with the software doing a lot of the leg work, the hard part is the setup, after which the workload lightens significantly. Good luck getting it up and running.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:08 am

I've seen everything from the commish paying no fee each year, to the commish paying full price.

For a 32-team league, I think it's fine to ask for 1/2 off. That's going to be a lot of work. I once ran a 42-team league - it was a lot of fun but it was even more work.
Last edited by Anteaters on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:22 am

Don't see any problems with it as long as it is disclosed upfront. Anyone that doesn't agree is free to find another lg.

The amount of time invested compared to the fee is likely to be less than minimum wage unless it's a High Roller lg. If someone has a problem with that then they aren't likely to appreciate the job you're doing anyhow. Better off w/o them

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:04 am

cazzie33 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:22 am Don't see any problems with it as long as it is disclosed upfront. Anyone that doesn't agree is free to find another lg.

The amount of time invested compared to the fee is likely to be less than minimum wage unless it's a High Roller lg. If someone has a problem with that then they aren't likely to appreciate the job you're doing anyhow. Better off w/o them
Yep, I agree here. You can make the league however you want as long as it's clear that you are asking for a reduction up front. I'd have no problem with it considering the work involved if I wanted to join the league.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:21 am

I used to be in a league with a very complicated salary cap/contract structure before any websites were around that could handle it. The commissioner paid half dues and since it was a friends league most if us bought him beers throughout the year too. He put in a lot of work and we all appreciated it. Then when RSO became a thing we moved the league there and he pays same dues as rest of us. I see no issue with partial/no dues for commissioner in an extra complicated league as long as everybody is completely aware of it and agrees. That is mostly going to be in leagues where everybody knows each other.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:30 am

Whatever your league decides

50% seems like too much though for 3 people.

I have Commish highly complex IDP salary cap with draft auction and tagging players

We had 2 Commish but didn’t charge. Don’t believe in it personally but it is work.

Maybe 25% the first year but reduced after year 1 as it will get easier.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jgoodie24
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jgoodie24 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:01 am

A few people in the my league regularly try to give me free or reduced dues when we discuss rule changes each year. I turn it down because I do it for fun. My attitude is that if I need to be paid to do it, then it's a job and I will get resentful of it. That said, the time you put in can certainly be considered as the payment of dues.

As several others have said, as long as everyone is aware of it up front, it should be fine. I think that goes for pretty much all decisions a commish makes - keep things transparent and people will generally be okay with it even if they don't necessarily agree.
Riverside Van Dwellers - 2021 Champion
10 Team, 0.5 PPR:
starts 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 D/ST, 1 K
12 bench, 4 IR, 3 Redshirts (2 yr limit)

QB: T. Brady, J. Garoppolo
RB: D. Singletary, D. Swift, CEH, J. Cook, J. Warren, J. McKinnon
WR: C. Kupp, T. Higgins, K. Allen, DeVonta Smith, G. Davis, A-R St. Brown, A. Pierce
TE: T. Higbee, TJ Hockenson
K: T. Bass, B. Maher
D/ST: Pit, Ind, LAR
IR: Marquise Brown
Redshirt: D. Ridder, K. Williams

2023 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4x2
2024 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

badassaccountant
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby badassaccountant » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:18 pm

Great advice everyone! Thank you for responding. We would definitely disclose up-front in the bylaws the reduced commissioner annual fee and payouts. Much appreciated!

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:55 pm

You could always host your league on mfl and pay full price like the other 29 members. Mfl handles all your settings.

Years ago I joined a league that the commish discounted himself. Didn't have a problem with that until the commish was pulling lopsided trades (all offers he had sent). We started losing owners because of this and recruiting replacements was up to the commish. More awful trades followed. The rest of us felt it unfair for the commish to keep winning money while paying 1/2 price on the basis of his continued lopsided trades. It was yr 4 I believe, that 6 of us bailed.

I'm not suggesting that you'd be the commish to swindle everyone who joined in good faith, but it's inevitable that if your a championship team....the other owners would think you should pay full price aswell.

3yrs ago I picked up an orphan, after paying and the rookie draft...I found out the commish played for free. Pretty much the same experience from that 1st league. 9 of 16 bailed when the commish randomly started asking for vetos and ultimately changed the trade deadline to add a QB for the playoffs when his got injured.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:37 am

What kind of jackass begs the league to save him $50? Just do the job you cheapskate.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:03 am

skinfanjon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:37 am What kind of jackass begs the league to save him $50? Just do the job you cheapskate.
They may not be a jackass. Even a token reduction in league free is an acknowledgement of the work put in to a league by the commish. That can help.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:59 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:37 am What kind of jackass begs the league to save him $50? Just do the job you cheapskate.
A lesser jackass than the person who would make this response. But then again I am guessing you are trolling to get a response. Not sure which one applies here

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:41 pm

I’d be good with it.