George Pickens Vs Jahan Dotson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: George Pickens Vs Jahan Dotson

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:16 am

That's why I love this place. Where else can I get ganged up on and ridiculed for saying outlandish things like route running matters more for a 5'10 guy than a 6'4 guy? :lol:
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:56 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:54 am
dynastyninja wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:42 am Route running >>> height

Maybe 10 years ago it mattered to be 6'4", but now it's basically a detriment. Someone that tall is going to lose quickness.

Being open is a more valuable trait than being able to make contested catches (not that contested catching isn't a valuable skill).
Yep, I used to drool over a guy like Trey Burks, now I'm all about guys like Jameson Williams, it's a different landscape now with every blade of grass being used. (the only cool thing Collingsworth ever said)
It's not only that. CBs aren't allowed to monster wrs out there anymore. Or even touch them. That's why the smaller guys had a hard time in days back when.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:16 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:16 am That's why I love this place. Where else can I get ganged up on and ridiculed for saying outlandish things like route running matters more for a 5'10 guy than a 6'4 guy? :lol:
I'm not sure I even understand your point. Route running matters, regardless of height. A 6'4 guy is going to have a harder time running routes as well as a 5'10 guy is.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:48 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:16 pm
ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:16 am That's why I love this place. Where else can I get ganged up on and ridiculed for saying outlandish things like route running matters more for a 5'10 guy than a 6'4 guy? :lol:
I'm not sure I even understand your point. Route running matters, regardless of height. A 6'4 guy is going to have a harder time running routes as well as a 5'10 guy is.
Being open matters (and there's lots of ways to define "open"). Being an elite route runner is one way to accomplish that, and for guys that look like Diontae, it's kinda the only way. Guys with good length or strength and size to brush off press coverage more easily have other ways to create distance between the catch point and the closest defender. So a big athletic wr still needs to be able to run routes, but they can be effective as a pretty good route runner, whereas the 5'10 180 guy needs to be a great route runner to be effective. both are good skills, but there's more than one way to skin a cat in a physical game like football.
On that note, I think pickens upside lies in that he moves very quickly and fluidly for a guy his size. He looks like a player with the quickness to development into a very good route runner. He wasn't asked to do that at Georgia and probably is pretty raw as a result, but it's much easier to define routes early in your career than to get faster or taller (CeeDee Lambs growth spurt aside)
The Diontae route running thing is moot though. I never said pickens was overtaking Diontae, that was how another poster misread my post and it resulted in this big aside 😁.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:25 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:56 am
murphysxm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:41 pm I may have some Big 10 bias here, but this narrative that Dotson is "safe" doesn't make sense to me. Gun to my head, my choice would be how I feel on that day, but I have zero doubts Dotson can be a WR1. The only negatives I see to his game is how close his name is to Josh Doctson's. Jahan is very talented
Maybe he should add an apostrophe after the 2nd letter. Ja'Han Dotson. That would distance himself in similarity to Josh Doctson's overall name, and put him in a much higher pedigree of player with the likes of Ja"Marr Chase, and Le'Veon Bell. #analyticsmatter
I want to also point out, that Josh played for TCU, and so did Reagor. Both players names start with a J. So steer clear of TCU WR's who's first names start with a J. #analyticsmatter
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:25 am
murphysxm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:41 pm I may have some Big 10 bias here, but this narrative that Dotson is "safe" doesn't make sense to me. Gun to my head, my choice would be how I feel on that day, but I have zero doubts Dotson can be a WR1. The only negatives I see to his game is how close his name is to Josh Doctson's. Jahan is very talented
Maybe he should add an apostrophe after the 2nd letter. Ja'Han Dotson. That would distance himself in similarity to Josh Doctson's overall name, and put him in a much higher pedigree of player with the likes of Ja"Marr Chase, and Le'Veon Bell. #analyticsmatter
I want to also point out, that Josh played for TCU, and so did Reagor. Both players names start with a J. So steer clear of TCU WR's who's first names start with a J. #analyticsmatter
Is it any name starts J? Or just first name?
Asking for the mighty fine looking 23 prospect, Quentin Johnson.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:11 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:25 am

Is it any name starts J? Or just first name?
Asking for the mighty fine looking 23 prospect, Quentin Johnson.
It's definitely not as bad, but having 2 syllables in his last name, like Reagor, and Doctson is a bit of a red flag. Second syllable ending in "or" and "on" seems to be a bad sign, too.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

AllEliteDynasty
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby AllEliteDynasty » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:49 am

Don't overthink it, Dotson

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Pickens just LOOKS better to me when I simply watch them. I know…eyes can lie. I suppose I’d rather go with my eyes and be wrong than go against my own eyes (go with draft capital) and be wrong. It really sucks to feel one way, follow consensus instead, and down the road realize you should have followed your own evaluation.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:30 am

This is a hard one and I ended up going Dotson. Dotson was taken way earlier and Pickens seems like a bonehead. Typically we talk about floor and ceiling and ignore that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Dotson is more technically sound to me. PIT has a great WR track record but let’s not ignore how many teams passed on Pickens the first time through. I’ll go on the record saying the same could be said about Metcalf so I could be wrong but he was a different caliber of player to me vs Pickens.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:32 am

Pickens for me.
I think Pickens would have been a top 3 rookie pick had he not torn his ACL, so I will take him on the discount.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:36 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:32 am Pickens for me.
I think Pickens would have been a top 3 rookie pick had he not torn his ACL, so I will take him on the discount.
I've been thinking this lately as well. The fact that he missed a lot of playing time in 20 and 21 yet still went 2nd round has to be a positive. I see his ceiling as a good bit higher than Dotson but i have them close in ranks

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:20 pm

I don’t know that I look at either of these guys as “safe”. Dotson struggled an awful lot with press coverage in what I saw of him. Athletically, he’s got great burst and decent speed, but he doesn’t create missed tackles. I think he’ll struggle as an outside receiver and probably starts the year behind McLaurin and Samuel on the depth chart. The slot might be good for him, so that may actually work to his favour.

Pickens has the obvious flags on his mental state and the injury, but I also don’t see a lot of making people miss out of him. He’s like a faster, less physical, Bryan Edwards. Is the extra speed enough to make him a viable receiver where Edwards has thus far failed? Maybe, but I also think he’s also third man on his depth chart behind Johnson and Claypool and I think he may face a challenge from that Austin kid they drafted in the fourth. I think part of the Steelers success at the receiver position is based on volume. They also drafted Markus Wheaton, Sammie Coates, Martavis Bryant & James Washington alongside their successes. If he’s behind Johnson and Claypool, both of which play outside, does that push Pickens to the slot? Does he seem like a fit for that role? Not sure.. I think he may find himself 4th on the depth chart to start. Finally, I don’t think Pickett is the right quarterback to really take advantage of Pickens’ skill set.

I probably go Dotson, because I think he has the skillset to potentially be a top tier slot guy while I think Pickens will need injuries ahead of him to shine and I don’t think he really has the right QB even if he gets that opportunity.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:29 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:20 pm I don’t know that I look at either of these guys as “safe”. Dotson struggled an awful lot with press coverage in what I saw of him. Athletically, he’s got great burst and decent speed, but he doesn’t create missed tackles. I think he’ll struggle as an outside receiver and probably starts the year behind McLaurin and Samuel on the depth chart. The slot might be good for him, so that may actually work to his favour.

Pickens has the obvious flags on his mental state and the injury, but I also don’t see a lot of making people miss out of him. He’s like a faster, less physical, Bryan Edwards. Is the extra speed enough to make him a viable receiver where Edwards has thus far failed? Maybe, but I also think he’s also third man on his depth chart behind Johnson and Claypool and I think he may face a challenge from that Austin kid they drafted in the fourth. I think part of the Steelers success at the receiver position is based on volume. They also drafted Markus Wheaton, Sammie Coates, Martavis Bryant & James Washington alongside their successes. If he’s behind Johnson and Claypool, both of which play outside, does that push Pickens to the slot? Does he seem like a fit for that role? Not sure.. I think he may find himself 4th on the depth chart to start. Finally, I don’t think Pickett is the right quarterback to really take advantage of Pickens’ skill set.

I probably go Dotson, because I think he has the skillset to potentially be a top tier slot guy while I think Pickens will need injuries ahead of him to shine and I don’t think he really has the right QB even if he gets that opportunity.
I agree that neither are truly safe. That label gets thrown at a lot of smaller guys who are good route runners. Typically the guys with WR2 ceilings.

What are the Pickens character concerns?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:52 pm

had several immature moments early in his career: ejected from a game as a freshman for trading punches with a Georgia Tech defender, and was suspended for a half the following game (November 2019); was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for spraying water on a Tennessee player on the sideline (October 2020)
- From the Athletic’s Dane Brugler

Nothing huge, but questionable maturity.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker