Why the hate on JuJu?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Why the hate on JuJu?

Postby stpilots98 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:11 pm

Even though Juju is in a good situation there seems to be a bad taste in everyone’s mouth and I’m not sure why. His last full season he had 97-831-9 with a QB who didn’t throw anything downfield and hung everything in the air beyond 20 yards. The eye test before his injury told me it was more bad QB play than a declining WR. Diontae Johnson who we all are enamored with, averaged only 10.9/catch in his career. I’m not debating who is the better talent, but the hate on Juju baffles me a bit.
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

QB - Fields, Howell, Levis, Rodgers
RB - Montgomery, Dillon, Achane, Ford, Foreman Spears, De. Johnson, Ch. Brown
WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex, SF

QB - Hurts, Fields, Howell, Bridgewater, Wentz, Hoyer
RB - Barkley, Mixon, Dillon, Spears, Foreman, CEH, Murray, Strong
WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond
TE - Musgrave, I. Smith, Henry, Washington

2nd

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex, SF

QB - Carr, Garoppolo, Levis, Trubisky, Darnold, Trask, Wentz, Walker
RB - Robinson, Achane, R. Jones, CEH, Kelley, Mitchell, Mason
WR - Adams, Higgins, Wilson, DJM, Brown, Cooks, Boyd, MVS, R. Moore, Boutte
TE - Kinkaid, Knox, Conklin

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Why the hate on JuJu?

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:15 pm

I just don't see it with JuJu. The only time he was a really solid fantasy asset, he had the best WR in the league (at the time) on the other side of him. He has never been able to be the main guy on a team. He has a solid opportunity in front of him in KC but my thinking with JuJu is I would much rather sell high based on the hype and excitement versus gamble and hold thinking we will be a top 15 just because he plays with Mahomes. For me it's all about the return right now. If someone is offering a random 2nd, I could see holding but I still think a 1st in 2023 will be more valuable this time next year than JuJu.

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 pm

A 2023 1st would be hard to pass up, but I’m not taking anything less. I think you can pencil him in for a #2 if he plays all 16. Did it with Ben, don’t see why he couldn’t with Pat.

WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond

2nd

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:58 am

I like Juju but he's in an awkward place for me. In Dynasty, I target WRs with WR1 potential. I'm not content to have one WR1 and four WR2-3 type guys. IMO, Juju is a solid low-end WR2.

I love those guys in redraft because I can get five of them cheap, scout so that I know one or two will exceed expectations for that particular season, and focus my draft capital on other areas. In Dynasty, I stock my WR bench with guys who are or can become WR1 and remain on that level. I don't think Juju can be a fantasy WR1.

I don't think he's bad - I think he's very good. Just not that good. For the right team, I think Juju is a great player to own. If the team's build is strong enough at other positions, I think Juju can be good for a team. However, if a fantasy team needs its WRs to be the power that carries the load, I don't want Juju to be my 2nd or 3rd option, and it would be suicide to depend on Juju as a WR1.

If I had Juju, I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade him away. However, on teams where I don't have Juju, he's not a player I feel I have to acquire. Again, in redraft leagues, I'll be more than happy to pick him up if he's around when I consider him a value acquisition.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:34 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:58 am I like Juju but he's in an awkward place for me. In Dynasty, I target WRs with WR1 potential. I'm not content to have one WR1 and four WR2-3 type guys. IMO, Juju is a solid low-end WR2.

I love those guys in redraft because I can get five of them cheap, scout so that I know one or two will exceed expectations for that particular season, and focus my draft capital on other areas. In Dynasty, I stock my WR bench with guys who are or can become WR1 and remain on that level. I don't think Juju can be a fantasy WR1.

I don't think he's bad - I think he's very good. Just not that good. For the right team, I think Juju is a great player to own. If the team's build is strong enough at other positions, I think Juju can be good for a team. However, if a fantasy team needs its WRs to be the power that carries the load, I don't want Juju to be my 2nd or 3rd option, and it would be suicide to depend on Juju as a WR1.

If I had Juju, I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade him away. However, on teams where I don't have Juju, he's not a player I feel I have to acquire. Again, in redraft leagues, I'll be more than happy to pick him up if he's around when I consider him a value acquisition.
Great analysis and I totally agree, he’s not a 1. If I’m building a team, I want upside #1 potential as you stated above. His ceiling isn’t there, but he’s floor is very high. He’s very devalued if you believe his numbers with Ben the last two years is indicative of his ceiling. If someone catches 80-90 balls, then I want him all day in PPR.

TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

2nd

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:47 am

I just think it's the inconsistency. JuJu has had two WR2 finishes, one WR1 finish, one WR6 finish, and one WR13 finish.
People tend to prefer reliable production, and when you have a WR who can finish as WR16 or WR133, it's hard to really like them.
They are simply a dart throw, and most folks want something that the can rely on more.