Miles Sanders VERSUS Rookie RBs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

How will Miles Sanders do in 2022?

Miles will have a T15RB season - hold him at all costs
5%
Miles will land in the RB16-RB24 range and be useful to some teams
55%
Miles will not lead for Philly, will land outside T30 RBs, and disappoint fantasy managers
20%
I would not have Miles on my team under any circumstances. He'll be a roster clogger
20%

Total votes: 20

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Miles Sanders VERSUS Rookie RBs

Postby Anteaters » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:13 am

I have to make a keeper designation on Miles by Sunday evening. Without bogging down iinto too many details, I may end up in position to draft one of the top 2 rookie RBs (or the first rookie WR off the board.) With Henry's decline not far off, I'd love to add Hall/Walker or maybe even Spiller to my roster to keep me rolling for a few more years. If RBs go 1-2-3, I'll take the top WR at 4th and be happy about it.

However, there is a chance my pick slides up to 3rd. Also a very unlikely chance I slide up to 2nd overall. I will not know this until after everyone has designated their keepers and it will be too late to change my mind at that time. Moving up to 2 is not likely because two owners would have to choose to hold an aging and/or declining player. But, if I get in position to get one of the top 2 RB, I think I want that instead of any WR. I'm certain I'll be able to choose the 5th-8th best rookie WR later anyway and will be targeting Pickens in this scenario.

The dilemma: The only way I can acquire a RB is if I drop one before I know who will be available, and the only feasible option is Miles Sanders. If I knew Miles was going to be a T15RB in 2022, I'd be satisfied to draft a WR, hold Sanders and ride out the next three-four seasons with him as the lead RB in Philly. If I knew Miles was going to fall outside the T25RBs I would be happy to cut him and acquire a new fifth RB for my roster in the Rookie/FA draft.

Assume I cannot trade Miles and the only options are keep him and be unable to draft a rookie RB, or drop him and have an outside shot at one of the top two rookie RBs. I just can't find any solid information or information-based opinions on what his role/production will likely be on Philly for 2022. Help!
Last edited by Anteaters on Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Miles Sanders VERSUS Rookie RBs

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:25 am

Hard to say what his workload will be but I think he is what he is at this point. Always supposed to be better than he is and the back that could make a jump. I would happily take a shot on any if the top rookie backs over Sanders. He is just not that great. Howard and Scott kept him off the field when healthy...

I voted for not having him on your roster and would not look back.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:33 am

Gator Sens wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:25 am Hard to say what his workload will be but I think he is what he is at this point. Always supposed to be better than he is and the back that could make a jump. I would happily take a shot on any if the top rookie backs over Sanders. He is just not that great. Howard and Scott kept him off the field when healthy...

That's how I'm leaning too. Even if I can't get one of the top three rookie RBs, I don't really need one of those rookies (or Miles) to be a big contender in 2022.

I'm just worried I'll cut him, end up with Garrett Wilson, and Miles explodes for a T12RB season. :wall:
But I'm more worried I'll keep Miles, end up with the 2nd overall pick, and Hall will be staring at me saying "why didn't you make sure you could draft me if I was available?" :wall: :wall:

BTW, as it stands at this very moment, I would have the 2nd overall pick. Two of the three teams ahead of me still have aging/declining players designated as keepers. I'm sure at least one (and probably both) will change that ... but who knows.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:15 am

Anteaters wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:33 am
Gator Sens wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:25 am Hard to say what his workload will be but I think he is what he is at this point. Always supposed to be better than he is and the back that could make a jump. I would happily take a shot on any if the top rookie backs over Sanders. He is just not that great. Howard and Scott kept him off the field when healthy...

That's how I'm leaning too. Even if I can't get one of the top three rookie RBs, I don't really need one of those rookies (or Miles) to be a big contender in 2022.

I'm just worried I'll cut him, end up with Garrett Wilson, and Miles explodes for a T12RB season. :wall:
But I'm more worried I'll keep Miles, end up with the 2nd overall pick, and Hall will be staring at me saying "why didn't you make sure you could draft me if I was available?" :wall: :wall:

BTW, as it stands at this very moment, I would have the 2nd overall pick. Two of the three teams ahead of me still have aging/declining players designated as keepers. I'm sure at least one (and probably both) will change that ... but who knows.
I hear you but I think it's very unlikely he explodes. He is what he is at this point and Hurts runs a lot too. Having the 2nd overall is great and I would feel very confident with that pick over Sanders.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:24 am

Gator Sens wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:15 amI hear you but I think it's very unlikely he explodes. He is what he is at this point and Hurts runs a lot too. Having the 2nd overall is great and I would feel very confident with that pick over Sanders.
To clarify: I will have the 2nd overall (or 3rd or 4th, whereever it ends up) regardless of whether or not I keep/cut Sanders. The benefit to cutting Sanders is I free up a RB spot that I can use to draft a RB with that pick. If I don't cut Sanders, I'll be forced to take a WR even if Hall/Walker is available.

But yeah, you've helped me make up my mind on that matter, I think. No matter what, I have to cut Sanders not to give myself the opportunity to draft one of those RBs if they become available when I draft.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:14 am

I voted Sanders will land in the 16-24 range. However, I agree I’d drop him if keeping him means it’s against the rules to draft Hall or Walker even if they’re available.

I still think Sanders is quite talented though. He averaged 4.6 ypc as a rookie. And over 5 ypc the last two years. I don’t think he is doing that if he is bad. The problem with him for me is that it’s tough to trust he stays healthy, and he always seems to be out at the goal line (or Hurts takes it himself). Though maybe that regresses?

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:37 am

What are the chances of getting Sanders back onto your roster? Is there a later veteran draft? Or are they included with the rookies in the draft?
If you think you'd have a chance of getting Sanders back later if you want him, that would make this decision easier.

Good luck!
-oo-

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:10 am

frerichs5 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:14 amI still think Sanders is quite talented though. He averaged 4.6 ypc as a rookie. And over 5 ypc the last two years. I don’t think he is doing that if he is bad. The problem with him for me is that it’s tough to trust he stays healthy, and he always seems to be out at the goal line (or Hurts takes it himself). Though maybe that regresses?
I tend to agree Sanders could be a great option if his NFL team put him in a better situation to succeed. Or if he remained healthy maybe he would be a low-end RB1 (or high-end RB2) with the opportunity share he's had.

Like you said, with Miles "it's tough to trust"
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:24 am

meineymoe wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:37 am What are the chances of getting Sanders back onto your roster? Is there a later veteran draft? Or are they included with the rookies in the draft?
If you think you'd have a chance of getting Sanders back later if you want him, that would make this decision easier.
It's hard to say exactly because, you know how drafts can be unpredictable. BTW, it's a combo rookie+FA draft.

I would have a chance, but it might mean I take him sooner than I'd like. Also, if I draft a RB with my first pick as I hope to, I won't be allowed to add another RB (Miles) to my roster. Realistically, if I cut Miles he'll end up on someone else's team.

The only way he ends up on my roster is if all three top rookie RBs get drafted before my turn, and Miles is lingering around the 25th overall pick or so. Last year, FA RBs like Mike Davis and James Conner went around that time. IMO, Miles is better than how they were being ranked last offseason, so he'll go earlier than I would have a chance to get him.

I'm fortunate to have a deep group of RBs. Not necessarily the best two starters, but the best group of 5. One guy has Kamara/Cook/Mitchell but no one else worth mentioning. But because I have depth, I have to cut quality to add a potential young stud. At least half the teams in the league would make Miles their RB3 or flex starter, and he'll be drafted in the 15-25 range. Unfortunately, I can't get any of those guys to trade me the pick they would use to draft him.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:14 am

I removed Miles from my keeper list to free up a RB roster spot, just in case I was in position to get one of the top2 rookie RBs.

After the keeper designation deadline passed Sunday and other teams' keepers were locked in, my 4th overall pick is now the 2nd overall pick. :dance: I'm feeling pretty good about my chances now. Who knows, maybe the guy with the first pick wants someone besides Hall?
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser