Super Bowl Discussion

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Super Bowl Discussion

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:20 pm

There's no win for the officiating, honestly.

They shouldn't have called the hold on Kupp, but the only reason the Bengals had the lead was because of the no-call facemask by Higgins for a TD, which may have been a makeup call for the no-call on Ramsey holding Higgins earlier in the game.

So, each one should've been play on?

One thing you can always count on for every game is a fan finding one missed call that could've changed the outcome of the game. Was it weird to pick that play for the first real call of the night? Probably, but someone's complaining today either way.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:50 pm

I thought I had a pretty good one liner when the announcers said they had to pause the game because someone had run out onto the field, and I said: "Is it Vernon Hargreaves?". HOF'er Dick Butkus. Wow. Just wow. Thanks for this one.

https://twitter.com/thedickbutkus/statu ... 4838670336
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:12 pm

The more times I watch this, the better it is. Totally fakes out Bell. Absolutely perfect, in the biggest moment. Without looking at the other receiver, Bell is in the lane. This is just phenomenal on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOm_VPw09Gg

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:07 pm

mild wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:44 pm
ThunderTung wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:42 pm I actually though the officiating was really good all game. They let them play, as they should have, but then to just flip it on a dime and start calling every thing you see in the most crucial moment of the game really rubbed me wrong. Some call it a makeup call for the Higgins TD, but how many makeup calls do you get? and right at the end of the game?
To be fair, Kupp was getting freakin' deeeee-stroyed all game long by the Bengals db's. They were being beyond physical and borderline tackling him on every play, whether he had the ball or not. He never complained once, just got back up and kept doing his thing.

With the way they were playing him, it was only a matter of time that they were going to get called. I think there'll be some All-22 that will pretty plainly show this in the coming days.
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 pm ah well, you gotta take the good with the bad. henderson was held like crazy the play before and no flag. why don't you complain about that?

bengals have nothing to complain about. their offense did diddly for most of the game and was gifted a 75 yard td play by the refs.
Full agreement here. The Tee touchdown was as obvious a PI as you can get. You take that one off the board and Burrow finishes 21/32 for 190 yards and no TD's. In a Superbowl? That ain't it.

And the Bengals play-calling and personnel was absolutely atrocious and nearly as mind-numbing as the Rams... but at least McVay knew to give his best player the ball on 4th-and-1...

How the hell are you going to let Samaje Perine decide your season in a "gotta have it" situation... that's moronic, Mr. Taylor!
You may be correct, but that doesnt really matter to me tbh, the refs set a tone throughout the whole game that you can be physical with the WR's, which is fine. I just dont like that they changed their tone right at the end.

also if that OPI was called, and the TD taken away, Whos to say they dont go down and score anyway? I mean it was 1st down.

It was a good game all around, probably one of the most balanced Superbowl's I can remember in recent memory. I don't have a dog in this fight, i just hate that the officiating got there hands all over it right at the end
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:46 am

Would just like to share this. Rams clearly false start on the play where the Bengals get penalized for the Defensive hold. Both Tackles.

I thought I was seeing things when I watched the game, so didn't mention it. Decided to look for it, see if someone else had mentioned it, and sure enough....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmF4owpQo1I

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:26 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:46 am Would just like to share this. Rams clearly false start on the play where the Bengals get penalized for the Defensive hold. Both Tackles.

I thought I was seeing things when I watched the game, so didn't mention it. Decided to look for it, see if someone else had mentioned it, and sure enough....

I, or anyone I was watching the game with, didn't notice that either. I was surprised when I saw it on Twitter the next day.

Overall it was a good officiating game IMO. The refs didn't win or lose it for either team.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:12 pm The more times I watch this, the better it is. Totally fakes out Bell. Absolutely perfect, in the biggest moment. Without looking at the other receiver, Bell is in the lane. This is just phenomenal on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOm_VPw09Gg
That is awesome

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:34 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:26 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:46 am Would just like to share this. Rams clearly false start on the play where the Bengals get penalized for the Defensive hold. Both Tackles.

I, or anyone I was watching the game with, didn't notice that either. I was surprised when I saw it on Twitter the next day.

Overall it was a good officiating game IMO. The refs didn't win or lose it for either team.
Mm I thought there were several bad calls/non calls. Just felt even for each team rather than lopsided, so I’m not overly mad.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:06 am

Officiating is often opinion. The real issue is consistency. If they allow a level of contact or holding for 3 quarters then that should be maintained in the 4th. There will always be piles of missed calls when people check tape. All in all the game was called fine but admittedly they got more ticky tack in the end. On the flip side had the Kupp play not been a PI call and the Bengals won we'd be seeing replays of the no call all summer regardless of it being a no call the whole game on both teams prior to that instant.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:04 am

I saw that as it happened as well. That said, it happens a couple dozen times a game on both sides of the ball. It's a timing thing that comes down to fractions of a second. Its similar to balls and strikes in baseball. As long as their are humans involved, it wont be perfect.

Too many penalties, fans get mad. Not enough penalties, fans get mad. Tough call for the NFL. I know the games with 20+ penalties early on in the season when they "set the tone" on areas of focus are unwatchable for me personally.