Team Assessment - Advice ? (Hop, Saquon, etc.)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Team Assessment - Advice ? (Hop, Saquon, etc.)

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:18 am

Team in sig. below. I feel I am at a weird spot, and being relatively new to dynasty I am trying to formulate a gameplan for my team. Part of me would like to get a bit younger, but part of me feels like I am primed to make another run or two. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I am just seeking feedback about what YOU would do in my shoes?

My two biggest weaknesses in my eyes are:

-I have several of my biggest names, particularly at RB, nearing the "age apex"
-I don't feel I have a ton of stable WR depth

Open to other critiques as well as possible strategies/approaches to improve.

Two examples of deals I've been offered and am entertaining include:

-Hop for Bateman/pick 11
-Saquon has garnered much interest from several owners (Chubb the main piece in one deal I was proposed, 1.03 in another)
*(others as well, but these are two examples of the types of things I am wondering about)

Curious for feedback - either in-depth or cursory are both valuable to me. I am only two years into dynasty and I want to remain competitive obviously (don't we all?!) BUT I don't want the bottom to fall out and end up having trouble competing for several years.

Thanks!
LOS DESPERADOS

2020 startup / 2020 & 2023 champion

10 team | half-PPR | 1QB | 6-pt pass TD

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB: Lamar, Purdy, Tua, Stafford
RB: Saquon, Jacobs, Kamara, Ekeler, Kendre, Keaton Mitchell, Tank Bigsby, Miles Sanders
WR: Tyreek, Puka, D.J. Moore, Aiyuk, Rome, Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman, Jayden Reed, Jeudy, Trey Palmer, Odell
TE: Hockenson, Njoku, Everett

Taxi: Xavier Hutchinson

2025 picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Team Assessment - Advice ? (Hop, Saquon, etc.)

Postby abloom » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:37 am

Sure let's take a look at your team.

LOS DESPERADOS

2020 startup / 2020 champion

Looks fairly standard. 10 team leagues really stresses having studs. The wr/te flex is interesting in that it makes me more willing to go after another TE stud during startups since I can easily start here and deprive another team. As it's after initial startup I'd rather go wr here and instead focus on rbs in a 0.5 PPR when competing since you can start up to 4.

QB: Stafford, Tannehill, Tua, Lance, Trubisky
Wayyy too many QBs here. It looks like you have very deep rosters but trubisky isn't gonna do anything for you and you really only need 1-2 QBs. Of course if the QBs are the best players available they are the best available, but it's doubtful they will ever hold significant value.

RB: Kamara, Saquon, Zeke, Henderson, Miles, Pollard, Mark Ingram, Gainwell, Latavius, David Johnson, Jordan Howard, DeeJay Dallas
With kamara, saquon, and Zeke your team is a win now team. Unless you trade them all away you're good JT to be a win now team.

WR: Tyreek, Hopkins, Amari, Cordarrelle, Jeudy, A. Robinson, Van Jefferson, Mims, Sammy Watkins, Cephus, Hamler, Lynn Bowden
Yup definitely an aging team here. Tyreek, nuk, and amari are solid but their upsides are staring to decrease. I expect Robinson to rebound in a new home and Jeudy can hopefully get a better QB or situation.

TE: Goedert, Ertz, Everett, Njoku, OJ Howard, Jarwin
Was really hoping to see one of the elite TEs here. I like goeddert but concerned about their QB situation long term.

Taxi: Dyami, Tylan, Brevin
Meh. I like brevin.

2022 picks: 2.05, 2.08, 2.10, 3.07, 5.10
Ooph. You need to stop moving your future picks. You need a youth infusion.

Overall;
I think you can cobble together a competitive team. I'm not sure you can be a championship contender unless you're avoid injuries. I think you probably have 1 more run in this team not 2. This is a team I don't want to go halfway. Either use your 2022 2nds to upgrade or get some wr depth or tear everything down. I don't want to move 2023 picks for players in 2022 unless they are young high upside players.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:42 am

This team is in a very strange spot for me as well. All three of your top RB's are in a bad place for value and possible production. Zeke looked bad toward the end of the year and I expect him to really slow down in 2022. Kamara now with the arrest and uncertainty in New Orleans is in a tough spot and Barkley is one of the toughest assets to manage currently in dynasty. The same can be said for your WR core based on age vs value.

I would have started to retool a bit last year with this group. I think now you are in an impossible spot where you almost have to hold and hope for the best. I would still shop: Tannehill, Tua and Lance (I would rather hold here though), Barkley, Kamara, Zeke, Hopkins, Hill, Ertz and Patterson (must sell for me) and hope you can find solid value but I think it will be tough. So much uncertainty with this group. Again, I think you are going to have to hold and hope based on where the market currently is with these assets. It never hurts to shop and hopefully there are more options as the offseason goes. The silver lining however if you have to hold, is if this group hits and stays healthy you could make a run at a title. I would hold all your picks moving forward also. Good luck with whichever direction you go!

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:15 am

abloom wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:37 am Sure let's take a look at your team.
Thank you for this in-depth breakdown! Wasn't even expecting this level of feedback, but this was incredibly helpful and beneficial for me. I appreciate the time that you put into this. Thanks for the specific feedback.

Yeah, Trubisky is just a hold and see until cuts at the rookie draft. We add a few spots in the offseason then have cuts in August (and also obviously cuts happen after the rookie draft as well to make room). I wasn't willing to spend too much FAAB on anyone when rosters opened more (+5 spots in offseason) knowing it's probably an eventual cut anyway for the Josiah Deguera/Randall Cobb types that were being added at that time. So I agree he isn't anything. Maybe on the .1% chance he signs somewhere as a starter I can flip him for a late future pick or something. We'll see.

Otherwise, appreciate the honest analysis. I agree I can't go halfway and have begun exploring the market on a few of the older guys you mentioned. This honest feedback is helpful for me to make decisions moving forward. Thanks again!!
LOS DESPERADOS

RB: Saquon, Jacobs, Kamara, Ekeler, Kendre, Keaton Mitchell, Tank Bigsby, Miles Sanders
WR: Tyreek, Puka, D.J. Moore, Aiyuk, Rome, Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman, Jayden Reed, Jeudy, Trey Palmer, Odell

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 am

Gator Sens wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:42 am Good luck with whichever direction you go!
I appreciate the time that you put in, as well. "A strange spot" is a very good way to put it. Honestly, I didn't mention this but I had won our initial year and made some "win-now" moves last year in attempts to win the Empire Pot (back-to-back titles). I knew there was this risk, but went all in for the repeat, and now I'm standing here assessing the best direction to move (hold, retool, rebuild, etc.). I agree with both of you that getting caught in the middle won't help me. I am exploring the market now and seeing if the value is there to retool in a meaningful way, or if it's not I may have better luck moving a few of these vets closer to or even in-season when the demand for production is greater. I just don't want to force anything out of desperation, obviously. Thanks for taking the time to provide meaningful feedback!
LOS DESPERADOS

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:31 am

d3sp3rad0 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 am
Gator Sens wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:42 am Good luck with whichever direction you go!
I appreciate the time that you put in, as well. "A strange spot" is a very good way to put it. Honestly, I didn't mention this but I had won our initial year and made some "win-now" moves last year in attempts to win the Empire Pot (back-to-back titles). I knew there was this risk, but went all in for the repeat, and now I'm standing here assessing the best direction to move (hold, retool, rebuild, etc.). I agree with both of you that getting caught in the middle won't help me. I am exploring the market now and seeing if the value is there to retool in a meaningful way, or if it's not I may have better luck moving a few of these vets closer to or even in-season when the demand for production is greater. I just don't want to force anything out of desperation, obviously. Thanks for taking the time to provide meaningful feedback!
Happy to try and help! I am in the same boat. I have/had a very strong team last year and made a couple win now moves, it did not pay off and I bounced out in the first round. Now I am looking to retool and moving some of the win now pieces from last year is not looking good at all with very few options. Hopefully options will open up in the coming months.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:23 pm

d3sp3rad0 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:15 am
abloom wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:37 am Sure let's take a look at your team.
Thank you for this in-depth breakdown! Wasn't even expecting this level of feedback, but this was incredibly helpful and beneficial for me. I appreciate the time that you put into this. Thanks for the specific feedback.
I really enjoy breaking down teams and I feel like it's really the only way to really address a team direction. I try to be thorough for anyone asking for help. Happy to provide my insights and hope they help :)

I do think you have a pretty interesting spot here and look forward to seeing how you end up approaching 2022 and beyond.
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:27 pm

Your team is full of guys at RB and WR that a lot of people are trying to sell but could still be very productive. If your in it to win it I think your in good shape you ought to shop some QBs and see if you can get some more flex’s. If you decide to sell some go all out and get kamara, Elliot, and Hopkins off your team
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:50 am

JOHNNY_COCKTAIL wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:27 pm If you decide to sell some go all out and get kamara, Elliot, and Hopkins off your team
Thanks for the feedback! I just traded Hop for Bateman/pick 11 this morning. Actively shopping Elliott now. I actually feel like Kamara may age well for an RB with his receiving skillset and with the suppressed market probably will hold him for now, but once his situation resolves and/or if I get a great offer, I would certainly consider it. However, to your point, I thought about holding tight for this year and running it back, but I am interested in retooling at minimum if not pulling off a mini-rebuild here this year.

Saquon has been generating some interest, as well. I love him and still believe but am listening to a few interested managers.
LOS DESPERADOS

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:51 am

Going to see if anyone has interest in my boy Cordarrelle, as well, but not anticipating there being much of a market right now unless/until he signs somewhere and his situation seems appealing.
LOS DESPERADOS

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:41 am

I appreciate all of the help on this thread a few months ago. Since then, here is the net overview of all the moves I was able to make to give my team a quick little offseason makeover (fully re-tooled squad updated in signature below):

Sold:
Hopkins, Zeke, Ertz, 2.05, 2.08, 2.10, 3.07, 5.10, my '23 3rd

Acquired:
Bateman, Chase Edmonds, Myles Gaskin, Albert O., Laviska, Boston Scott, 3.01 (Brian Robinson), two '23 1sts (one should be a playoff team, one should be top-3 [smirks in Bijan Robinson]), '23 3rd (should be early)

I still feel I have a top 3/4 team in our 10-teamer (hopefully I'm not over-estimating myself here?) and should be able to be competitive due to my depth - and I was able to I net a few '23 firsts along the way, as well. :-D
LOS DESPERADOS

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue May 31, 2022 10:05 am

d3sp3rad0 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:41 am I appreciate all of the help on this thread a few months ago. Since then, here is the net overview of all the moves I was able to make to give my team a quick little offseason makeover (fully re-tooled squad updated in signature below):

Sold:
Hopkins, Zeke, Ertz, 2.05, 2.08, 2.10, 3.07, 5.10, my '23 3rd

Acquired:
Bateman, Chase Edmonds, Myles Gaskin, Albert O., Laviska, Boston Scott, 3.01 (Brian Robinson), two '23 1sts (one should be a playoff team, one should be top-3 [smirks in Bijan Robinson]), '23 3rd (should be early)

I still feel I have a top 3/4 team in our 10-teamer (hopefully I'm not over-estimating myself here?) and should be able to be competitive due to my depth - and I was able to I net a few '23 firsts along the way, as well. :-D
Thanks for updating, always like seeing how a team progresses.

I'll be honest when I started to read what you received back in your trades I was thinking "uh oh, this guy just sold his pieces and broke them down into pieces that should still be sold or have all their value baked into potential". The. I saw you buried the real return of those 23 1sts. Love that you moved Zeke, Hopkins, ertz, and some 22 capital and got 2 1sts+. Bateman is definitely an interesting guy too.

I think you've a rebuild nicely. I would pounce on other options as they become available during the season.

Well done.
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Edgy68 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:36 pm

I think you should hold off your fire sale on RBs until in-season. You’ll be able to sell them for more when they are producing again.
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, B. Hall, D. Henry, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson, M. Sanders, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP
WR AJ Brown, J. Chase, C. Lamb, C. Ridley, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, B. Mayfield, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo
1.03, 2.03, 2.06, 3.05, 4.06