Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:43 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:40 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 pm
ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 pm

Yeah, the Calvin comp is too ambitious. But he's closer to Calvin than some of the 1st round TEs people reference when warning about rookie TEs. Pitts is more like a bigger Mike Evans who can't jump as high.
There's a big difference between 4.35 and 4.49 (pro day adjusted). He''s still a super athletic TE, but he's no Megatron.
Yep, that's generally what I was agreeing with (although the pro day adjustment is just a guess on your/ player profiler's part). Just adding that he's equally or more dissimilar to most other TE prospects that get referenced when people are saying most TEs disappoint for fantasy.
I was agreeing with both of you, if it wasn't clear. :thumbup:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:44 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:43 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:55 pm In no way is he an elite WR prospect in the TE slot. He's an elite TE prospect. He's simply not a guy that would be an elite WR on the outside. That's a disservice to actual elite WR prospects.
Why not? He has age adjusted production in the SEC combined with his athleticism that would make him a phenomenal wr prospect.
Because he's not an elite WR prospect. That was the claim, and he's not. He hasn't played out there nearly enough to make this claim. He's a Tight End, and was defended as such, playing that position. Hypotheticals about what he could have done at another position doesn't make him an elite prospect at a position he didn't play.

I agree with the Evans body size and speed comp. They don't play the same position, though. I think Evans and Pitts are different types of players, though I do think the size and speed are similar.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:37 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:44 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:55 pm In no way is he an elite WR prospect in the TE slot. He's an elite TE prospect. He's simply not a guy that would be an elite WR on the outside. That's a disservice to actual elite WR prospects.
Why not? He has age adjusted production in the SEC combined with his athleticism that would make him a phenomenal wr prospect.
Because he's not an elite WR prospect. That was the claim, and he's not. He hasn't played out there nearly enough to make this claim. He's a Tight End, and was defended as such, playing that position. Hypotheticals about what he could have done at another position doesn't make him an elite prospect at a position he didn't play.

I agree with the Evans body size and speed comp. They don't play the same position, though. I think Evans and Pitts are different types of players, though I do think the size and speed are similar.
This sounds awfully similar to the people who thought Gibson couldn’t be an RB last offseason. The reality is that what a player did in college or what position they played is nowhere near as important as what a player projects to be in the NFL. Players aren’t drafted for what they’ve done, they’re drafted for what they will be.

Pitts was drafted to replace Julio Jones as the Falcons alpha #1 pass catcher for the next decade, in my opinion. I don’t really care what position he played in college or what position media guides list him as. His athleticism, skillset, and draft capital all point to Pitts becoming one of the best pass catchers in the NFL, whether he’s lined up outside, in the slot, or inline while doing so doesn’t matter to me. He’s a generational receiving prospect on par with some of the best we’ve ever seen, the fact that fantasy sites list him as a TE is just the cherry on top and what pushes him to a prospect status we are unlikely to ever see again.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:37 pm

This sounds awfully similar to the people who thought Gibson couldn’t be an RB last offseason. The reality is that what a player did in college or what position they played is nowhere near as important as what a player projects to be in the NFL. Players aren’t drafted for what they’ve done, they’re drafted for what they will be.

Pitts was drafted to replace Julio Jones as the Falcons alpha #1 pass catcher for the next decade, in my opinion. I don’t really care what position he played in college or what position media guides list him as. His athleticism, skillset, and draft capital all point to Pitts becoming one of the best pass catchers in the NFL, whether he’s lined up outside, in the slot, or inline while doing so doesn’t matter to me. He’s a generational receiving prospect on par with some of the best we’ve ever seen, the fact that fantasy sites list him as a TE is just the cherry on top and what pushes him to a prospect status we are unlikely to ever see again.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I can't help but look at your team in signature and notice you definitely enjoy drinking the kool-aid. Havent seen that much hype in a lineup since lollapalooza in 92'

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:48 pm

It's not the same thing at all. He's not playing WR, and wasn't playing WR. I was debating leaving out the sentence you bolded, because of how it read. My point is, you can't call a guy an elite prospect at a position he didn't play. An Elite receiving TE prospect, no issues there. Maybe simply an argument over wording?

It's like saying Darren Waller is an elite WR. No different. He's not. Sure, he lines up outside occasionally, and out of the slot, but he's not a WR. If Pitts believed he was an elite WR himself, he and his agent should be clamouring for a position shift, because it's in his financial interest to do so for his next contract. I just don't agree that you can say he's an elite WR prospect having never played the position, as I said. Elite receiving TE prospect, completely agree.
Janiel Dones Truther

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:13 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I can't help but look at your team in signature and notice you definitely enjoy drinking the kool-aid. Havent seen that much hype in a lineup since lollapalooza in 92'
Now what's wrong with Jane's Addiction on their last tour, Ice T and Body Count, Violent Femmes, Butthole Surfers, Fishbone, and more? That was a pretty good day. :dance:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:02 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I can't help but look at your team in signature and notice you definitely enjoy drinking the kool-aid. Havent seen that much hype in a lineup since lollapalooza in 92'
Hype? Kool-aid? That’s a little insulting for a team that led the league in scoring the second half of the year and just barey lost the championship. :D

I don’t hype anything, just state my beliefs and stick to them. Pitts is a fantasy gamechanger, done it for 20 years and have never seen a non-RB prospect with as much potential. He’s a league breaker.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:50 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:02 pm
grandmabetty wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm

Hype? Kool-aid? That’s a little insulting for a team that led the league in scoring the second half of the year and just barey lost the championship. :D

I don’t hype anything, just state my beliefs and stick to them. Pitts is a fantasy gamechanger, done it for 20 years and have never seen a non-RB prospect with as much potential. He’s a league breaker.
He very well could be. Can't see him matching what Kelce has done recently, in terms of numbers, though. Kelce was in the perfect situation. 17 games now, but point per game basis, even with the extra game, actually, I find it hard to believe he will top that. Pitts certainly has potential, but it's just that at this point. I am interested to see what happens with the QB situation in ATL. Matty Ice isn't what he used to be, and I wonder what their replacement plan is. I know they wanted Lance, so you have to think they will be eying a QB in the draft next year. He may be playing with a rookie, sooner rather than later, which would cap his upside.
Janiel Dones Truther

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:35 pm

Pitts is an amazement no matter what you call him. He runs routes like a WR. Great Hands, Great Burst, Great Size, Huge Hands.

He may not be Calvin but you can bet he will create those type of mismatches.
One of the best prospects I have ever evaluated. He is a monster.

My take is it is nuts to pigeon hole him as a TE. He is a Hybrid Monster at just over 6'5" with a huge wingspan. Going to be a match-up nightmare defenses.

Under 4.5 in the 40 at his size is amazing and shouldn't even be a discussion point IMO.

The game is changing Darren Waller is probably the closest active comp and he ran 345 WR routes last season. 276 were from the slot. Kelce Ran 283 from the Slot. Pitts will run more WR routes I suspect.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:52 am

So 60 days ago I was the biggest Pitts supporter. Now I think his value is gone. I won't end up owning him because he will never get drafted over Chase by me.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:18 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:52 am So 60 days ago I was the biggest Pitts supporter. Now I think his value is gone. I won't end up owning him because he will never get drafted over Chase by me.
He went before Chase in all of my TE Premium leagues and after Chase in the others.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm a huge Pitts believer and drafted him wherever I could, but the hype is insane at this point. This is bigger than people paying more than 3 firsts to get the 1.01 whn barkley was available.

I just sold him in a competitive TE premium for Waller and Diggs.
The other owner - the defending champion who knows what he's doing - had approached me since draft day with various offers and I told him it would have to be a huge overpay. I turned down a few different variations before this one.

I bring it up also because once the trade went through I was told by more than one owner in that league that they believe I made a mistake making that deal. Unreal.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:49 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm I'm a huge Pitts believer and drafted him wherever I could, but the hype is insane at this point. This is bigger than people paying more than 3 firsts to get the 1.01 whn barkley was available.

The other owner - the defending champion who knows what he's doing - had approached me since draft day with various offers and I told him it would have to be a huge overpay. I turned down a few different variations before this one.

I bring it up also because once the trade went through I was told by more than one owner in that league that they believe I made a mistake making that deal. Unreal.
Wow, I would have made that trade too if i were you. That guy is nuts for giving up Diggs and Waller. WTG for taking full advantage of the hype. He will never be able to sell Pitts for that price going forward.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:17 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm I'm a huge Pitts believer and drafted him wherever I could, but the hype is insane at this point. This is bigger than people paying more than 3 firsts to get the 1.01 whn barkley was available.

Who sometimes knows what he's doing.

You destroyed this trade. Good for you. Your league mates who told you that was a bad move are in a cult at this point. :lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:17 pm

Who sometimes knows what he's doing.

You destroyed this trade. Good for you. Your league mates who told you that was a bad move are in a cult at this point. :lol:
I am one of the biggest fans of Pitts around but that was pretty easy. Waller and Diggs are fantastic players.

Waller does turn 29 in September and Diggs turns 28 in November but both should still have years of production left.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts