Attendance Problems in Cincinnati!

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Attendance Problems in Cincinnati!

Postby Shawn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Looks like only about 48,000 were in attendance in Cincinnati this week, a TV blackout for the local fans (possibly a good thing) but alarming considering this was only the 1st home game of the season. Can't blame the fans for being upset and disinterested in the team, but what do you think will happen at this point? Could the entire season be blacked out/not sold out? Will this force ownership to make some big changes, or perhaps become even cheaper??? I'm sure the fans would like a chance in ownership, but of course that is easier said than done, and you never know with the Mike Brown ownership group. :crazy:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Attendance Problems in Cincinnati!

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Bucs game was blacked out week 1, and also this week. Pretty pathetic there hasn't been a televised game on here in years. Not that I care, I am a fan of the other Bay :lol:
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 pm

I cant really on the blackout problematic.. but I´m just glad I got the NFl Game Pass so I can watch every game for sure anyway.. :D
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 pm

I would love to see Mike Brown forced to change his ways but not selling out seats isn't going to have much of an impact.

I saw an analysis a month or two ago that claimed that sellouts were way over-rated in the NFL. The difference in annual stadium generated revenue from the best (Dallas) to the worst (Oakland) was only $10 million dollars. Comparatively many NFL teams choose to be $20 million or more under the salary cap.

With the revenue sharing deals in place and the massive television rights that are split across all 32 teams, the way to make money as an NFL owner isn't by putting a great team together and packing the stadium every week, it's by not paying your players up to the salary cap and pinching pennies on coaching staff, training facilities, etc. Sad but true... :(

I dug up the link to article: http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/i ... aying-wins

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:02 am

drobes wrote:I would love to see Mike Brown forced to change his ways but not selling out seats isn't going to have much of an impact.

I saw an analysis a month or two ago that claimed that sellouts were way over-rated in the NFL. The difference in annual stadium generated revenue from the best (Dallas) to the worst (Oakland) was only $10 million dollars. Comparatively many NFL teams choose to be $20 million or more under the salary cap.

With the revenue sharing deals in place and the massive television rights that are split across all 32 teams, the way to make money as an NFL owner isn't by putting a great team together and packing the stadium every week, it's by not paying your players up to the salary cap and pinching pennies on coaching staff, training facilities, etc. Sad but true... :(

I dug up the link to article: http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/i ... aying-wins
One facet ignored by this article is revenue from merchandise and advertising. This is a HUGE moneymaker for clubs like Dallas and Pittsburgh but teams like the Bills or Bengals do not enjoy the same kind of profits. There was an article in Forbes from a couple seasons back which had the reported numbers of NFL franchises (without access directly to the books). The average profit for NFL teams was roughly $20 million across the board when subtracting their expenses from their gross income. Dallas was about $120 million (the only one over the $100m figure) and a few other clubs also saw large profits. At least 2 clubs showed losses. A number of clubs were in the $10-ish million range or lower. If every club spent up to the salary cap there would be a number of teams in the red. Pretty amazing for a league that has such massive revenue as a whole. From a game standpoint spending a little less may (or may not) make a team less competitive and we can point to any number of places where teams can probably make financial adjustments that would satisfy the casual observer. But always keep in mind that the owners are in this for profit. It's a business.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 am

I can remember when the Sporting News ran an article regarding the Bengals and their frugal ways...Not sure if it still is this way but I remember that they had no scouting department, their coaching staff did their scouting! I think this sums up the franchise as a whole....player behavior is an even bigger issue! The Queen City is a mess again!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 am

Mike Brown runs his team like a small town family business.... He needs to get with the program.....horribly ran franchise, :thumbdown: