Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Week 11 Discussion

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:00 am Just came out that:
- Garrett gets an indefinite suspension
- Pouncey gets 3 games

As of now, it looks like Rudolf won't be suspended

This could get ugly when they play each other again in 2 weeks (assuming Rudolf starts lol)
I actually think both sides will let cooler heads prevail. The Browns players seemed genuinely embarrassed by the incident. IMO, the sole bright spot was Mayfield, OBJ & Landry showed quite a bit of maturity in their post-game interviews which was a refreshing surprise.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:13 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:43 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 am
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 am

That doesn't really apply here though, as it's not like Garrett aimed the helmet in a way to hit Rudolph with the "soft" side.
it's not like my auntie decided to be born without a ballsack either, what's your point?
Point is Garrett tried to hurt another player with what counts as a weapon and was punished as such (and might be charged outside the game as well). Whether or not he actually caused a skull fracture or - as in this case - just a minor bruise is irrelevant, as the intent was the same.
exactly. no need to step into conjectures territory, facts are already damning enough.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I've only watched it once, but I guess I need to go watch it again. What I thought I saw was Garrett as the instigator by continuing to bear hug Rudolph for about three seconds after he was on the ground, which caused Rudolph to try to kick him and push and pull his helmet. My first thought is if that was Brady, Garrett would be suspended even before the helmet swing.

Martpe
Captain
Captain

Postby Martpe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 am

Can someone help me on this one? I recall last offseason (or last season) there was a dialogue in a thread about a commish who during games slotted in player from bench (replacing players in the actually line-up) after game kick-off. Anyone recall the name of this one? (Note: have an interest in reading the details as I experience something fishy in one of my leagues).
Team 1, 0.5 PPR SuperFlex: QB, FlexQB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex
QB: Watson, Herbert (Mariota)
RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Dobbins (Akers, K Herbert)
WR: DJ Moore, Woods, Golladay (T Patrick, Shenault, Rondale M, Cephus)
TE: Goedert (Njoku, Bryant, Trautman)
Pick 1.01

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 am

To me, every bit of this whole scenario is “wrong” from the start of Garrett holding down Rudolph on the field to waste time, to Rudolph kicking and grabbing Garrett’s facemask, to every second after up until the hit to the head, and retaliation by Pouncey.

That being said, 99% of that scenario we see probably on a weekly basis, to an extent. If you take out the helmet hit to Rudolph, nobody would really be making a stink over it. You could make the case that Pouncey was excessive by kicking Garrett’s PROTECTED head while he was on the ground, but I don’t think that would have happened if not for Garrett whacking Rudolph’s UNPROTECTED head.

Kick to the nuts - throw a flag and fine.
Rip a players helmet off - throw a flag and fine and maybe boot them for the rest of the game.
Throw some punches and/or kicks - flag/fine/boot them.

All of these infractions are wrong, and deserve consequences, but then you move on. No one is really shocked by any of those. But then you have a helmet-less player getting hit in the head by a swung helmet on national tv. Can’t just say that’s a small oops and let it go.

All players are at fault here and deserve some of the blame and some of the consequences. But what really set this scrum apart from any other weekly skirmish was the cheap shot to Rudolph’s unprotected head by a god damn helmet. You expect tempers to flare and to have a little pushing and shoving after the plays, even a fist or two swinging sometimes (normally at a facemask), but this is something that I don’t think players/fans/anyone would consider acceptable. This is clearly over the line and the NFL agreed by suspending Garrett indefinitely. They had to come down hard on him and make an example, and I personally think that he got what he deserved. I would have even thought that a permanent ban may have been on the table, although that would have been a tough pill to swallow.

The level that this fight escalated to is myles past the acceptable limit, and hopefully the punishments will disuade others from repeating.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 am

slaughterrt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 am I would have even thought that a permanent ban may have been on the table, although that would have been a tough pill to swallow.

I agree with everything you said, but this is where I am with the situation. It MAY still be on the table as he has to apply for reinstatement and no definite timeline was given.

I thought Albert Haynesworth should have been banned. There is simply no place for that bleep in a game. Zero. As I think about this situation more and more, I have come to the conclusion that the only reason I'm not there with Garrett is that he is such an elite player. That is not a good reason to take the stance I have. So, I guess I'm leaning towards my opinion is he should be banned. It won't happen though.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 am

Quite honestly, the Browns have been out of control for weeks now. The amount of penalties they’ve accumulated is insane. Kitchens was moved to OC by Gregg “Kill the head” Williams and it kinda makes you wonder. The NFL should probably consider looking into the coaching when you have a team this undisciplined.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:45 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 am Quite honestly, the Browns have been out of control for weeks now. The amount of penalties they’ve accumulated is insane. Kitchens was moved to OC by Gregg “Kill the head” Williams and it kinda makes you wonder. The NFL should probably consider looking into the coaching when you have a team this undisciplined.
Kitchens post game responses read like a complete and utter moron. It amazes me continually that a business that makes as much money as it does, coaches get paid as much as they do, and you have inarticulate bleep like that being spewed?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:54 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 am Quite honestly, the Browns have been out of control for weeks now. The amount of penalties they’ve accumulated is insane. Kitchens was moved to OC by Gregg “Kill the head” Williams and it kinda makes you wonder. The NFL should probably consider looking into the coaching when you have a team this undisciplined.
The NFL doesn’t need to look into coaches. That’s the owners job.

The Browns are undisciplined for sure and seem to have plenty of chemistry issues but no way the coaches are advocating what Garrett did.

Baker really stepped up with his comments after the game.

BTW it’s crazy talk if anyone really believes Rudolph deserved what he got.

He could and probably will get fined but he was the one that got his helmet ripped off and hit with it.

No place in this game for public assault with a weapon.

Garrett’s suspension for the rest of the year at least was an easy call. I would expect a few games next season as a reminder to the league there is no place for his actions.

He could have killed Rudolph with that action which ultimately is the reason the league is coming down on him so hard and they should.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:58 am

Browns have the worst ownership (except perhaps the Redskins) in the league and that incompetence trickles down into every other facet of the franchise. They might be able to catch lightning in a bottle and have a competent stretch of football for a couple years at some point, but so long as the Haslems own the team they will always be a poorly run franchise that rarely has a real chance at being competitive and underachieves during those brief windows.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:33 am

Lumps wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 am
slaughterrt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 am I would have even thought that a permanent ban may have been on the table, although that would have been a tough pill to swallow.

I agree with everything you said, but this is where I am with the situation. It MAY still be on the table as he has to apply for reinstatement and no definite timeline was given.

I thought Albert Haynesworth should have been banned. There is simply no place for that bleep in a game. Zero. As I think about this situation more and more, I have come to the conclusion that the only reason I'm not there with Garrett is that he is such an elite player. That is not a good reason to take the stance I have. So, I guess I'm leaning towards my opinion is he should be banned. It won't happen though.
Agreed. Garrett is an exciting player to watch and the NFL would be slightly less exciting without him...and I would hate to see him get permanently banned. But the punishment has to fit the crime, and this infraction is one of the most brutal attacks with very serious potential consequences to the victim.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:54 am
The NFL doesn’t need to look into coaches. That’s the owners job.

The Browns are undisciplined for sure and seem to have plenty of chemistry issues but no way the coaches are advocating what Garrett did.

Baker really stepped up with his comments after the game.

BTW it’s crazy talk if anyone really believes Rudolph deserved what he got.

He could and probably will get fined but he was the one that got his helmet ripped off and hit with it.

No place in this game for public assault with a weapon.

Garrett’s suspension for the rest of the year at least was an easy call. I would expect a few games next season as a reminder to the league there is no place for his actions.

He could have killed Rudolph with that action which ultimately is the reason the league is coming down on him so hard and they should.
Williams was offering bonuses to “kill the head” among other things. While a coach is never going to order a guy to bonk some guy over the head with his own helmet, when you move the line of acceptability towards brutality/win at all costs, it creates a situation where guys that push the limits end up doing nonsense like this.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 am

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:56 am

Kill the head, my fourth favorite coach quote of all time, behind Denny Green, Jim Mora (Sr.), and Mike Gundy.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am

Once again, good luck to all on this beautiful Sunday besides my opponents. Let’s play some football
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards