Rookie Roster Cuts

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ykr919
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Rookie Roster Cuts

Postby ykr919 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Is it worthwhile to roster players who are on practice squads in dynasty? i had quite few rookie flyers and come cut down day, many of them got waived, cleared waivers, and were signed to practice squads. I want to get a sense for how experience dynasty owners handle this. Is it an automatic drop or a hold.

Example: Emmanuel Hall, Alex Barnes

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Rookie Roster Cuts

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:45 pm

It really depends on how many teams are in the league and how many roster spots. If you are in a 12 team dynasty with say 25 roster spots, then there’s plenty of waiver guys who are on active NFL rosters that would have a better chance of panning out. If you are in a 16 teamer with 50+ roster spots, then it’s easier to justify holding on to a practice squad player.

Personally I wouldn’t hold a player on a practice squad unless I really liked the player, and then it would depend on the league size.

After checking my rosters, the only league that I currently have practice squad guys rostered is my 16 team salary cap contract league. And the only reason I haven’t cut them yet is because of the cap hit and the large rosters.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm

In eight years of playing dynasty format, committing bench space to practice-squad players has never paid off for me. Unless you're a very deep league (e.g. 16-teamer), it's probably better to just let practice-squaddies sit on your league's waiver-wire, and watch-list the ones that interest you.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:18 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm In eight years of playing dynasty format, committing bench space to practice-squad players has never paid off for me. Unless you're a very deep league (e.g. 16-teamer), it's probably better to just let practice-squaddies sit on your league's waiver-wire, and watch-list the ones that interest you.
Mostly this. Maybe your guy can catch some hype on a promotion and you can flip them for a late pick, but I usually cap it at one and really need a reason to want to hold the guy.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:27 am

Similar to above, I'd rather "waste" my taxi spot on someone who is currently on an active roster for the year. I feel like it's mainly driven by injuries so just keep tabs on that stuff. IE Woodhead gets hurt in 2017 and BAL promotes Alex Collins who you could have started that year and flipped him...or didn't and lost it all lol.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am

I'm really trying to think of a player that paid off hanging onto when they went taxi squad ... think maybe Peyton Barber was practice squad. (And I did hang onto to him, but eventually traded him for a 3rd round pick).

I know for the last 3 years or so, that I have been only interested in players that have made the 53 for the most part. I would just try to keep as few as possible (thinking 1), if you really like the player and the news you've heard.
@PlankMelody

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:42 am

Plank wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am I'm really trying to think of a player that paid off hanging onto when they went taxi squad ... think maybe Peyton Barber was practice squad. (And I did hang onto to him, but eventually traded him for a 3rd round pick).

I know for the last 3 years or so, that I have been only interested in players that have made the 53 for the most part. I would just try to keep as few as possible (thinking 1), if you really like the player and the news you've heard.
Adam Thielen. But yeah, those odds are laughable.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Barber spent one week on a practice-squad. He's been gameday active for the Bucs in 47 of 48 possible games since he was signed by them as a UDFA in '16.

I think Thielen did spend all of his rookie year ('13) on a practice-squad. But he didn't go from practice-squad to fantasy relevance in one step; he was gameday active for 32 games as a core special-teamer before he finally broke through in 2016.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Kurt Warner = greatest former practice squad player ever
Also I’m pretty fairly certain A. Foster and Danny Woodhead would be on the list, but may be mistaken.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:30 pm

The problem with practice squad players is that most of them require years of patience and that is IF they become productive. You are better off letting someone else use the roster spot, typically. Patience is not a virtue most fantasy owners have.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Last year I had David webb as my third qb while he was on the jets practice squad

Do I regret it?

Yes
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Plank wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am I'm really trying to think of a player that paid off hanging onto when they went taxi squad ... think maybe Peyton Barber was practice squad. (And I did hang onto to him, but eventually traded him for a 3rd round pick).

Wasn’t Victor Cruz a practice squad guy? Also, when you’re talking back of the roster in deeper leagues, the odds are always pretty long, no?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ykr919
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ykr919 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:38 am

I operating in a few 12 team, 25 man rosters but the biggest issue I am having is in the 16 man. There is literally no one worth picking up. I’d basically be clearing out taxi spots but I don’t think I can refill them at this point since the season started.