Where will Keenum go?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where will Keenum go?

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 pm

I don’t know why I care, but curious now where Keenum will end up once traded/released. He should have a little value in superflex and 2QB leagues, so depending on landing spot, there may be some potential. Maybe?

Slow time in the offseason I know.

Maybe Jacksonville takes a shot on him for a one or two year deal, while bringing along a rookie QB?

Where would his best landing spot be for 2019 production?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Where will Keenum go?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 pm

He might have to live in a van down by the river

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 pm He might have to live in a van down by the river
$25 million guaranteed does not buy much any more. :lol:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 pm I don’t know why I care, but curious now where Keenum will end up once traded/released. He should have a little value in superflex and 2QB leagues, so depending on landing spot, there may be some potential. Maybe?

Slow time in the offseason I know.

Maybe Jacksonville takes a shot on him for a one or two year deal, while bringing along a rookie QB?

Where would his best landing spot be for 2019 production?
I think Case Keenum is basically a younger version of Josh McCown / Ryan Fitzpatrick - a journeyman QB that has shown spurts of being a starter and a solid backup plan to have - but anyone paying or expecting him to be a long-term starter ... well we saw how that played out.

So best guess is he'll go to a team that has a QB1 that they are worried about health and be the backup with potential to start. Or perhaps a young QB who needs mentoring Best options at the moment:

Arizona
Cincinnati
Tennessee (if they see him as better than Gabbert)
Washington

or Scary thought ;) - Oakland

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Was thinking about how ironic it would be if Keenum ended up in Baltimore as Jackson’s backup.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 pm Was thinking about how ironic it would be if Keenum ended up in Baltimore as Jackson’s backup.
Thats a possibility I suppose - but you have to assume the Broncos at least inquired about the idea of swapping QBs - and thus that the Ravens likely turned them down. Maybe they'll pick him up if he is cheap enough but I think enough other teams in need of a good backup with starter potential will outbid.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm

I think he’ll be in Denver ... everyone is freaking out about the Flacco trade, but they only sent a 4th rounder to Baltimore. He is nothing more than camp competition for Keenum while the Broncos search for their long-term QB.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm I think he’ll be in Denver ... everyone is freaking out about the Flacco trade, but they only sent a 4th rounder to Baltimore. He is nothing more than camp competition for Keenum while the Broncos search for their long-term QB.
Flacco is probably going to start. Keenum is camp competition for Flacco, not the other way around. He's the better QB.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 am

I'm guessing he'll be a clipboard holder in '19. Keenum had a decent situation last year (Denver had a good O-line) with which he didn't perform better than replacement-level, and front-offices around the league have always been skeptical about his height and arm-talent. Even if he were to land on an open chart, whatever team that picks him up won't feel confident in him as a solution.

Flacco isn't inspiring, but he does complement Denver's anticipated run-first approach better than Keenum, as Flacco has a bigger arm to stretch defenses vertically.

I won't guess whether or not Denver actually cuts Keenum. They'd save a decent chunk of change if they do, but I don't think it's implausible they keep Keenum to compete with Flacco.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:59 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm I think he’ll be in Denver ... everyone is freaking out about the Flacco trade, but they only sent a 4th rounder to Baltimore. He is nothing more than camp competition for Keenum while the Broncos search for their long-term QB.
Flacco is probably going to start. Keenum is camp competition for Flacco, not the other way around. He's the better QB.
There's no way they keep both going into camp. Eye up the cap numbers, you'll see.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 am I'm guessing he'll be a clipboard holder in '19. Keenum had a decent situation last year (Denver had a good O-line) with which he didn't perform better than replacement-level, and front-offices around the league have always been skeptical about his height and arm-talent. Even if he were to land on an open chart, whatever team that picks him up won't feel confident in him as a solution.
Denvers WRs dropped more passes than any other team I believe. Pair that with a bad staff and some injuries and Keenum had no chance. Not saying he's a great QB, but I dont see any upgrade with bring in Flacco.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 am

4th rounder confirmed?

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:46 am

mild wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:59 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm
There's no way they keep both going into camp. Eye up the cap numbers, you'll see.
Yep. Without looking I would guess it would cost about 30 to 40 million to keep both. I think case should be around 19. Unless they can cut him cheaply they might actually be stuck. I wouldn’t take that contract unless a pick was attached, nba style

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:48 am

Round and round where will they land... It doesn't matter they're all trash! Only way you remotely care is if you're in SF leagues and even then I would hope you have better options

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:09 am

mild wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:59 am There's no way they keep both going into camp. Eye up the cap numbers, you'll see.
Note the cap has been increased for all teams this year. Everyone's been gifted extra space this offseason.
jomaed wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 am Denvers WRs dropped more passes than any other team I believe. Pair that with a bad staff and some injuries and Keenum had no chance.
No chance? Because of some drops, nebulous "bad staff" criticism and only a few injuries to other players?

Keenum had the 26th best QB grade according to PFF last year, and those grades only penalize a player for things he can control. He performed like a game-manager with below-average arm talent, because that's what he is and what he's always been in the NFL. He had his shot to prove otherwise last season, and failed. He had a good O-line and an even better running-game complementing his play-action, but he still couldn't manage better than 6.6 yards per attempt, and his completion percentage dropped back toward his career average after that evidently fluky '17 season.

Denver will cut Keenum if they can draft Lock. I think Elway traded for Flacco to hedge his bet, since it's not a guarantee they can get Lock without trading up.
I dont see any upgrade with bring in Flacco
ninotoreS wrote:Flacco isn't inspiring, but he does complement Denver's anticipated run-first approach better than Keenum, as Flacco has a bigger arm to stretch defenses vertically.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE