Best Resources For IDP Rankings

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Best Resources For IDP Rankings

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm

I just build my own. I have never found reliable IDP rankings.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 am

While I would be inclined to think that Lukky has the right method, specifically becasue IDP value changes so dramatically league to league, it isn't as realistic an option for a lot of us who don't aren'tquite as adept, specifically as we get into the later rounds of our drafts. We could use a little guidance along the way until we get a firm grasp on the subtle nuances of IDP, which can take a bit of time imo.
I don't pay the DLF subscription anymore becasue they aren't updated frequently enough. Unfortunately IDP is not a priority for DLF. I love the place and it's my go-to, but that is the sad truth. IDP rankings of any kind are elusive during the off season, which especially sucks becasue that's when a LOT of us are doing our start ups. If DLF was as diligent about IDP as they are offense, I would GLADLY pay for the service yearly.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am

I will try and post some heavy duty IDP rankings later this offseason. Maybe end of this month.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 am

That would be AWESOME on SO many levels, Also becasue then I wouldn't need to PM you anymore Lol. I've got another startup in March so I will be looking.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 am

I shall do my best!
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm

I agree that IDP ranks are a tough nut, as scoring plays such a large part of the equation, and scheme change uncertainty impacts both short and long-term projection. It isn't as straight forward as for offense, even if offensive philosophies and supporting cast can change. It simply is more volatile. I think the right approach is using your leagues history as a guide and making your own projection (based on what you read, not just from a simple list/ranking) where applicable (breakouts, letdowns, etc.) are the right way to go. Assessing positional value compared to other positions also isn't something you can simply get from a ranking, so you have to read the league market in that regard.

It is an inexact science IMO. The best thing to do is to read for insights and listen to those you trust for little pieces of information that otherwise may not be mainstream available (i.e. Lukky, DLF content behind the paid firewall, etc.).

Snap count is also a significantly noteworthy item, but again, can change year-to-year for many of the non-mainstay assets that everyone and their dog is familiar with.

And yes, Doug Green most certainly does not take his rankings seriously. Not being high on Deion Jones is fine, but #19? Darius Leonard still at #24 despite a December 31st update? In what world is Myles Garrett going to be a LB (#17 no less). I understand that personal opinion comes into play, and difference of opinion is good, but some of the details just don't jive and aren't being supported. Best to just remove them IMO (Doug's, not the others).

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Fireman Ed, you know you are on the top of my list of posters on this sight, but unfortunately, bad/subjective rankings hasn't been the only issue imo. These threads reflects the frustration I have with the not only the rankings, but with the quality of the non-article IDP content in general...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=162491&hilit=dlf+rankings

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=170120&hilit=podcast

The podcast thread touches on it but I expressed frustration regarding the quantity of shows during the season as well. There were hardly any and while they were thorough with performance updates, there was really VERY little beyond that as far as insite. (Sorry Sticky and Tom, it's nothing personal, I am just being honest). Maybe the DLF IDP production team would benefit from listening to The IDP Round Table on Football Guys, or The IDP Guys for content inspiration.

Like I said, I love the site and have used DLF almost elusively, but it doesn't support the claim that "Dynasty League Football is the industry leading source for Dynasty Fantasy Football news, and analysis" particularly when you are paying for content that is all but neglected. Rankings are something that should be updated REGULARLY in dynasty as there is no off season.

Is it too much to ask to do what is required to bring paid subscribers the IDP content they pay for and deserve?

Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Rant over.

-Booger McFarlland

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Appreciate the vote of support GG, though certainly wouldn't consider myself as a top rate source of IDP knowledge. I hope you can locate the additional sources of knowledge you're seeking for the benefit of your IDP teams! ;)

I should clarify that i certainly wasn't pushing for you or anyone to purchase or reconsider their DLF subscription purchase decision. I was simply referencing materials i've found value in that aren't available to the masses. While i subscribe to DLF and enjoy it, it certainly is a unique purchase decision for everyone (and as mentioned, the rankings can certainly be intermittent if that is a key piece of information you seek to reference). Individuals like Lukky are assets in and of themselves (and free!), likely even more valuable in the sense that he has established trust and respect that can't always be achieved by simply reading an ad hoc writers commentary from time to time.

If you find somewhere that you find valuable for additional IDP information feel free to send me a PM. I'm always looking for additional IDP material to digest.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 pm

And Vise Versa guys.

-Booger McFarlland

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:49 pm

I typically do my own rankings when I have the time. It is time intensive though. I usually go off of the most recent scoring in my leagues as a starting point and adjust the list based on my thoughts on the given player's future
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:44 am

I’ll tell you who I don’t take seriously as an IDP resource - IDP Guys. Every time I’ve listened to their podcast, trying to give it a chance for IDP content, end up laughing and shaking my head that they consider themselves the ‘IDP Guys’.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:04 pm

I felt the same way FME, but after listening a while, I find I can pull some nuggets from the podcast, and quite frankly, that's gold (no pun intended) with the lack of content out there. Plus they put out a show every week which is nice. It is ironic I suppose that IDP "Guys" would spend so much time on offense. I certainly take them with a grain of salt and would agree not to take them too seriously. Seems like a few frat guys in a garage with overpriced production equipment. But again, any puddle in a desert...

I generally look to The IDP Round Table, The IDP Guru, and DLF's written content (when I paid), and Pro Football Reference Snap Counts for the meat and potatoes. But as far as actual rankings? Besides the IDP Guru, which is redraft based, there is next to nothing.

-Booger McFarlland

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I agree with you guys above...DLF is seriously lacking in IDP and Devy for that matter. Their rankings are always way way behind. But I use them as a start point to take a look for myself. But I have though about not renewing my subscription because of this. The info they do a good job on you can get for free from a lot of other sites. You would think for them to be the best or out in front of the industry and not a same old mainstream...they would do a better job in IDP and Devy.

As far as IDP I read a lot of news and articles in the beginning and compile a list of guys I hear about. Then watch the Shrine game and Senior Bowl coverage to get a pre-look at some of the players. Then there is the combine. Mayock use to give some really great insight to players be he is no longer an option going to the Raiders. Once the combine is done I compile my first rankings. Again always reading may articles and opinions of players, my ranking is always fluid. Then finally the draft. These IDP players get talked about a lot during the draft even the mid to late round guys. And you get to see what teams they go to, because scheme and opportunities will dictate rankings in IDP also. I usually only have a few days between the NFL draft and my draft so I go back and look quick film on the guys I highlight from the past info and set my ranking and go at draft time. The key is to keep the rankings fluid and always changing as you obtain info.

Lastly the rankings Lukky does are very good and pretty spot on. So I will use this info at varying points in my rankings. He puts in a lot of work and it shows.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

lawilt
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lawilt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 pm

IDP Guro just doeesn't go deep enough through. I loved fake pigskin's idp section with Bee while he was there, I'm hoping he brings some of that content here.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 am I shall do my best!
There are people that I come across that I think, if they had the time & interest, that they should be fantasy football experts. I would gladly cheer to see you become known as an IDP guru. I doubt I could list on one hand a list of DLF forum posters who put so much time & effort into their rankings & player valuations that you do (imo).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..