Saquon Barkley - Dynasty Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Barkley the #1 Dynasty RB?

Postby Unicorn92 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:14 am

Titans95 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:32 am If this is had been a thread I apologize I didn't see it.

Call me crazy but is it time to consider Barkley already overtaking Gurley? Obviously both are absolute monsters so this is nitpicking but I'll go through some of my reasoning.

1. Age, I no it is minimal but Barkley will be 22 next season while Gurley will be 25, 3 year age difference for a RB is something to consider.

2. The difference after 11 games in ppr points per game is only 1 point edge to Gurley however Gurley is playing on an offense that is performing at the absolute peak whereas Barkley is producing on a dumpster fire team. I don't know if the Rams take a step back offensively if Gurley is affected or the WR's but someone will take a step back most likely in the future while it feels like the giants will continue to improve their O-line and potentially land the next big thing at Qb since they have such a high pick.

3. Both are 3 down backs but Barkley is currently on pace for 103 receptions....that is insane for a RB and seems like a much higher floor.

4. Both have top end speed but man it feels like Barkley is the only player on the field that can seriously take it to the house on any given play. Most of his long TD runs this season I think only Barkley himself would've been capable of pulling off.
Absolutely Saquon is the number 1 all positions included. A better offense will not make saquon better but a worst offense could make Gurley worst. We all see that in 2016 and the Giants offense is not really good actually
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:11 am

XclickX wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 pm I did a 12 team ppr start-up this year and it went :
1.01 Gurley
1.02 Barkley

I’m surprised he was falling to 5 in some of your start-ups. Definitely the dynasty RB1.
When was this? Was it before the season?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 am

The Rb landscape changes so unbelievably fast, I'm hesitant to put any rb as my #1 "dynasty" asset. I understand the reasons completely and I wouldn't fault anyone with that opinion. But, lets not forget how quickly things for many rb can change, Heck L.Bell was top 2-4 just 6-7 months ago. Not that his situation is remotely close to Barkleys. Just saying that landscapes change quickly for rb in general. Injuries, scheme changes, etc. Barkley certainly has that incredibly special talent combined with an offense that has to check down and has to feed him. His situation is great now and it works well for his production now and that, combined with his young age equates to great value but, with the amount of touches one has to weigh the risks in dynasty as well. With changes undoubtedly coming for the Giants, one has to wonder if the touches will continue like we've see so far. They could, or ... maybe things change a bit. I typically don't over value young productive rb as much as the next guy. The rb position is incredibly volatile. Just 2 seasons ago many were greatly concerned with Gurley and his production. His scheme, coach, and Qb changed and look what we see. Guys like Hunt, J.Conner, come out of no where. I agree though that Barkley and Gurley are in their own tier at the top of all other rb's and both are major impact players on any dynasty team they are restored. I just prefer to build my teams around blue chip wr talent as much as possible, and - if I ever get lucky enough to draft an impact rb like one of these guys - I'd be ecstatic. It is just rare. I did get a positive outcome by drafting & rostering Kamara and J.Conner in a few leagues and combining them with stacked wr corp. In one league I'm rolling with Conner, Kamara,Nuk,OBJ,Juju,Evans as my core.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Barkley Ranked #2

Postby thebeast » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 am

Since we have a new Barkley thread I thought this would be an interesting topic to revisit. I find the opinions fascinating and I think you can learn a lot from this thread about how to weigh some posters advice... Because he has never played a snap in the NFL yet is not a good argument for how a player should be valued.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am

No kidding wow. Love the crow some need to be eating right now.

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:29 am

thebeast wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 am Because he has never played a snap in the NFL yet is not a good argument for how a player should be valued.
As a general rule for rookies this still applies.
And then you have the freak talents as outliers.

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am

Barkley is on pace to score more fantasy points this year than Gurley in 2017 and DJ in 2016.

Current pace:
249/1205/12
103/846/6

He also accounts for 55% of the Giants TDS.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 am

So glad i didn't listen to the pundits who said avoid Barkley in a startup. No issues now taking him at 4 in 12 team half PPR super flex! !!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 pm

DJB wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 am So glad i didn't listen to the pundits who said avoid Barkley in a startup. No issues now taking him at 4 in 12 team half PPR super flex! !!
Wait a sec you were one of the ones on page 1 saying hss too high.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:18 pm

I have Barkley in the top 4 of rb's but in reality owners need to temper their enthusiasm a bit on his receptions.

The reason he is getting so many receptions is the Giants have a terrible line and this is not a winning formula. As the Giants improve Line play his receptions will drop as they will be able to move the ball down field. The other issue is he struggles against the better run defenses on the ground. He dances around quite a bit. This will get better going forward but long term I don't see him a clear lock as a #1 overall asset.

No doubt he was worthy of 1.1 last year in rookie drafts and is a legit 1st round start up talent in dynasty.

Lots of changes soon in NYG land and that could have a negative impact on his excellent production to date.

Like Gurley & Zeke's situations much better in the next few years personally but wouldn't blame anyone for taking Barkley 1.1 as he is a stud.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:26 pm

Just here to say I was wrong about how he would perform this year.
lol

It happens.

(still happy with what I got for 1.01 though)

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:26 pm Just here to say I was wrong about how he would perform this year.
lol

It happens.

(still happy with what I got for 1.01 though)
Same here. For what it's worth, I don't think anyone said he would be a bust. Some of us just didn't think he'd be this good this soon. Kudos for those of you who earned the 1.01 last year...a great time to be really bad and get rewarded with Barkley. Also, good for all the ones who traded for him and drafted him in startups. I still think some of the prices he was going for last year was just ridiculous and still wouldn't pay that for him...or anyone else.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Is there anyone not taking him #1 overall next year (non-2QB)?

badbuddah
Captain
Captain

Postby badbuddah » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 pm

I think you can't go wrong with him or Gurley 1 and 2. I'd take Barkley purely off age but it is practically even. The bigger question is who is third overall in startups? CMC? I have to wonder.
12 Team UNLIMITED Keeper / 23 Roster 1.0-PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF 2 IR - 11th Year

QB: L. Jackson, J. Browning
RB: Aaron Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, E. Mitchell, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alexander Mattison, K. Miller, P. Taylor
WR: R. Doubs, G. Pickens, Christian Kirk, Juju, D. Hopkins, D. Wicks, K. Boutte
TE: Z. Ertz, C. Okonkwo, Trey McBride, Tucker Kraft
K: T. Bass, J. Moody
DEF: San Francisco

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:13 pm

badbuddah wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 pm I think you can't go wrong with him or Gurley 1 and 2. I'd take Barkley purely off age but it is practically even. The bigger question is who is third overall in startups? CMC? I have to wonder.
I wouldn't say anyone is wrong for CMC at 3 (he's definitely the 3rd RB to be taken) but I could see WR going there at the same time