The Le'Veon Bell Tolls ... To the Ravens

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Le'Veon Bell

Postby Generic Username » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I can’t find article right now, maybe I was optimistically reading more into something else, but I could swear HOU has been tagged (haha) as a serious suitor with very favorable cap space

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm

The top 10 teams in terms of projected cap space are (in order from greatest to least): Colts, Jets, Bills, Browns, Raiders, Texans, Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks.

I don't know the contract situations of everyone on those respective teams, but I do know that Clowney is going to eat into that cap space if the Texans bring him back.

Of that group, I would remove the Browns and Cardinals for sure as they have Chubb and Johnson respectively. I think he will end up on one of the other 8 teams there. Whoever gives him the most. Honestly I think the Raiders are going to throw some big contract at him because, well...they are the Raiders.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Generic Username wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:55 pm I can’t find article right now, maybe I was optimistically reading more into something else, but I could swear HOU has been tagged (haha) as a serious suitor with very favorable cap space
Could be contingent on if Foreman can come back and light the world on fire to close out the season #Pray :pray:

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Servo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm
Generic Username wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:55 pm I can’t find article right now, maybe I was optimistically reading more into something else, but I could swear HOU has been tagged (haha) as a serious suitor with very favorable cap space
Could be contingent on if Foreman can come back and light the world on fire to close out the season #Pray :pray:
Amen
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am
dynastyninja wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 am He's just dodging the question. Not worth my time anymore.
How is saying "Give me this year's offense with Conner over last year's with Bell" dodging the question? I think that is about as plain as day. I just didn't give you the answer you were looking for.

Lev Bell had his 2nd worst yards per carry average last season and 2nd worst yards per reception average last season as well. Maybe he is slowing down some too? Usage was great, but that was his worst year in terms of yard/touch since his rookie season. Perhaps he knows it and is why he has held out all season to this point.
This is still dishonest given that the following things are different from last season:

-Smith-Schuster became an All-Pro WR.
-Their TE Position Upgraded
-Their offensive line is currently ranked #1 in PFF.
-Their offensive line has more adjusted line yards (4.43) than last year (4.36).
-Big Ben is having his best statistical season since 2015.

There's a number of different factors going on. It's not like this is the same exact team that remained stagnant and Conner has simply elevated everything.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:55 pm

"A look at the new and old bio identifier on Le'Veon Bell's Twitter account. He's now an "All Pro NFL Running Back" instead of "Running Back, Pittsburgh Steelers." "
This gets more interesting every day

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:59 pm

I think it's been that way for a while. The Dez and Earl Thomas stuff just adds fuel to the fire though. Not that Dez was holding out for a big contract, but just shows how your value can change overnight because of a fluke injury. It's a tricky situation.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 am He's just dodging the question. Not worth my time anymore.
How is saying "Give me this year's offense with Conner over last year's with Bell" dodging the question? I think that is about as plain as day. I just didn't give you the answer you were looking for.

Lev Bell had his 2nd worst yards per carry average last season and 2nd worst yards per reception average last season as well. Maybe he is slowing down some too? Usage was great, but that was his worst year in terms of yard/touch since his rookie season. Perhaps he knows it and is why he has held out all season to this point.
This is still dishonest given that the following things are different from last season:

-Their offensive line has more adjusted line yards (4.43) than last year (4.36).

There's a number of different factors going on. It's not like this is the same exact team that remained stagnant and Conner has simply elevated everything.
I was waiting for you to mention the offensive line and you bringing some numbers. One of the local reporters in Pitt mentioned that the offensive line "likes blocking for Conner because it's easier. Conner hits the hole harder which allows the lineman to actually hold their blocks less than with LeVeon and his probing in the backfield." You can't put up great numbers without a great offensive line. But the RB factors into that as well. I actually think Conner is a reason for the line grading out better due to his style compared to Lev Bell. Especially considering the above quote that came from one of the linemen.

Juju wasn't bad last year. He was a rookie and has improved, but don't act like he was hopeless out there. He was a big factor last year. But sure he has improved.

Now Big Ben has played great, but again, he is a sure fire hall of famer. Big Ben wasn't holding the offense or running game back last year. I surely hope you aren't trying to make that claim.

Cameron, we are at a stalemate. You have stated your stance from the very beginning of the season. You think Lev Bell is elite and you haven't budged. You think Bell would be outperforming Conner if he had played this year and that its not even up for debate. Which is fine. I just disagree with you and we will have to agree to disagree.

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 pm

This is a great debate, with no good way to get a concrete answer.

But what is more important right now is that this next week offers a huge value gain opportunity, if we can guess right on what is going to happen with Bell the rest of season.

Aka, who makes the huge value jump for their roster here starting next Sunday? Conner buyers this week? Or Conner sellers this week?

I personally think Bell doesn’t come back and Conner buyers this week get big value. And those scared of Bell’s return who sel Conner for too little get boned.
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Elroypedro wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 pm This is a great debate, with no good way to get a concrete answer.

But what is more important right now is that this next week offers a huge value gain opportunity, if we can guess right on what is going to happen with Bell the rest of season.

Aka, who makes the huge value jump for their roster here starting next Sunday? Conner buyers this week? Or Conner sellers this week?

I personally think Bell doesn’t come back and Conner buyers this week get big value. And those scared of Bell’s return who sel Conner for too little get boned.
I think the Conner's value has already increased to the level you're suggesting he'll hit next week. I'd venture to guess that most people see him as the long-term starter at this point.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Pro Bowl sure, but not all pro I would think.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:05 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:08 amThe issue is much more about the Lev Bell folks not having any response to why the offense is better this year in virtually every statistical category.
I'd attribute a significant part of that to the change at OC. Not that the new guy is necessarily great, but the old one (Haley) had his flaws. First was his horrible relationship with Big Ben, and his generally abrasive attitude. When he and Hue Jackson were fired in Cleveland this year, the owner specifically said he want to stop the drake and change the culture.

Secondly was Haley had some bad playcalling tendencies. I'm completely blanking on them right now, but I think he didn't allow Roethlisberger to audible in/out of plays? Think Haley had a bad track record on 3rd/4th and short in Pittsburgh, too.

Guy gets promoted to OC after last year, has long and productive relationship with Big Ben. The talk of their QB retiring goes away.

This talk of a Pittsburgh "system" seems odd given their OC change this year and the fortification and maturation of the oline over time. Ben Roethlisberger has been the one constant from DWill to Conner and I think taking the shackles off him is an underappreciated aspect of Conner's performances.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 pm

I think it's absolutely fair to wonder if Bell really is as good as made out. We talk about his patience but we would call it hesitation if he did it behind alot of other olines, it will be interesting next year if he can still put together a top 5 RB season.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 am

AussieMate wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 pm I think it's absolutely fair to wonder if Bell really is as good as made out. We talk about his patience but we would call it hesitation if he did it behind alot of other olines, it will be interesting next year if he can still put together a top 5 RB season.
Are Ezekiel Elliott and Todd Gurley not be as good as we think? They've both run behind some elite offensive lines.

You definitely can't run with that quick hesitation style if you're getting hit in the backfield all the time. Offensive line always matters. Aside from maybe Barry Sanders, there's no RB who consistently outperformed the guys upfront. But, there are clear traits that separate the elite RB's from the ones who are benefitting from scheme and talent up front. It's why we knew Todd Gurley was really good despite him putting up middling numbers before Sean McVay arrived and the offensive line improved.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 am

Bell does so many special things when you WATCH him play - average players can put up nice box scores in great situations.

I think it is incredibly naive to suggest that the Pittsburgh offense is better statistically solely because of Conner.

Box score chasers is how you get stuck with one year wonders.

That said - I think the Steelers are smart for not paying Bell that kind of money. I also think the Rams and Cards will regret coughing up that money for their backs.