Saquon Barkley - Dynasty Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Barkley Ranked #2

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

CK_ wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 am This dude is not as good as people want him to be. He is a solid freakin prospect by any sense of the word, but in no world should be be akin to a Ladanian Tomlinson or a Marshall Faulk as people want to put him in. The valuation that he is being placed in makes no sense with the value he should receive. Take your rose colored glasses off and sell him for the value he should be received. If I could sell for a early first + Zeke/Dj/Gurley/bell. Then damn well you should take it.
But, in what leagues is anyone offering a proven elite RB and an early first for Barkley? I think everyone would do that deal, but it's not in the market.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 am

Goddard wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am
meineymoe wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 am I still think the best solution is to have a separate rookie draft when you do a startup league draft. It's what I've done in the past, and you don't have to try to figure out where the rookies belong.
And if you do it right, you won't have to be doing startup drafts that often! And this whole recency, "where the hot rookie is ranked" issue is moot.

-oo-
But wouldn't you just be drafting the rookie picks instead of the players? Ends up being very similar since the 1.01 will probably go wherever Barkley is going. Unless you have some other form of assigning rookie picks after the startup, which I probably wouldn't be a fan of anyway, because there's really no fair way of doing that without someone being rewarded for no real reason.
We came up with a formula - my last startup was in 2008, so I can't recall what it was off hand - but the rookie draft had a different order from the offensive draft had a different order from the IDP draft (since we had people new to IDP and dynasty, we also had a separate draft for the defensive players). So we had a ten round veteran Offensive player draft, ten round veteran Defensive player draft, and a ten round draft that was Rookie Only the first four rounds, then rookie/FA.

For my franchise that draft, I had pick 1.12 in the vet. Off draft, 1.11 in the IDP draft, and 1.01 in the rookie draft. 16 teams. The team with 1.01 in the offensive player draft had 1.14 in the IDP and 1.10 in the rookie drafts.
oh, and the initial draft was serpentine.

Other details: It was a live, in-person draft. We did it on a spreadsheet, then manually entered rosters into MFL (we weren't savvy enough at the time to set it all up on the MFL draft page)

-oo-

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:41 am

meineymoe wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 am
We came up with a formula - my last startup was in 2008, so I can't recall what it was off hand - but the rookie draft had a different order from the offensive draft had a different order from the IDP draft (since we had people new to IDP and dynasty, we also had a separate draft for the defensive players). So we had a ten round veteran Offensive player draft, ten round veteran Defensive player draft, and a ten round draft that was Rookie Only the first four rounds, then rookie/FA.

For my franchise that draft, I had pick 1.12 in the vet. Off draft, 1.11 in the IDP draft, and 1.01 in the rookie draft. 16 teams. The team with 1.01 in the offensive player draft had 1.14 in the IDP and 1.10 in the rookie drafts.
oh, and the initial draft was serpentine.

Other details: It was a live, in-person draft. We did it on a spreadsheet, then manually entered rosters into MFL (we weren't savvy enough at the time to set it all up on the MFL draft page)

-oo-
What did you base the formula off of? This all seems arbitrary.

Portsmouth Spartans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Saquon Barkley At Peak Value?

Postby Portsmouth Spartans » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Just one guys opinion (a bad one IMO) but Zeke owner in my league owns #1 pick... he’s asking more for Barkley than for Zeke.
10 team standard, keeper with 5-year option contracts (remaining years in parentheses, $5 per additional year when extended), $200 salary cap. Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE
2015, 2017 Champs

QB: Jackson ($8 3yr+extension)
RB: Mixon ($5 1yr+extension), Chubb ($5 2yr+extension), Sanders ($5 3yr+ extension), Michel ($5 1yr+extension), Guice ($5 2yr+extension)
WR: Godwin ($1 2yr+extension), AJ Brown ($3 3yr+extension), Chark ($8 3yr+extension), M. Brown ($3 3y +extension), Isabella ($3 3yr+ extension)
TE: Kittle ($3, 2yr+extension), Henry ($1 2yr+extension), Goedert ($1 3yr+extension)

2020: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 2.01, 2.04, 2.10
2021: 1 1st
2022: 2 1st
2023: 1 1st

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Saquon Barkley At Peak Value?

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Portsmouth Spartans wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 pm Just one guys opinion (a bad one IMO) but Zeke owner in my league owns #1 pick... he’s asking more for Barkley than for Zeke.
And has he had any success moving either so far? :think:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Separate rookie draft in a startup is the worst idea ever, this year even more than most.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Barkley is solid all round, and in PPR, that's why he is so coveted. Todd Gurley is a better overall back, though, no doubt. Saquon has the silky moves, but Gurley is quite elusive, a good pass catcher, and is a much better interior runner. Bell is a better RB, and I think DJ is as well, all round over Barkley. The fact is though, they are 26 and 27(soon) and Barkley is 21, so people are factoring in the extra years Barkley should have to produce. I redraft, Gurley, Bell, DJ, Zeke at least should be going ahead of Barkley. I understand if someone has Barkley ahead of Zeke in Dynasty because of the character issues. Barkley is a prospect that has a very good floor, and a huge ceiling, so it's not hard to see why people value him so highly.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Usually draft picks are included in the main start-up, so it's not actually "the worst idea ever."

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Vcize wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 pm Separate rookie draft in a startup is the worst idea ever, this year even more than most.
A league mate of mine was in a league where they had a separate rookie draft, and it was the reverse order of the start up. THAT was the worst idea ever. So he got start up pick 12 (but it was still snake, so he got 13 as well like a normal start up), and then got the rookie slot 1.01. It was this year. Imagine that. I don't know why anyone would play in that league, the commish clearly has no idea.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

chopping mall
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chopping mall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am

Heh,

Through 5 weeks was interesting to go back and re-read this thread. I loved the people saying that Barkley's value will be LOWER later and then you buy. Through 5 weeks who thinks you can get Barkley NOW cheaper than you could have prior to this season starting?

but it's only 5 weeks so I freely admit all the people making the Barkley to Trent Richardson comparisons still have plenty of time to be proven right.
Team: Hounds of Justice - Year 5
12 Team - 35 Man roster .5 PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|2Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB|1Flex)
QB: D. Brees, D. Carr, A. Dalton
RB: S. Barkley, J. Mixon, C. Clement, F. Gore, J. Jackson, P. Perkins, G. Bernard
WR: K. Allen, A. Green, J. Edelman, B. Cooks, T. Quinn, J. Reynolds, M. Crabtree, J. Doctson
TE: D. Walker D. Waller, D. Goedert, J. Smith
DL: T. Flowers, J. Houston, C. Peters, E. Ansah
LB: D. Leonard, M. Jack, N. Vigil, J. Baker, P. Onwuasor, S. Hamilton
DB: J. Bates, K. Jackson,
taxi: R. Finley, D. Crockett, J. Ursua, D. Willis, J. Thornhill
2020 Picks: 3rd, 5th, 6th

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 am

I paid 3 1st round picks and Robby Anderson to get Barkley prior to the NFL Combine.

And I'm happy that I did.

Barkley = STUD
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 am

chopping mall wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am Heh,

Through 5 weeks was interesting to go back and re-read this thread. I loved the people saying that Barkley's value will be LOWER later and then you buy. Through 5 weeks who thinks you can get Barkley NOW cheaper than you could have prior to this season starting?

but it's only 5 weeks so I freely admit all the people making the Barkley to Trent Richardson comparisons still have plenty of time to be proven right.
I for one misjudged the Giants offence and did not see the reception volume coming so soon. I mean I knew he had receiving chops - but 14 receptions in one game? :sick:

I still think it was dangerous at the time to have ranked him so high so soon - considering Gurley, Gordon, Kamara are all keeping pace and Elliott is close behind and most of those are in the same age range and at least had some history of production. However you do have to act bold at times to get ahead - and those that were bold on Barkley or Mahomes or such are reaping the rewards and I am happy for them.

So I for one was wrong in assuming his early floor was this high. :oops: In the end I am ok being wrong because I only had 3 shares of 1.01 aka Barkley and the 2 shares I traded away I am content with the return I got.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm I think his price is more than that already. If Barkleys price was a random 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2021 1st & 2022 1st and nothing else I actually think a lot of people would be ok paying that.

However if his price is Davante Adams and 1-2 1sts on top of that, or Davante Adams & Melvin Gordon, or Keenan Allen & D. Freemane thats the issue most people I believe would have. Some if not most people are going to pause if they have to pay a WR1 and a RB1 & perhaps more for Barkley.
See here is a statement where I said I was ok with owners paying 3 future 1sts. However if you paid Adams & Gordon to get Barkley - atm you are still losing that deal. Allen & Freeman not so much. :lol:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 am

Currently on pace for over 1800 total yards and 16 TDs. Regression will come, but that should land around the 1500 total yards and 10 TD prediction I had him at as a rookie.

Barring some crazy injury, nobody's buying low on Barkley anytime soon.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:43 am

He has not really looked special in the run game - however he is currently on pace for an insane 83 receptions which adds a ridiculous amount of value currently. Hard to see him maintaining this kind of target count but if he does and improves his ground game - ooh boy.

Is he ranked #1 now?
If not - he has not increased in value.

There is still more than 1 RB I would rather have than him, personally.