Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: What's wrong with Penny?

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:02 pm Penny will make noise later this year. It may not be the popular take anymore, but it's inevitable.
A few high draft picks bust every year, that's inevitable. It's definitely not inevitable that Penny makes noise at any point, ever. Just because you drafted him does not guarantee his success. He looks like the worst running back on his own team and is currently being put to shame by a 7th-rounder(Carson) and a guy who was released on waivers(Davis). Had Penny been a late round pick he'd probably be on the WW in dynasty leagues right now. Players whose perceived value is only being held up by draft capital is one of the surest red flags that they are headed towards "bust-ville".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm
DLF3000 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:02 pm Penny will make noise later this year. It may not be the popular take anymore, but it's inevitable.
A few high draft picks bust every year, that's inevitable. It's definitely not inevitable that Penny makes noise at any point, ever. Just because you drafted him does not guarantee his success. He looks like the worst running back on his own team and is currently being put to shame by a 7th-rounder(Carson) and a guy who was released on waivers(Davis). Had Penny been a late round pick he'd probably be on the WW in dynasty leagues right now. Players whose perceived value is only being held up by draft capital is one of the surest red flags that they are headed towards "bust-ville".
People need these reality checks more time than not. I'm holding for the year with little expectations he makes cuts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:48 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm
This post is the opposite end of the spectrum of the one you commented on. Not every rookie comes into the league and immediately picks it up quickly. There are countless examples of this. There is no reason to panic because he has started off slowly. He has looked good at times and showed very well with the touches he last got. I don't think either of you have given very good analysis on this. Penny will probably be given a shot at some point, it is very probable, not inevitable, but there is no reason to rush that when the other RB's with more NFL experience are playing well. Stud or Bust isn't always the answer. It often falls in between.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Valhalla wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:02 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 pm

The bank?

Am I doing this right?
No one would waste their time on saving a penny. He’s probably on the street somewhere waiting for someone to come by and pick him up on the false hope of some good fortune coming their way.
Older pennys are usually more valuable than younger pennys. So maybe in a few years this penny will be worth more. 8-)
Yes but they usually only become truly worth your time if there's a glaring flaw in the general build. We don't want "mint" condition in an older Penny. We actually are looking for "double-mint."
We just need to find that recognizable flaw in his general build...or get him to start chewing gum...

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 am

10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 am

IR1 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 am Interesting comments?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pet ... li=BBnba9I
I get it... but Pete needs to go

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 am

IR1 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 am Interesting comments?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pet ... li=BBnba9I
Isn’t hunger the cause for all of this in the first place?

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 am

No one is being robbed of an opportunity, neither people to see him play or him to play. He has gotten chances and been outplayed. You dont know how a guy will measure up to NFL competition until you see it.

1) he does not run strong or finish runs, crumbling to NFL defenders.
2) he may have gained weight in an attempt to offset this, but muscle and strength cannot be gained that fast without roids so it ended up not giving him more power and likely slowing him down.
3) he's a rookie and has had the least opportunity with the team, the playbook, and NFL pass protection.
4) I truly believe he was a front office pick and the coaching staff never wanted him. Carroll is just trying to give it a silver lining and be positive but Carson is Carroll's guy barring injury.
5) I already dropped him in redraft for Davis and admit I may have underestimated Davis. I thought he would be third and not get any carries, instead Penny has underwhelmed more than I expected.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 am

_yeti wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 am 1) he does not run strong or finish runs, crumbling to NFL defenders.
2) he may have gained weight ...
A Penny will gain weight with tarnish, and over time, severe corrosion...which will make it susceptible to crumbling. This happens simply by exposure to the elements. Seems like it was inevitable.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:19 am

The plot thickens
I was never at 236 (pounds). I was never at 240,” said Penny, after Carroll casually mentioned to the media during training camp in August that the running back had weighed in at 236. “I was never big. It’s just how I am. At the combine I wasn’t even 220 :shock: , so all the reports about all that is crazy.

“I’m at the weight I’m at now and I feel good. I’ve been feeling good since I stepped in Seattle. I feel like I’m at the best weight and I feel like I’m playing at the best weight.”

That “best weight,” by the way, is either 226 or 227 pounds, per Penny. He was listed at 220 pounds during his four-year career at San Diego State.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am

No way is Penny worth 226-227 pounds. Come on now

bronco86
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby bronco86 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:53 pm

The guy has been given some chances and playing time earlier in the year, but he has never been given a chance to get in a groove and remain in the game for a few consistent drives where they run the ball. I don't like the way they have used him. He is a talented back. Seattle is a bad situation and fit for him. I think his best days are ahead, and honesty hope he gets traded.
10 TEAM 0.5 PPR DYNASTY

1QB 2RB 2WR 1FLEX 1TE
25 man roster, 2 IR

QB- Mayfield, Josh Allen, Rosen
RB- Lindsay, Penny, McGuire, RJIII, Barber, J Adams, John Kelly
WR- M Williams, Sutton, Kirk, A Miller, Reynolds, D Moore, D Hamilton, T Patrick, G Allison
TE- Goedert, Herndon, I Thomas

Drafts
2019 - 2 1st round picks
2020- 6 1st round picks
2021- 4 1st round picks
2022- 3 1st round picks

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am No way is Penny worth 226-227 pounds. Come on now
In for a penny, in for 226-227 pounds?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Sold my share for what will likely be pick 1.12-1.16 in the 2019 draft. Just wiping the legder clean. Don't trust the Seahawks organization. And not convinced that Penny can transcend that situation.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 am

When you never had a plan on how to use someone you just drafted with a first round pick, this is what happens.