Blaine Gabbert

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Blaine Gabbert

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 am

I know I know. But I am desperate in a 16 team start 2QB and I have no one active behind Luck (Wentz out, Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk are both depth prospect guys).

Gabbert was sitting on the waivers and I figured why not with recent talk of him splitting time with Mariota today. I have no idea what to think about him, but any positive points out of Gabbert this week will be better than a zero. And if Mariota’s injury is worse than reported, then Gabbert might be able to hold down my QB2 spot until Wentz returns.

Now, not to make this a team advice post or anything, but what are realistic expectations for Gabbert? Are they actually gonna split reps between Gabby and Mariota? Or is this a smoke screen to make teams gameplan for Mariota while actually starting Gabby this week?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Blaine Gabbert

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 am

I have always felt Gabbert is one of those QBs who can be decent in short spurts and with the right game plan. He's like a McCown or Fitzpatrick lite to me.

You'll see me on record re: Gabbert in the DLF HOF thread.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:50 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 am I have always felt Gabbert is one of those QBs who can be decent in short spurts and with the right game plan. He's like a McCown or Fitzpatrick lite to me.
I agree with this. He was a deer in the headlights coming out of school thrown into a starting role, but he's managed to bounce around the league as a #2. So he has some talent even if it's limited. I wouldn't expect him to light things on fire in Tennessee. They have a lot of shortcomings in their receiving corps.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:56 am

Yeah I wouldn’t have even bothered grabbing him except that I’ve got no one else. Ended up starting Mason Rudolph last week rather than leaving the spot open. Figured what the hell. But with the chance that Gabbert plays and potentially has some significant time, then at least (presumably) he will do something. If he can buy me some time, then awesome.

But if I recall, Mariota is always banged up, no? Prob not the worst backup QB to own in a big 2QB league when the starter is always hurt.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:59 am

Mariota has missed at least 1 & portions of other games every year he has played yes. So I stashed Gabbert in SF leagues and deep larger leagues, especially Best Ball, where I could.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Fun Gabbert fact - depending on your scoring settings in SF - Gabbert this week may have scored more than Bradford has in 2 weeks. ;)

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:55 pm

If your bench doesn't have the depth, then yes, you need to scour the wire for these journeymen QBs.

Granted, these QBs probably won't win you a ton of games but they'll at least get you some points in a position of need.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:56 am Yeah I wouldn’t have even bothered grabbing him except that I’ve got no one else. Ended up starting Mason Rudolph last week rather than leaving the spot open. Figured what the hell. But with the chance that Gabbert plays and potentially has some significant time, then at least (presumably) he will do something. If he can buy me some time, then awesome.

But if I recall, Mariota is always banged up, no? Prob not the worst backup QB to own in a big 2QB league when the starter is always hurt.
Pretty much. Also Mariota has accuracy issues at times and while Gabbert isn't a legit starter he ran the offense better than Mariota did. New coach won't care how he gets W's in TEN and the defense has played OK.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:30 am

Don't be surprised if you get another start out of Gabbert today.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 am

Wentz is back so no need.

But yes, looks like another Gabby start.