Release the Guice! - The Derrius Guice Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lssd2012
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Guice ACL - Who Should Go 1.02?

Postby Lssd2012 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 am

Depends on the league format. In 2QB or superflex, I'd be going Baker Mayfield. In 1QB leagues, probably Kerryon or Michel.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Guice torn ACL out for year. What's this do to his value in rookie drafts still to come?

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm

For a team I am rebuilding, I added him at 1.04 today. :)

I did this because I also own the 1.08, and felt that if I did not take him at 1.04 he might not make it to 1.08, but if I did take him at 1.04, I was fine with whomever fell to me at 1.08.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Guice torn ACL out for year. What's this do to his value in rookie drafts still to come?

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 pm

If he was your 1.02 and you earned that pick, you may as well take Guice, stink again this year and earn another early draft pick next year.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:50 pm

I'd probably still take him 1.02-1.04 but I feel a whole heckuva lot less excited about it. His running style could lead him to more often putting his body in awkward positions and increase the chance of some seemingly random/freak injury. Also a little curious if the untreated hyperextension in his knee while at LSU had anything to do with his draft day slide. Could understand if some of the more conservative medical staffs flagged him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 pm

DynoScout wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:50 pm I'd probably still take him 1.02-1.04 but I feel a whole heckuva lot less excited about it. His running style could lead him to more often putting his body in awkward positions and increase the chance of some seemingly random/freak injury. Also a little curious if the untreated hyperextension in his knee while at LSU had anything to do with his draft day slide. Could understand if some of the more conservative medical staffs flagged him.
I'm pretty sure Lev Bell hyperextended his knee in a playoff game, and then tore the same knee up the following season. I wonder if there was a correlation between the two injuries Guice had?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:11 pm

In my personal rankings I had Chubb and Guice in a similar tier of 2down back that could turn into an ok pass catcher with time. I believe Chubb is a better runner with good vision whilst Guice is an angry hard runner but his vision isn't great. I'd take both Chubb and Penny over Guice with the acl as I think both their value will rise this year by playing.
If you had Guice in his own tier after Barkley then he should stay there, if they were close then take the guys that will play and learn.
Carson will play this year but I think it will be a DJ situation where he completely takes over in his second year.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Saying Kerryon is situation based madness. I would probably try to trade out (not trade back but trade out) of the 1.2. See if anyone would give up a vet plus a future pick ir two to move in. Hard pressed it would be tough, Guice was my 1.2, I might still bite the bullet and take him. He is the most fun back to watch in this class but he isn't quite big enough with his physical style to make me feel safe and that's before the injury. Everyone has their knocks, would be between Penny and Chubb for me. Honestly I might roll the dice on Chubb at this point knowing what we know
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

RAB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RAB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 pm

This is every league winner's dream scenario. Watch a legit 1.02 valued player fall to them because everyone forgets they're in a dynasty league. If he was your 1.02 pre injury then draft him 1.02
TEAM 1
10 team .5 PPR 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/DEF
2019 Champion
2020 Champion
QB-Lamar Jackson, Trey Lance
RB-CMC, Kamara, King Henry, Chubb,, Dillon, D.J., Tony Jones
WR-Metcalf, AJ Brown, Godwin, Arob, Mooney, Bryan Edwards
TE- Fant, Goedert, L. Thomas

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bsacks13 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Just had my rookie draft today in my league today and he fell to 1.08.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO

Artair
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Artair » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

What's this junk about Guice not being explosive in space?

13 percent of his carries in 2016 went for 15 or more yards. 60 percent of his total yards were earned on those types of runs! home run guy, check

He had three 250-285 yard rushing games against the fastest defenses in the nation (SEC), and he averaged 12, 12.5, and 7.7 yards per carry in those games! grinders don't do that, fact. Guice is a 4.49 40 runner with a 1.55 10 yard split at 224 pounds. That makes his weight adjusted speed very elite. He has a better 10 and 20 yard split at a heavier weight than Rashaad Penny. For metrics types, this is the hot chocolate sauce, nuts and cherry on top that completes the sundae. home run guy, double check

Guice was an SEC power back the same way Gurley and Fournette were SEC power backs. All bad dudes with highlight after highlight of explosive breakaway runs in space that make defensive backs crap their pants and leave linebackers in the dust. Speaking of Fournette, look at any LSU football fan message board in 2016, and you will see the majority of fans saying Guice is better than Fournette

I'm taking Guice as early as 1.03 for my IR slot and laughing all the way to the bank next year
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 pm Nope, I am a Penny guy, against all the Guice love, and I had DJ high as well, had Lev Bell as my RB1 in all of Dynasty after his rookie year, had Kareem as a good NFL start 3 years ago at Toledo in his sophomore year etc.

I am best at evaluating RB in terms of my personal scouting.
searched your post history, my dude
  • You said David Johnson had poor vision and bad tape. You said he was too old. You dismissed him as a converted WR. You said he didn't know how to run between the tackles, and wouldn't be able to learn how. You said having him as a top 2 RB in his class was absurd. You said he would never come close to Matt Forte production. You said he wasn't "a bellcow RB...at all." You said he could only be a "slash" type WR/RB gadget. You said he wasn't a 3 down back. There's more. You posted a whole lot about him. You get the point. You were almost totally negative.
  • You did have one hype post about Kareem Hunt before he was established an NFL star. So props for that. Although you didn't say you "had Kareem as a good NFL start 3 years ago" you only talked about his production at Toledo. you didn't post anything about him in 2017 before the season started. I bet his mediocre combine changed your mind
  • Can't determine if you're being honest about Bell since you started posting here after he was already a superstar
if this were reddit, I could post that DJ stuff to r/quityourbullshit and get 10k Karma :dance:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Artair wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm What's this junk about Guice not being explosive in space?

13 percent of his carries in 2016 went for 15 or more yards. 60 percent of his total yards were earned on those types of runs! home run guy, check

He had three 250-285 yard rushing games against the fastest defenses in the nation (SEC), and he averaged 12, 12.5, and 7.7 yards per carry in those games! grinders don't do that, fact. Guice is a 4.49 40 runner with a 1.55 10 yard split at 224 pounds. That makes his weight adjusted speed very elite. He has a better 10 and 20 yard split at a heavier weight than Rashaad Penny. For metrics types, this is the hot chocolate sauce, nuts and cherry on top that completes the sundae. home run guy, double check

Guice was an SEC power back the same way Gurley and Fournette were SEC power backs. All bad dudes with highlight after highlight of explosive breakaway runs in space that make defensive backs crap their pants and leave linebackers in the dust. Speaking of Fournette, look at any LSU football fan message board in 2016, and you will see the majority of fans saying Guice is better than Fournette

I'm taking Guice as early as 1.03 for my IR slot and laughing all the way to the bank next year
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 pm Nope, I am a Penny guy, against all the Guice love, and I had DJ high as well, had Lev Bell as my RB1 in all of Dynasty after his rookie year, had Kareem as a good NFL start 3 years ago at Toledo in his sophomore year etc.

I am best at evaluating RB in terms of my personal scouting.
searched your post history, my dude
  • You said David Johnson had poor vision and bad tape. You said he was too old. You dismissed him as a converted WR. You said he didn't know how to run between the tackles, and wouldn't be able to learn how. You said having him as a top 2 RB in his class was absurd. You said he would never come close to Matt Forte production. You said he wasn't "a bellcow RB...at all." You said he could only be a "slash" type WR/RB gadget. You said he wasn't a 3 down back. There's more. You posted a whole lot about him. You get the point. You were almost totally negative.
  • You did have one hype post about Kareem Hunt before he was established an NFL star. So props for that. Although you didn't say you "had Kareem as a good NFL start 3 years ago" you only talked about his production at Toledo. you didn't post anything about him in 2017 before the season started. I bet his mediocre combine changed your mind
  • Can't determine if you're being honest about Bell since you started posting here after he was already a superstar
if this were reddit, I could post that DJ stuff to r/quityourbullshit and get 10k Karma :dance:
Yeah, Hunt I was on about to my personal friends 3 years ago, or whenever his sophomore year was. I also didn't say I had Bell as my RB1 on here after his rookie year, but I did. My hometown league knows all about it. That was my only league at the time. I don't always share everything around here. I was on a hiatus on this board for about a year, maybe a year and a half so going into last years draft I was not on these boards in regards to Hunt. I dismissed DJ as a converted wide WR because there was some debate about whether or not it was factual. I did not expect DJ to be what he is, I was still higher on him after a close friend of mine and I discussed his tape further, later on. I had him very high compared to his ADP, but much later in the process. I did post a lot of those things, but a long discussion, on his film etc. with a friend got me to change my thinking. I did not expect him to be this good however. Even into his rookie year my expectations were tempered. I still didn't fully believe, but I still ended up with him, because of his ADP, and my friends advice but just sold my last share a month or two ago. For the record, Evan Silva did not think he could run between the tackles either. I was pleasantly surprised, but my friend showed me some things I had missed, and as a result, I did end up with him, and some good insight on bettering my scouting process. I also routinely ask my friends opinions on certain players, ever since he put me on to DJ. So I guess DJ was my friend more than me, but I learned why I was wrong on him in the pre draft process from my friend and ended up getting him. Maybe DJ wasn't the best example, as my friend showed me what I did not originally see, but a lot of those lessons went into why I had Penny high, so I guess that's why I mentioned it.

Also this "junk" about Guice not being explosive in space was in reference to him as a pass catcher, and catching the ball with his back to the defense for the most part, not his rushing, when he gets a downhill start.

"He isn't very explosive in space. He is a great power back that once he gets momentum to the 2nd level, is really hard to bring down, because he has that inertia vs DB's, but in receiving situations, where often times you catch the ball with your back to the defender, he is not elusive."

My point was that he didn't have the explosion or elusiveness that other RB's on his current team, or probably backs they can add in the future have, in order to make Guice a 3 down bell cow back. I still think he's capable of Jordan Howard type numbers, which is really good.

Don't really think I need to explain myself further to you, I know who I drafted, and when in my leagues, thanks for playing Sherlock, though. :clap: :thumbup:

Genuinely curious how much time you spent/wasted leafing through my posts from years ago? Are you the man formerly known as Turcorox?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 am

I don't get the rah rah it's dynasty take. Ideally I look at a 2-3 year window. At best, Guice misses 1/3 of that timeframe. It absolutely hurts his value.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Fish Sticks
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Fish Sticks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 am

bsacks13 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 pm Just had my rookie draft today in my league today and he fell to 1.08.
That seems excessive.

We just started our rookie draft and he still went 1.02.
12-team/.5 PPR/6 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te),
(2023 Champion)
QB: Mahomes , M. White
RB: S. Barkley, J.Mixon, A.Kamara, J.McKinnon, Breida
WR: T. Hill , AJ.Brown , D. Adams, J.Landry, M.Williams, H.Renfrow,
TE: M. Andrews , T. Hill, T. Conklin
2023 picks 2.01, 3.02

12-team/PPR/SF. Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (rb/wr/te), 1FLEX (rb/wr/te/qb)
(2023 high scorer, 5th place)
QB: P. Mahomes, D. Watson , M.Corral, S. Thompson, M.Mariota
RB: S Barkley,K. Hunt,J.Mixon,D. Williams
WR: T. Hill, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, K.Shakir, C. Samuel, R.Gage, C.Davis, A.Thielen
TE: D.Goedert, H.Hurst, T.Conklin, N.Gray
2023 Picks 1.01,1.02,1.08,1.11 2024 2 1sts, 3 2nds, 1 3rd, 1 4th

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 am

Fish Sticks wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 am
bsacks13 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 pm Just had my rookie draft today in my league today and he fell to 1.08.
That seems excessive.

Going 1.8 is a bit of a head scratch post injury but going 1.2 at this point is foolish. Guice is not Superman. Not only was he the 7th RB drafted in the NFL, is a near lock to be a 2 down back, but is now out for the year with a bad knee.

The Group think in Fantasy is alarming.
Reminds me of all the hype of Christine Michael when he was the 5th RB drafted in 2013
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 am

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 am
Fish Sticks wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 am
That seems excessive.

Going 1.8 is a bit of a head scratch post injury but going 1.2 at this point is foolish. Guice is not Superman. Not only was he the 7th RB drafted in the NFL, is a near lock to be a 2 down back, but is now out for the year with a bad knee.

The Group think in Fantasy is alarming.
Reminds me of all the hype of Christine Michael when he was the 5th RB drafted in 2013
he was already 2 or 3 in most drafts that ive seen...im not sure how this changes anything. its not like there are ringing endorsements for penny, rojo, chubb right now. are you bumping freeman and kerryon up? i mean realistically....his value is insulated until this time next year by default. he cant play his way out of "value" if you follow me.

i guess if you want to speak value as to what he gives you this year....he is giving nothing. possibly better draft position i guess. he also isnt losing any "value" unless perine or kelly were to roll with the job.

i think the big thing here is to follow your personal rankings. if you have someone tiered with guice, take that guy...but in most instances...guice had a tier to himself or was tiered with 1 (maybe 2) other guy/s.

this situation reminds you of michael, it reminds me of obj. guys that were drafted early initially, experienced an injury (causing them to fall in late rookie drafts).....but have the talent to be high end players.