Ronnie Jones

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Ronnie Jones

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:26 pmCool. You aren't a fan of Jones. We got it.
You're damn right I'm not a fan. Let me make that clear again.

Ronald Jones is over-rated.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm
grandmabetty wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:26 pmCool. You aren't a fan of Jones. We got it.
You're damn right I'm not a fan. Let me make that clear again.

Ronald Jones is over-rated.
I feel like you've been especially abrasive recently. Care to simmer down?

We do get that you don't like Jones, but it sure sounds like you think he's the worst running back in the history of the NFL. No issue with you being much lower on him than me or others, but there's no way you think he's a truly terrible running back not capable of anything. You talk about him like he's a D3 walk-on.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pmI feel like you've been especially abrasive recently. Care to simmer down?
If you're getting scared or annoyed, there's a way to ignore my comments. I'm passionate about my opinions and I want you to hear them over and over until you change your mind and join the dark side.
We do get that you don't like Jones, but it sure sounds like you think he's the worst running back in the history of the NFL. No issue with you being much lower on him than me or others, but there's no way you think he's a truly terrible running back not capable of anything. You talk about him like he's a D3 walk-on.
He is truly terrible. I fear for everyone who is hanging onto him & defending him. There's zero to defend for his first preseason outing.

The difference between an average fantasy owner and a great fantasy owner is the ability to recognize garbage from the 1st round as well as talent from the 2nd & 3rd rounds. There's no way that all 12 players drafted in the 1st round are going to pan out. There has to be garbage in there somewhere, so of the players we've seen so far, which ones would you peg to be trash? The earlier your recognize the trash, the better off you will be.

My pick is RoJo.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:07 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pmI feel like you've been especially abrasive recently. Care to simmer down?
If you're getting scared or annoyed, there's a way to ignore my comments. I'm passionate about my opinions and I want you to hear them over and over until you change your mind and join the dark side.
He is truly terrible. I fear for everyone who is hanging onto him & defending him. There's zero to defend for his first preseason outing.

The difference between an average fantasy owner and a great fantasy owner is the ability to recognize garbage from the 1st round as well as talent from the 2nd & 3rd rounds. There's no way that all 12 players drafted in the 1st round are going to pan out. There has to be garbage in there somewhere, so of the players we've seen so far, which ones would you peg to be trash? The earlier your recognize the trash, the better off you will be.

My pick is RoJo.
https://giphy.com/gifs/cbs-braindead-l0MYrLAFex1R71l0A
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Artair
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Artair » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 pm

RoJo is young. Really young. What he accomplished at age 19 and 20 is rare. The problems with his hands catching balls makes me drop him to RB5, but he's so young that maybe he can develop better hands by next season. For now tho, I'm thinking his rookie year impact will be diminished. So I won't reach on him.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Whether or not you agree with Meurah or not you should be aware of the following:
MEuRaH wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:06 am I'm a former RB coach. I predicted TRich would suck and CJA would be the best back in Denver prior to their playing days.

Zeke has great vision, low center of gravity, and runs with purpose. He's also an extremely smart player who can pickup blitzes, allowing him to stay on the field for 3rd downs which is crucial to fantasy production for RBs in this day and age.

This wasn't luck. I know RBs.

As good as I am at RBs, I'm equally terrible at WR. God damnit do I suck at WR. So it all evens out.
Meurah has really strong statements when it comes to RBs. My guess (I could be wrong) is that he would rank CJA over RoJo* so none of what he has said surprises me.

* - I am not saying Meurah would trade Ronald Jones straight up for CJ Anderson - since he obviously would not draft Jones and would only acquire him at a cheap enough price to flip him easily to get someone he did believe in - just that he has strong beliefs about RBs and has a past history that may give him insight.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 pm

An undersized rb who can't catch, what's not to like?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pmstuff
"PLAYER SIX HAS ENTERED THE ARENA"

I have no idea what you're trying to say by posting that. Are you on or off the RoJo train? I gotta know!
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 am

MEuRaH wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 am
ArrylT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pmstuff
"PLAYER SIX HAS ENTERED THE ARENA"

I have no idea what you're trying to say by posting that. Are you on or off the RoJo train? I gotta know!
I am not on the RoJon train, nor currently at the station buying a ticket. I am online mulling over whether or not I should in the future purchase a ticket if the prices drop. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am

After an underwhelming performance by rookie Ronald Jones in the preseason opener at Miami on Thursday in which Koetter said the second-round pick from Southern Cal was "average," it appears as though Peyton Barber has a good grip on the position.

"Peyton is our starter," Koetter said Monday. "We're definitely going to use Ronald Jones and take advantage of what he's going to do. We do have the two veteran backs behind him. Again, we've got three more preseason games. Let's just let it sort out a little more."

Barber had four carries for 21 yards and a touchdown Thursday while Jones carried eight times for 9 yards and a score.

Most NFL teams use a committee approach to the running back position and the Bucs will be no exception. In addition to Barber and Jones, they also have three players fighting for the role of third down back: Jacquizz Rodgers, Charles Sims and rookie Shaun Wilson.

"Peyton could be a three-down player if we asked him to," Koetter said. "You know the reason you don't see a whole lot of three down backs in the NFL is because it's hard on them. They get tired and they take a pounding. I don't think any position gets hit more and gets harder than running back in the NFL. Linemen of course are hitting each other on every play. But usually when those backs get hurt, someone has a 10-yard running start. I do not think we'll be going with a three-down back just because I think it's very hard to do. Those guys who that are that in the league are really in an elite status."
https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/201 ... ald-jones/

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am

I took Jones ahead of Chubb and Michel and have no regrets.
TB line isn't great but neither was USC's. He is a breakaway guy and a couple bigger runs will change the tune of the community quickly. Nobody has a shittier backfield as competition for touches...so opportunity could be there and with touches anything can happen.

We have seen plenty of lesser backs succeed because they get touches and for essentially no other reason. Doesn't matter if there are better options as 3rd on the depth chart on their teams because touches are all that matters. I say no matter what his ADP is right now it is as likely he improves it before the end of the season some point than he drives it down
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am

Nobody has a shittier backfield as competition for touches
To be clear, Barber is ahead of Jones right now because he's playing better football than Jones. Barber is built like a bellcow, is serviceable as an every-down guy, played well to close last season as a bellcow, and now reportedly he's lost 10lbs or something and is supposedly faster and quicker than before.

I agree it's unlikely Barber becomes a Pro Bowler and relegates Jones to only five carries a week, but as I've been telling y'all since last season before Martin was jettisoned which I also correctly predicted, Barber is a good football player. He's an obstacle to Jones at least as significant as, say, Chris Carson is to Rashaad Penny.

Barber profiles suspiciously similar to Spencer Ware before he became legitimately valuable for awhile, even had practically the same assessment by Matt Waldman coming out of the SEC. i.e. "Buried on his depth-chart at LSU/Auburn, some parts of his game are raw and will need a few years to develop, but I see the potential to eventually start in the NFL", basically, in summary.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 am

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

My pick is RoJo.
Epic LMAO!!!
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am

Not a fan of this player. He could be serviceable but isn't really fast or quick. His body type is too lean for my liking.

Looks like slower version of Charles Simms but with better vision. Pad level is not good.

Wasn't really even on my draft board. Seemed like he was average in all areas. Maybe he will surprise but I see an average player that isn't very fluid on team that can't run the ball. Tampa could finish last in YPC this year.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am isn't really fast or quick
Another one? You gotta do more than just look at playerprofiler.com.

Jones has issues. Lack of long speed, short area quickness or acceleration are very extremely not among them.

Jones on tape is estimated to be running an upper range 4.3 or lower range 4.4 40.
Looks like slower version of Charles Simms but with better vision. Pad level is not good.
His pad level is consistently good.

Jones' vision is somtimes spotty, because he can be impatient.

And Charles Sims never saw a run between the tackles he wasn't reluctant to take. Jones? If anything, sometimes he's too eager to slam it up the gut.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE