Penny will lead in touches in a committee
52%

Total votes: 94

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition ***POLL***

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:28 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 pm http://sports.mynorthwest.com/493358/12 ... is-carson/?

More Carson drumbeats ...
Psh positive talk in the offseason is meaningless, haven't you heard? Empty space. Observations of people at the practices and actually watching them? Useless. Only thing that matters is reading the tea leaves of draft capital. No one would ever replace a highly paid franchise QB with a 6th round pick, that guy could never amount to anything! 6th round?! Never happens, probability dictates it
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 pm

_yeti wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:28 pm
ArrylT wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 pm http://sports.mynorthwest.com/493358/12 ... is-carson/?

Psh positive talk in the offseason is meaningless, haven't you heard? Empty space. Observations of people at the practices and actually watching them? Useless. Only thing that matters is reading the tea leaves of draft capital. No one would ever replace a highly paid franchise QB with a 6th round pick, that guy could never amount to anything! 6th round?! Never happens, probability dictates it
For every Tom Brady there are thousands of guys who go nowhere. I remember when Zach Sudfeld was the next Aaron Hernandez. Probability dictates it's not likely Carson is the starting RB, not that it won't happen. Why are you so smug? Who ever said it "never" happens? This comment is ripe with condescension.

As for the more Carson "drumbeats", nothing has happened in weeks in practices. There haven't been any, it's people re-hashing material because there is literally nothing new to write about. The workout warrior looked good in shorts, not surprising. Carson can be a good secondary back IMO, but he's not a lead back in the NFL, on my take. He can certainly get touches, but Penny should be the guy in Seattle.

Here's a drumbeat, too.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... ro-bowler/

Training camp hasn't even started. I wasn't going to jump into this thread again, but your comment just has a really smug tone towards some of the direct conversations we had that I don't particularly care for it. Debate is fine, but condescension I don't care for.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 pm

For every Tom Brady there are thousands of guys who go nowhere. I remember when Zach Sudfeld was the next Aaron Hernandez. Probability dictates it's not likely Carson is the starting RB, not that it won't happen. Why are you so smug? Who ever said it "never" happens? This comment is ripe with condescension.

As for the more Carson "drumbeats", nothing has happened in weeks in practices. There haven't been any, it's people re-hashing material because there is literally nothing new to write about. The workout warrior looked good in shorts, not surprising. Carson can be a good secondary back IMO, but he's not a lead back in the NFL, on my take. He can certainly get touches, but Penny should be the guy in Seattle.

Here's a drumbeat, too.

Training camp hasn't even started. I wasn't going to jump into this thread again, but your comment just has a really smug tone towards some of the direct conversations we had that I don't particularly care for it. Debate is fine, but condescension I don't care for.
Did you type out the whole word of condescension or did you just type half and then click the suggestion on your phone? Ok, um USA Today? Someone has picked Penny as a pro bowler? DEFINITELY more credible than people who watched practices and not at all being touted strictly bc someone (*cough* you) invested heavily in Penny. In shorts? Um, one guy has laced them up in the NFL and last time I checked that wasn't Penny. As for all the rest um yeah tons of late rounders and UDFAs don't work out, that is literally the most obvious and easiest prediction to make. They literally pick people in order like a dodge ball team, first round means sooner and more important, gold freaking star dude. I never had worked that out but for some reason it's sinking in now. I literally picked one guy, intentionally a long shot ("low probability") value buy to talk about and you have vaguely shot down every single thing I have said with the almighty and lazy draft capital argument sprinkled in with a tad bit of "college production" talk (disregarding Penny comes from an off brand conference himself). Sorry that equating a story about a 6th rounder beating the almighty probability was so offensive. It's almost like there is nothing to debate if it is as simple as just plugging everything in the order of the NFL draft and calling it a day.

Guice would be more of a threat to Carson if the Hawks had drafted him and he was drafted later than Penny. They're gonna run a committee. Deal with it

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:29 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 pm I remember when Zach Sudfeld was the next Aaron Hernandez.
Not to anyone smart. The point is to be right. To pick the right one, but if you can't delineate between who may or not be the long shot that hits, it is a better strategy to not try and just stick to higher probability pedigrees and situations. It doesn't mean no one else can though. If we all just regurgitate the same stuff to stay in the pack because if you stay with the pack and are wrong then hey, everyone thought it, no danger there. This site is much more enjoyable when someone takes a deeper dive and/or goes out on a limb.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:40 pm

_yeti wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Here's a drumbeat, too.

Did you type out the whole word of condescension or did you just type half and then click the suggestion on your phone? Ok, um USA Today? Someone has picked Penny as a pro bowler? DEFINITELY more credible than people who watched practices and not at all being touted strictly bc someone (*cough* you) invested heavily in Penny. In shorts? Um, one guy has laced them up in the NFL and last time I checked that wasn't Penny. As for all the rest um yeah tons of late rounders and UDFAs don't work out, that is literally the most obvious and easiest prediction to make. They literally pick people in order like a dodge ball team, first round means sooner and more important, gold freaking star dude. I never had worked that out but for some reason it's sinking in now. I literally picked one guy, intentionally a long shot ("low probability") value buy to talk about and you have vaguely shot down every single thing I have said with the almighty and lazy draft capital argument sprinkled in with a tad bit of "college production" talk (disregarding Penny comes from an off brand conference himself). Sorry that equating a story about a 6th rounder beating the almighty probability was so offensive. It's almost like there is nothing to debate if it is as simple as just plugging everything in the order of the NFL draft and calling it a day.

Guice would be more of a threat to Carson if the Hawks had drafted him and he was drafted later than Penny. They're gonna run a committee. Deal with it
Again, more condescension. I don't have a phone, I can spell. " Someone" has picked Penny to be a pro bowler? USA Today simply picked up the quotes and turned it into an article, just as so many other news outlets do. You come on here and spout off the absurdity of draft capital and college production being an argument, yet you think some beat reporter who watched a few OTA practices is "DEFINITELY" more credible that Gil Brandt. Do you know who Gil Brandt is? Maybe you should try reading and processing the information before retorting with another, smug know it all comment. No point in arguing with your ignorance. You call my analysis lazy but you don't even bother to read the article, or perhaps research who Gil Brandt is compared to your "DEFINITELY" more credible sources out there is Seattle who have been assigned to cover some OTA's. What an absolute joke. Glad to know how they are going to run their backfield before training camp starts. I don't even care what happens, particularly, in the grand scheme of life. "They're gone run a committee. Deal with it". What was the point of the poll, then? Thanks coach, for letting me know how it's going to shake out. :thumbup:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:31 am

I have Carson, grabbed him last year because I had grabbed Rawls a year or 2 before. Still have both on my roster, don't need to do cut downs for another month. I have a 1.06 pick and pray to God that someone else takes Penny before my pick. Then I hope to unload Carson to the Penny owner for basically anything I can get. Chasing this backfield for the past several years, just want to get out if possible.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:40 pm
_yeti wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Here's a drumbeat, too.

Again, more condescension. I don't have a phone, I can spell. " Someone" has picked Penny to be a pro bowler? USA Today simply picked up the quotes and turned it into an article, just as so many other news outlets do. You come on here and spout off the absurdity of draft capital and college production being an argument, yet you think some beat reporter who watched a few OTA practices is "DEFINITELY" more credible that Gil Brandt. Do you know who Gil Brandt is? Maybe you should try reading and processing the information before retorting with another, smug know it all comment. No point in arguing with your ignorance. You call my analysis lazy but you don't even bother to read the article, or perhaps research who Gil Brandt is compared to your "DEFINITELY" more credible sources out there is Seattle who have been assigned to cover some OTA's. What an absolute joke. Glad to know how they are going to run their backfield before training camp starts. I don't even care what happens, particularly, in the grand scheme of life. "They're gone run a committee. Deal with it". What was the point of the poll, then? Thanks coach, for letting me know how it's going to shake out. :thumbup:
^As is often the case with spin (like yours above) we have gone in a complete circle. Allow us to return to the beginning as it is relevant once again:
_yeti wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:50 am I was supporting your point. Should have been more clear. It doesn't matter what a beat writer says about Carson at this time of year (as you said, and I completely agree), there is a huge body of evidence to suggest Penny will play and play a lot.
Being that I have been the one posting beat writer quotes, let me clarify my position as well. I know more about football than the beat writer! I am using him to support my position, not using his words to form my position.

I'm planting a flag, Carson sees a minimum 35% of the touches and could be all the way up to 70%. Draft capital does not necessarily equate to actual football utility. Maybe it is an organization that has been run first for a long time and they didn't want to pass on Penny's talent knowing that if they use Carson to bang, injuries could and probably will pop up again. I am betting 60/40 Carson or 50/50 Carson and people's draft capital minds will be blown.
1) I said my points and positions are only supported by beat writers, not formed by them.
2) USA Today is not known for deep fantasy dives
3) I read the article, Brandt picks Penny as his one Seahawks player to make his first pro bowl. Well Wilson has 4, Wagner has 4, Baldwin has 2, what big names are there to say make a first pro bowl? What kind of a prediction is that even? It's a useless one, um who will make their first pro bowl from the Seahawks... the new 1st round RB? That or some random defensive player, an OLineman, someone from the WR corps? What use is this article? You literally searched for it to say "see, news about Penny too!"
4) as you can see from our original interaction above, this isn't about a battle of beat writers or articles to me. Your turn to a battle of the writer's credibility is pure spin on the fact that I said you disregard the opinions of people who watch them play, the beat writers from practice and me saying from what I see from their play on the field not "probability."

Somebody get this man a tide pod for all that spin

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 am

I'm a Penny owner, and worth what it's worth, I don't see Carson as a major threat. The dude had 48 touches last season in four games for a grand total of 208 yards (93 of which came in one game), and in three of those games his ypr was well below 4 (Week 1 he had 39 yards on 6 touches, 30 yards on one carry). That's a small sample size, of course. And behind a terrible o-line, though in Week 2 the line did not look that bad.

Here is the film from his best game (Week 2 versus San Fran). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCdEIQoJAY

He looks good. He runs hard, glides a bit, smooth. Has a good cut to the right (gets kinda predictable though). Nice hands. But nothing transcendent.

We will see how the touches pan out. Lot of factors at play there. My guess Carson gets about 35% to 50% in 2018, unless Penny shines That's not a bad situation for Penny or for his fantasy owners. Competition with a good RB will push Penny to train, compete, play harder. And sharing the snaps will shield him from excessive abuse, risk of injury.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:53 am

Happy to say you are all wrong. Penny is dumpster fire and my subjective opinion trumps all.

/end thread
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:07 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 am We will see how the touches pan out. Lot of factors at play there. My guess Carson gets about 35% to 50% in 2018, unless Penny shines That's not a bad situation for Penny or for his fantasy owners. Competition with a good RB will push Penny to train, compete, play harder. And sharing the snaps will shield him from excessive abuse, risk of injury.
Agree with this 1000%. Reading the last handful of comments, I was going to chime in with these sentiments, but COD nailed it. This is dynasty FF. It feels like sometimes we forget that with our expectation for immediate ceiling production and operate on the premise that if a guy isn't a number 1 at his position out the gate, he's somehow a bust. That isn't how this works.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am

Poll set to run for a couple more weeks. Currently 80% vote that Penny will lead, 20% vote Carson will lead (currently the first week of training camp).

28% Penny is 3-down bacl
52% Penny leads committee
4% Carson is 3-down back
17% Carson leads committee

Aware that's 101% but that's what the poll calculates it to at the moment (I guess without decimals).

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am

I bought Penny for D Henry on what I feel is a contending team. I don't like this thread :( I really wanted him to get that 1st round rb workhorse touches out the gate

Good news is my team is young so as long as they're not busts I should still be ok years to come. Don't have a 1st next year tho
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:16 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am I bought Penny for D Henry on what I feel is a contending team. I don't like this thread :( I really wanted him to get that 1st round rb workhorse touches out the gate

Good news is my team is young so as long as they're not busts I should still be ok years to come. Don't have a 1st next year tho
Looks like Henry is in line for a committee also so it may be a wash on those two, though in MFL10s I have been buying a lot of shares of Henry for this year. I'd still take Penny over Henry long-term at the moment, though Henry's play this year could change that. Henry is 24 vs Penny being 22 also. Not nothing when it comes to RBs

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 pm

The results so far are about what I've expected.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..