Corey Davis - is this it, will it get better?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Re: Do the Titans throw enough for Corey Davis to ever be a true fantasy WR1?

Postby jaykay22 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:47 pm

High end WR3 floor with yearly low-end WR1 ceiling is what I can see Davis being in the NFL.
#FreeCoreyDavis

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:42 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 pm The main thing that I think will hold Davis back is volume, the Titans are still very much a run-first team, as evidenced by the fact that Mariota has averaged ~31 pass attempts per game over each of his first two seasons. It's possible they could change their gameplan up in the future but I'm skeptical because of how much they've invested in their OL and their RB situation so Mariota will generally be throwing out ~480 attempts a season, assuming of course that they have a reason to play him in week 17 (which most leagues don't count anyway) so the 450 he had last year is probably a safer bet

Now we can take a look at Rishard Matthews who was his number 1 WR last year who was targeted on 95 of Mariota's 450 attempts which is just over a 21% target share (most WR1s on teams average about 20-22%), now obviously this will go down this year with Davis in the mix and I am by no means saying that Matthews is as talented as Davis is but Matthews didn't go anywhere, he is still a viable receiver on the team who will pull targets from Davis along with Delanie Walker (94 targets), Tajae Sharpe (81 targets), the RBs (80 combined targets)

Davis is clearly the most talented receiver on the team, no question, but odds are he won't end up with more than a 20-22% target share which, given Mariota's 2 previous seasons, will equate to roughly 100 targets, assuming he catches 65% of them (a good catch rate for any receiver) that's 65 receptions (duh) which would mean he would need at least 15.5 yards per catch to hit 1000 yards on the season and 1 TD every 8 catches to hit 8 touchdowns

The TDs would certainly be doable especially given his size and talent (although rushing TD vultures near the end zone are a bigger possibility with a running QB and two solid backs) but keeping up that YPC average is tough over a full season. Mike Evans, OBJ, Antonio Brown and Amari Cooper didn't even average 14.0 YPC let alone 15.0 or 15.5 (Cooper was closest with 13.9) and even Rishard Matthews only hit 14.5 YPC, so for Davis to do it as a rookie in such a low volume passing attack with capable albeit less talented receivers in Walker and Matthews around him is incredibly unlikely no matter how talented he is.
From a Davis thread over the summer and just like clockwork Mariota is averaging 30.6 pass attempts per game so far this year. Another thing to consider with low volume passing offenses is volatility, the lower the volume a receiver gets the more likely any small change in play from either the WR or QB will effect their fantasy totals so consistency takes a huge blow there as well.
Already addressed this like twice already. It's possible he hits WR1 production but unlikely and the consistency with which he'll do that is gonna be pretty low. Granted with a new HC/OC Mariota could still throw more but with the addition of Lewis and the Titans focusing on defense in the draft (better D = closer games = more rushing) I kind of doubt it.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:08 am

Jaysof wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:31 pm As we all know, volume plays a huge role in fantasy football, and that means that a WR needs significant targets to be a WR1. During his three-year career, Marcus Mariota has never thrown more than 453 passes in a season. There is a new coaching staff coming in this year and that could mean a change in scheme, but as a fan of Davis's talent, I'm worried he'll never see the 120-125+ targets needed to be a yearly WR1. Thoughts?
How could it not mean a change of scheme? You think the old regime left their playbooks and coaching philosophy in the meeting rooms?

Look at past stats, project forward. Ignore context. How are pass attempts per year something that was within the quarterback's control? Why do you think it is a stat that projects forward with a new staff? This would be super easy if we could boil it all down to a constant projection forward of attempts for Mariota and targets per year for Davis. Also would take all skill and fun out of this as well as any need to actually watch football.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am

The biggest obstacle for Corey Davis is himself at the moment, not the targets he is getting.
He needs to be healthy and then be able to perform.
Once he proves he deserves an influx of targets he will get them.

The competition for targets is not a lot - but this will probably be a run first team and Corey Davis is going to have to beat the top corner on teams in most weeks.

If you like Davis - be patient.

Everyone needs to stop the fantasy WR1 expectations for just about any highly drafted WR though. Realistically you should be hoping for a WR2 and then a WR1 should be considered a bonus, talented wide receivers are not at a shortage.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:28 am

If you include his playoff games, Davis was roughly on a 16 game 100 target pace as a rookie on a low volume passing offense, which ain't bad. Don't see why that can't go up. Probably eventually will be at the expense of Delanie as he is phased out of the offense.

Like it was mentioned above, it's going to matter more about how Davis performs with those targets that will dictate his success and future involvement.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:11 am

I think it's very unlikely Mariota continues to throw less than 500 passes for the duration of his career. Maybe another year or two but as should be expected, he will eventually take more control of that offense. So yes I think Davis can easily hit the 130+ range in the next 2-3 seasons.

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Corey Davis concerns?

Postby osubuckeyeman » Wed May 16, 2018 4:52 am

Kramer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:53 am
osubuckeyeman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:35 am Not concerned a bit. Titans drafted him 7th overall for a reason and he has to develop a bit. Not all rookies come out the gate like barn busters. He has flashed some of his skills and the injuries most likely slowed his development. He still seems to be a special prospect in my eyes and looking forward to his breakout.
They drafted him 5th overall.

I wouldn't worry too much about Davis. He's flashed some pretty nice catches so far this year. Mariota is having a bad year as well. Not sure how much injuries are affecting Mariota, but I don't believe he has been throwing deep much this year. Davis also hasn't had a chance to build rapport with Mariota. He was the 5th overall pick. Be patient. Trust the process.
Even better. :D

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am

btv802 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:01 am
StableOfRBs wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 am
btv802 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 pm Davis' rookie year was hot garbage if you zoom out on it and judge objectively. However, he put together quite a highlight reel of impressive individual plays
Sounds like Devante Parker
Haha yeah I imagine it accurately describes many rookie years of WRs taken with high draft capital, some who have achieved career success and some who have not. Could Corey Davis have a similar career path to Parker? Absolutely. Could Parker still have a great career? Absolutely.
I always kinda thought Parker was the Davis comp no one wanted to mention last year. Don't get me wrong, I thought Davis was more polished coming out, but their skillsets and size were pretty similar (to these amateur eyes) as prospects.

Like Parker after year 1, Davis is maintaining a lot of his value based on his highlight plays. Hopefully, he takes a step to being more consistent this year. If not, his value is going to follow the same path Parker's did after year 2.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 am

jtd1387 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am
btv802 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:01 am
StableOfRBs wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 am

Sounds like Devante Parker
Haha yeah I imagine it accurately describes many rookie years of WRs taken with high draft capital, some who have achieved career success and some who have not. Could Corey Davis have a similar career path to Parker? Absolutely. Could Parker still have a great career? Absolutely.
I always kinda thought Parker was the Davis comp no one wanted to mention last year. Don't get me wrong, I thought Davis was more polished coming out, but their skillsets and size were pretty similar (to these amateur eyes) as prospects.

Like Parker after year 1, Davis is maintaining a lot of his value based on his highlight plays. Hopefully, he takes a step to being more consistent this year. If not, his value is going to follow the same path Parker's did after year 2.
I loved Devante Parker coming out so doesn't bother me all that much.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 am

bumped for Mixon thread discussion.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 am

Been looking into WR's a bit and one interesting thing I found is there haven't been any tall (6'2"+) stud WR's that weigh 210lbs or less. Kind of an arbitrary number but I haven't found one, not recently at least. You can find some that put up good years (Sidney Rice) but none that have had long-term success. I tried looking up Randy Moss's combine weight but couldn't really find a reliable result, saw numbers ranging from 195-215 lbs. I didn't look back too far so maybe you guys could come up with some.

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 am

Allen Robinson (6'3 211) would be close, though he only has the one really good year.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 am

Kaz wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 am Allen Robinson (6'3 211) would be close, though he only has the one really good year.
He was 220lbs at the combine, 208 lbs at his pro day

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 am

Ah, I was going by rotoworld which lists him at 211.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Matthews is going to have the better season and is the far better value at his price.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06