Devin Funchess

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
j2cain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Devin Funchess

Postby j2cain » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am

I don't understand why people don't like him....he stepped up when needed, he was productive in college, athletic for his size, and still young. I will gladly take him as a WR2

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

darkadun wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 am Here’s a question for you long term dynasty players. (Since I’ve only played 3-r years).

Has any WR ever switched teams and gained a lot of value? As in the case with an RB like McKinnon this year. The first player that comes to mind is Randy Moss to the Patriots.

Aside from him, of current WRs who have switched teams the biggest jump in value that I saw was Marvin Jones, and that was after his great season last year. He went from an adp of 100+ to in the 50s. Outside of that, I didn’t see much. Cooks has maintained his value switching from team to team. Alshon has continually lost value despite being solid. Allen Robinson is an interesting case and kind of tbd at this point.

All of this is to say he may be a good sell mid season if he has a good start. Of course, that is risky if he ends up staying and signing long term. Once Olsen retires, he could be the main red zone target, which while not elite would carry good value.
Randy Moss actually lost a lot of value going from the Vikings to the Raiders first. Then gained his value back going to the Patriots, so it's only half true depending on which organizational change you look at.

As for other WRs gaining value after a team switch, you can say Brandon Marshall did when he went from Miami to Chicago, but that's a similar scenario to Moss because Marshall's value actually went down when he went from Denver to Miami first.

I'd say the best example would be Golden Tate, he gained value going from Seattle to Detroit.

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm

darkadun wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 am Here’s a question for you long term dynasty players. (Since I’ve only played 3-r years).

Has any WR ever switched teams and gained a lot of value? As in the case with an RB like McKinnon this year. The first player that comes to mind is Randy Moss to the Patriots.

Aside from him, of current WRs who have switched teams the biggest jump in value that I saw was Marvin Jones, and that was after his great season last year. He went from an adp of 100+ to in the 50s. Outside of that, I didn’t see much. Cooks has maintained his value switching from team to team. Alshon has continually lost value despite being solid. Allen Robinson is an interesting case and kind of tbd at this point.

All of this is to say he may be a good sell mid season if he has a good start. Of course, that is risky if he ends up staying and signing long term. Once Olsen retires, he could be the main red zone target, which while not elite would carry good value.
Wes Welker going from Mia to NE. Any SEA WR getting out. Emmanuel Sanders to Denver. That's just off the top of my head.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm

IBall2 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm
I'd say the best example would be Golden Tate, he gained value going from Seattle to Detroit.
*ahem*, Marvin Jones too

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm
IBall2 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm
*ahem*, Marvin Jones too
Terrell Owens is far and away the best example I can think of!

Stud in San Fran 5 1000 yard plus seasons
Stud in Philly 1000 yard plus one season 763 yards in 7 games in 2nd
Stud in Dallas 1000 yard plus in 3 seasons

153 TD's in career
Last edited by Ice on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Never been too impressed with Funchess. As others have said, he has proven me wrong in some areas. I think what boosts his value most this year will be his motivation to prove he deserves a good contract (wherever).

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 pm

I would pay a late first but I’d take all RBs other than Kerryon and both Ridley/Moore above him.

He surprised me last year but I don’t see his ceiling being to much higher in Carolina with the weapons they have. If he goes to a different team that’s something that might interest me.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 am

I'll agree that I see last season as Funchess' ceiling on CAR. The return of Olsen and the addition of Moore is going to eat into his target snaps. Maybe he becomes more efficient with them, but I don't really see a huge boost in his stats. I'd be interested if he could move to another team with a better passing offense. It's a good gamble with his contract nearing the end. At worst, he stays in Carolina and you have yourself a solid WR3/flex play... just depends on the price you have to pay for him, I suppose.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 am

Kaz wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 am I'll agree that I see last season as Funchess' ceiling on CAR. The return of Olsen and the addition of Moore is going to eat into his target snaps. Maybe he becomes more efficient with them, but I don't really see a huge boost in his stats. I'd be interested if he could move to another team with a better passing offense. It's a good gamble with his contract nearing the end. At worst, he stays in Carolina and you have yourself a solid WR3/flex play... just depends on the price you have to pay for him, I suppose.
I think this will affect him less than people think (this year). Moore is much like Funch was year 1. A very raw, albeit talented rookie that needs a lot of work before he becomes a consistent target in that offense.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Gil Brandt predicting Funch to get his first pro bowl nod this year. (Also projecting Barkley and Penny to go as rookies)
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

turkjetfan
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby turkjetfan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 am
Kaz wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 am I'll agree that I see last season as Funchess' ceiling on CAR. The return of Olsen and the addition of Moore is going to eat into his target snaps. Maybe he becomes more efficient with them, but I don't really see a huge boost in his stats. I'd be interested if he could move to another team with a better passing offense. It's a good gamble with his contract nearing the end. At worst, he stays in Carolina and you have yourself a solid WR3/flex play... just depends on the price you have to pay for him, I suppose.
I think this will affect him less than people think (this year). Moore is much like Funch was year 1. A very raw, albeit talented rookie that needs a lot of work before he becomes a consistent target in that offense.
Sorry but this is simply not true. Moore is hardly raw. In fact, he is regarded as the most NFL ready WR in the draft, and is expected to be able to make an impact year 1. This is from all of his scouting reports, as well as reports out of camp specifically backing up the notion he is ready to contribute. Moore is NOT raw at all. Sure, he has to work on his route tree a bit like all rookies, but he presents the ability to be a day 1 contributor, completely unlike Funchess.

He of course needs some time to reach his ceiling like all rookie WRs but he won't be a guy you need to wait a year or two on before you get production. Moore will be a WR3 out of the gate.
14 team 1 pt PPR

QB: Baker, Darnold
RB: Kareem, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, Ito Smith, Jay Ajayi, Damien Harris, CJ Anderson, Dion Lewis, Corey Clement
WR: Jarvis, DK Metcalf, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams, Kenny Stills, Donte Moncrief, David Moore, Hakeem Butler, Miles Boykin, Scott Miller, Anthony Johnson
TE: Hooper, Doyle, Jace Sternberger

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 am

turkjetfan wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 am
Sorry but this is simply not true. Moore is hardly raw. In fact, he is regarded as the most NFL ready WR in the draft, and is expected to be able to make an impact year 1. This is from all of his scouting reports, as well as reports out of camp specifically backing up the notion he is ready to contribute. Moore is NOT raw at all. Sure, he has to work on his route tree a bit like all rookies, but he presents the ability to be a day 1 contributor, completely unlike Funchess.

He of course needs some time to reach his ceiling like all rookie WRs but he won't be a guy you need to wait a year or two on before you get production. Moore will be a WR3 out of the gate.
Agreed.
Everything I’ve read is that Moore is super smooth and comfortable in all activities thus far. He seems to be well ahead of normal rookie accomplishments at this point.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I like Funchess probably more than most and own him on several teams but I don’t think he will replicate last seasons catch or yardage totals. I think Olsen being back will eat into those totals more than anything and of course Moore. I’m not really looking to sell though because if he leaves via FA, it could boost his stock up, imo. I’m holding unless I’m blown away by an offer.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Every year people act like there is a definite target "pie" and that the targets to a player like Funchess will be hurt for by players like Olsen and Moore. I rail against this over and over and it comes up over and over. If they all don't have the same role a healthy offense benefits everyone. Better offense equals more first downs, longer time of possession, more pass attempts (targets), more yards, more receptions, more touchdowns. It benefits every WR to have a good WR on the other side and a good TE because then defenses won't concentrate on taking that one WR away.

I think situation is the best thing Funchess has going for him to be honest.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

tombonneau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby tombonneau » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:48 pm

j2cain wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am I don't understand why people don't like him....he stepped up when needed, he was productive in college, athletic for his size, and still young. I will gladly take him as a WR2
Me neither. Bought him for a song midseason and plugged him in at WR2 en route to championship. Passed the eye test on games I watched. And bonus points for gutting it out end of season when he was hurt but they were desperate for wr play.

But he's one of those players negatively impacted by perceived value who is worth more on your team than he is in the open market.