Penny will lead in touches in a committee
52%

Total votes: 94

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition ***POLL***

Postby _yeti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am

Hear me out. So, recently I drafted Chris Carson in a MFL10 best ball league and was talking about it with a friend and he said, "WHY? Maybe as your 6th RB..."

I have had a pretty good track record with sleeper RBs and I still think he will have a useful career, maybe not as a bellcow three-down guy, but will be plenty statistically relevant. Why?

Size/Speed/Physicality. There are plenty of backs his size (6'1 227 lbs) but not all size is created equal. Carson is what's known as "swoll-jacked" and/or "yoked" ( :lol: ) I passed on him originally bc in college I saw an upright runner who was trying to outrun/make people miss. When he went undrafted, he knew the odds were long against him. But he could easily see what Thomas Rawls had done and he followed that blueprint. When the Seahawks told him they wanted him to play physical, go north to south and run through people, he obliged and was that rare player that looked BETTER in the pros than in college highlight tapes. He seemed faster, caught the ball well enough, and most importantly had the heft on his 6'1 frame to deliver blows and keep ticking that I feel the 5'9 Rawls could not.

Then comes the unfortunate leg injury and in comes a Round 1 RB. I like Penny. I don't think Carson beats him out, outright. I think Carson adds enough to force a committee role for himself. It is football and if Penny goes down, Carson will be a 3-down back. If Carson goes down again instead, well that might start to be the end for him. If he stays healthy and forces a committee role, I DEFINITELY see a team wanting to invest in him after he is done in Seattle (like a McKinnon backup to starter role, or at least into a 1a/1b type situation).

Carson has been running with the 1s, and while that is not unusual to happen to rookies (Zeke didn't immediately run with the 1s either), I think it is notable because Carroll has been talking him up like crazy and he added 10 lbs of muscle and apparently got after his rehab like a young A.P.

Some will say, yea, well Carroll is the king of coach-speak. True, but last year he talked up Carson all summer and "it was just coach speak" to many but I believed. Then Carson became pretty much a 3-down back before his injury. We know it is a team that loves to run the ball and I believe Carson has a committee role and a bigger role coming in his next contract.

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE.... YEA!
Last edited by _yeti on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 am

Definitely worth a flier late in best ball drafts. Long-term little upside in Seattle unless something crazy happens to Penny. He will continuously get chances over the next 2-3 seasons ahead of Carson.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am

Carson definitely has a chance to carve out a role and could possibly start the season as the lead back. Both he and Penny are clearly the top dogs in the RB group, so Mike Davis and CJ Prosise should be concerned and better show well at camp. One of them likely will be cut.

I think McKissic is safe as a gadget/role-player due to his versatility to make the roster, though he won't offer any fantasy appeal.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

And now reports Carson is working with the first team offense, ahead of Penny.

May not last, obviously, but lends some credence to the coach speak.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=159099&start=15

Bet still on! Still a bit of a long shot, but better odds than when this post came out. ^
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

jeffster wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am And now reports Carson is working with the first team offense, ahead of Penny.

May not last, obviously, but lends some credence to the coach speak.
Penny is also working with the 1's. Off-season beat reporters are dangerous, be careful.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Penny has basically made him an after thought. Great sneaky buy low-what the heck flier IMO

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm

I feel like this is the same thing we went through with Rawls.

BlackOmega
All Pro
All Pro

Postby BlackOmega » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm I feel like this is the same thing we went through with Rawls.
I had the same thought

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Seattle hasn't shown much loyalty to any of their RBs since Lynch. Although Penny is of course an RB they've invested more in than ever before in terms of draft capital in the Carroll era, Seattle's history of quick turnover with RBs is nonetheless something Penny dynasty owners would be wise to keep in mind going forward.

Seems to me Seattle always wants to blame the RBs first and foremost when they struggle to be consistent behind their awful O-line (Carroll's staff seems to be in denial regarding their O-line talent evaluation). If Penny struggles too, I wonder how long his leash will be.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:42 am

_yeti wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am Image

Hear me out. So, recently I drafted Chris Carson in a MFL10 best ball league and was talking about it with a friend and he said, "WHY? Maybe as your 6th RB..."

I have had a pretty good track record with sleeper RBs and I still think he will have a useful career, maybe not as a bellcow three-down guy, but will be plenty statistically relevant. Why?

Size/Speed/Physicality. There are plenty of backs his size (6'1 227 lbs) but not all size is created equal. Carson is what's known as "swoll-jacked" and/or "yoked" ( :lol: ) I passed on him originally bc in college I saw an upright runner who was trying to outrun/make people miss. When he went undrafted, he knew the odds were long against him. But he could easily see what Thomas Rawls had done and he followed that blueprint. When the Seahawks told him they wanted him to play physical, go north to south and run through people, he obliged and was that rare player that looked BETTER in the pros than in college highlight tapes. He seemed faster, caught the ball well enough, and most importantly had the heft on his 6'1 frame to deliver blows and keep ticking that I feel the 5'9 Rawls could not.

Then comes the unfortunate leg injury and in comes a Round 1 RB. I like Penny. I don't think Carson beats him out, outright. I think Carson adds enough to force a committee role for himself. It is football and if Penny goes down, Carson will be a 3-down back. If Carson goes down again instead, well that might start to be the end for him. If he stays healthy and forces a committee role, I DEFINITELY see a team wanting to invest in him after he is done in Seattle (like a McKinnon backup to starter role, or at least into a 1a/1b type situation).

Carson has been running with the 1s, and while that is not unusual to happen to rookies (Zeke didn't immediately run with the 1s either), I think it is notable because Carroll has been talking him up like crazy and he added 10 lbs of muscle and apparently got after his rehab like a young A.P.

Some will say, yea, well Carroll is the king of coach-speak. True, but last year he talked up Carson all summer and "it was just coach speak" to many but I believed. Then Carson became pretty much a 3-down back before his injury. We know it is a team that loves to run the ball and I believe Carson has a committee role and a bigger role coming in his next contract.

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE.... YEA!
He talked up Carson last year, but left him behind Rawls & Prosise on the depth chart until they went down (Prosise) or proved useless (Rawls). Carroll isn't so much a coach-speak guy as a positive motivation guy, so he likes to pump up guys he sees trying hard in practice. Carson certainly seemed to do a lot with his opportunity last year, but then the team, who has a lot of needs, spent a lot of capital on his position. Carson could still slide into a role due to injuries to those ahead of him, but I'm not too high on his ability to usurp Penny's role. I'm also not totally dismissing Prosise if he can stay healthy.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 am

BlackOmega wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Phaded wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm I feel like this is the same thing we went through with Rawls.
I had the same thought
It is, with one key difference as it applies to the most important person involved (ME) :wink: :lol:

The huge Rawls thread was a thread I started too and was my most active topic, with me taking on all comers and adamantly saying he was being overrated.
viewtopic.php?t=115576

Another difference was I was saying the organization would move on from Rawls before the type of capital spent on Penny.

I am not saying here that Carson becomes the Seahawks feature back. I am saying he forces a role and remains a viable dynasty asset on his next team also, compared to a Rawls who flamed out. I was saying Rawls would move into a pure backup role, where I think Carson offers enough to be a very intriguing option for teams who could use a big back who can bang in touchdowns and short yardage but also not telegraph run to the other side. As the league moves to valuing these finesse pass catchers so much, they still need guys that can bang and he brings a lot more to the table than the vastly overrated Legarrette Blount (for example). Look at the career Blount has had. Even now people expect him to have a role while expecting Kerryon to be the real back to own. I could see a future for Carson bouncing around teams like Blount had. Is it Zeke, Saquon? Is it the new shiny Guice, Penny, Chubb? No. But it is a fraction of the cost and if he provide years of Blount-like production, then there is still value there.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 am

Fringe handcuff lottery ticket in case of injury, sure. We all roster guys like that just in case.

But it's the Penny show.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 am

_yeti wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 amThe huge Rawls thread was a thread I started too and was my most active topic, with me taking on all comers and adamantly saying he was being overrated.
viewtopic.php?t=115576
I remember that thread. A bunch of talk for a scrub RB. I read it once in a while and just shook my head that so many people gave a damn about a guy who doesn't have what it takes to be a long-term stud.

This thread as well: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116916

Side note: Skip & I are always right, I swear to god. Individually, we're pretty good, but an agreement together on a topic is basically locked in. We were out-voted heavily (26-7) in this one and didn't flinch. Those who listened to us in that thread came away a winner.

I don't know skip's views on Chris Carson but I bet we agree yet again: He's a career backup at best. The Seahawks drafted a RB in the 1st round for a reason. The only way Carson takes over is with injuries, and even then, he'll only have value for a short duration.

Move along, sir. Nothing to see here.
Last edited by MEuRaH on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134