Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Wow, Penny to the Seahawks

Postby Jason3123 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Tsunami wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:51 pm
Jason3123 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am Chris Thompson is a nice little player who has been injured since college. His contract expires after 2019. Last season he averaged 13.1 YPR (outlier). Before that he averaged 6.9 and 7.1 the 2 years prior. Guice is a superior talent and even if he doesn't have the 3rd down role, Perine still managed 22 catches last season. Guice can easily get 30+ catches with Chris Thompson playing. And again, betting on Thompson to play 32 games the next 2 years is a suckers bet. And one more thing, Guice is a lock for 200+ carries barring injury. Thompson gets 60-70 carries max. Guice gets into the 220-250 range plus 25-30 catches and you're talking about an every week starter in fantasy football, for a rookie, which is awesome. He will kick Thompson to the curb eventually because Thompson is a 27 year old tiny scat back with a rough injury history. And Guice is a primo highly drafted RB. Stop fading Guice in DYNASTY for Chris Thompson. If you want to bump him down for redraft for 2018, fine, you should do that with all rookies though. Guice is a rock solid #2/#3 pick in dynasty rookie drafts.
2019 is two full seasons, exactly how far ahead do you look when you draft a RB? The position is too volatile for me to take someone who might improve in 2020 over someone who will have every opportunity right now. Thompson has played 39 games the last 3 years, that's not a terrible track record for a RB. As for Guice being a "primo highly drafted RB" you're arguing to take him before RBs that went a full round earlier and are in better situations. It's not as easy a call as you seem to think.
My argument for Guice is that if you had him as your #2, or #1 RB before the draft, I don't think you should change your opinion on him because of his "perceived" situation. He isn't in a Derrick Henry situation. He's going to get 225-250+ carries. Chris Thompson might affect his PPR upside, or Chris Thompson could be irrelevant. We don't know. I personally don't think Chris Thompson is a big threat. He is a nice little player who in my opinion probably peaked statistically last year.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 am

Dragging a defender and still faster than Kerryon :lol:

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 am Seattle's run-blocking is a dumpster fire (31st in '17 and 26th in '16 in Adjusted Line Yards) that the front-office again made no effort at all to address this offseason, but my primary concern with Penny is that his tape isn't actually as impressive as his (fresh) hype and stats. Even his much ballyhooed yards-after-contact stat appears to be a mirage when you actually look at the long runs which inflated that metric for him. Make no mistake, Penny is not the same caliber of tackle breaker as Chubb and Guice.

I liked Penny a lot more when I thought he would be a sleeper I could acquire without a premium pick.
This
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Rosenbluu wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 am Seattle's run-blocking is a dumpster fire (31st in '17 and 26th in '16 in Adjusted Line Yards) that the front-office again made no effort at all to address this offseason, but my primary concern with Penny is that his tape isn't actually as impressive as his (fresh) hype and stats. Even his much ballyhooed yards-after-contact stat appears to be a mirage when you actually look at the long runs which inflated that metric for him. Make no mistake, Penny is not the same caliber of tackle breaker as Chubb and Guice.

I liked Penny a lot more when I thought he would be a sleeper I could acquire without a premium pick.
This
Actually not this. If you dig into the line it was drastically better over the second half of the season than the first half. They also grabbed Fluker and the best blocking TE this off season and then drafted the best blocking TE in the draft.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Bot101 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

This
Actually not this. If you dig into the line it was drastically better over the second half of the season than the first half. They also grabbed Fluker and the best blocking TE this off season and then drafted the best blocking TE in the draft.
And they've got a new line coach in Solari who's done pretty well in his stops around the league. It will be a different look and scheme on the o-line this year and whether or not it's an improvement remains to be seen. But the narrative of "Their line sucked last year, so it will suck this year," is just lazy. As pointed out, the front office has made an effort to shake-up the O-line. And improve their overall run blocking downfield as well.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm

This
And they've got a new line coach in Solari who's done pretty well in his stops around the league. It will be a different look and scheme on the o-line this year and whether or not it's an improvement remains to be seen. But the narrative of "Their line sucked last year, so it will suck this year," is just lazy. As pointed out, the front office has made an effort to shake-up the O-line. And improve their overall run blocking downfield as well.
Yep and fired that turd Cable. The "Seattle Oline is trash" is really hive mind thinking and quite lazy. It isnt hard to Google things to ascertain the truth.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Bot101 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm The "Seattle Oline is trash" is really hive mind thinking and quite lazy. It isnt hard to Google things to ascertain the truth.
So you’re saying they’re good enough to create a Penny Lane?
Maybe we should call their OL the Beatles 8-)

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Bot101 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Yep and fired that turd Cable. The "Seattle Oline is trash" is really hive mind thinking and quite lazy. It isnt hard to Google things to ascertain the truth.
Time will tell. I hope you're right, because I'm a fan of Russell Wilson's and like Penny a lot, but there are way more question marks on that oline than players known to be even average blockers. Duane Brown is their only above average lineman and injuries are starting to rack up for him, Jamarco Jones might be decent but going in the 5th makes me skeptical , Fluker hasn't been a good (or even average) lineman in 3 years, Justin Britt is average/below average at center, Joeckel is terrible, Ifedi is a huge bust, and Pocic looks on his way to being a bust as well (granted its only been a year for him and the second year is often a big improvement year). However, the point remains, they basically need tremendous improvement across their line to even get to average (Solari does have a good rep, so maybe he does improve the line, but A LOT of improvement is needed).

The previous post referring to Ed Dickson as the best blocking tight end is way off base. Dickson is an ok pass blocker, but he has historically been an awful run blocker (I'd agree on the Dissly point though, he probably is the best blocker at tight end from the draft).
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 pm

I'll also say this though. Even if their oline is still terrible this year, it wont be terrible forever, so to drastically hold it against Penny is definitely an overreaction, though it is an important factor in the short term.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm
Bot101 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Time will tell. I hope you're right, because I'm a fan of Russell Wilson's and like Penny a lot, but there are way more question marks on that oline than players known to be even average blockers. Duane Brown is their only above average lineman and injuries are starting to rack up for him, Jamarco Jones might be decent but going in the 5th makes me skeptical , Fluker hasn't been a good (or even average) lineman in 3 years, Justin Britt is average/below average at center, Joeckel is terrible, Ifedi is a huge bust, and Pocic looks on his way to being a bust as well (granted its only been a year for him and the second year is often a big improvement year). However, the point remains, they basically need tremendous improvement across their line to even get to average (Solari does have a good rep, so maybe he does improve the line, but A LOT of improvement is needed).

The previous post referring to Ed Dickson as the best blocking tight end is way off base. Dickson is an ok pass blocker, but he has historically been an awful run blocker (I'd agree on the Dissly point though, he probably is the best blocker at tight end from the draft).

Yes my mistake. I had meant he was the best blocking TE available in FA. I hadnt realized when I read he was good at blocking it was in pass blocking not run blocking.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 am

Valhalla wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 pm
Bot101 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm The "Seattle Oline is trash" is really hive mind thinking and quite lazy. It isnt hard to Google things to ascertain the truth.
So you’re saying they’re good enough to create a Penny Lane?
Maybe we should call their OL the Beatles 8-)
That was one of the best ones yet - coming onto this thread and seeing these fun puns is like finding a Lucky Penny. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:46 am

:doh:

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 am

This
TEs that can block are great but this still a lot of other pieces that need some fixing for them to improve upon. Also was referring to Penny’s abilities as a runner, he doesn’t excite me when I watch his film nor is his tackle breaking ability that even has touted him for, half of the runs he barely gets touched.

As stated above I liked Penny in the later round of the 1st as a sleeper, I wouldn’t pick him before 1.05 if I had the pick and if I did I would personally be looking to sell high when I could.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am

What's a low value commodity that depreciates more over time? Penny. That's the best I could come up with. I'll end with that lame joke

tstats
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby tstats » Fri May 18, 2018 10:01 am

A Penny for your thoughts........