Did the Giants blow it?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Did the Giants blow it?

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 am

Not really a fantasy discussion, but did the Giants blow it by passing on a QB in Round 1?

Granted, I think Barkley is going to be amazing and could become the top back in football. But, you have a 37-year-old Eli Manning and this is a top heavy QB class. To me, this seems like a rare chance for them to get that QB and build for the future. Who knows when a similar class like this will occur.

hankmurphy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Did the Giants blow it?

Postby hankmurphy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am

Are any of the 2018 class consensus franchise QBs?

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:19 am

Lauletta is very good. I think they're draft has been quietly very good.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22 am

Big time, they basically threw their future in the gutter. Barkley is amazing, he is going to be one of the best backs in football for a long time I suspect. But Eli is on his last legs, you think OBJ wants to sign in NY if he has Geno smith and Dobbs throwing to him? no way. Unless Barkley can get 3000 all purpose yards year in and year out he will not be able to carry such an awful team. A guy like Sam Darnold or even Rosen have franchise QB potential, and that potential you dont pass up on. I am a firm believer that RBs are not with an early draft pick. Comparable production can come from day 2 guys, its cheaper in both draft capital and salary cap.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:15 am

Yes. They did.

I get the Barkley hype but I'm not sure the Giants will be in that position again soon.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 am

Whereas the last few years there was a definite shortage of QBs, I think this year there might be a few starter-worthy prospects on the bench. The Jets are going to start McCown and just drafted Darnold, which leaves Teddy Bridgewater possibly available, not to mention Bryce Petty. The Cardinals signed Glennon and Bradford and then drafted Rosen, so one of them could be on the outs too. I also think the success of Prescott, Wilson, and Carr means you don't need to go top-3 to get a good starter these days. The Giants took the best player in the draft, that's always a win. That's what the Browns should have done, and taken their QB at 4.

Should you be asking the same question about the Patriots or Chargers or Saints?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:42 am

I think where the Giants screwed up was in not even supposedly listening to offers for the pick. What would Denver, Arizona or Buffalo given to get Darnold? Could they have gotten great future value like GB did?

That said, I do like the Lauletta pick later on.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:43 am

Tsunami wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 am Whereas the last few years there was a definite shortage of QBs, I think this year there might be a few starter-worthy prospects on the bench. The Jets are going to start McCown and just drafted Darnold, which leaves Teddy Bridgewater possibly available, not to mention Bryce Petty. The Cardinals signed Glennon and Bradford and then drafted Rosen, so one of them could be on the outs too. I also think the success of Prescott, Wilson, and Carr means you don't need to go top-3 to get a good starter these days. The Giants took the best player in the draft, that's always a win. That's what the Browns should have done, and taken their QB at 4.

Should you be asking the same question about the Patriots or Chargers or Saints?
Strongly disagree with this. If they believe Baker is a franchise QB you take him. If he becomes their franchise QB, he becomes the best player in the draft. QB's are different because there is way more projection involved compared to RB. Saquon is basically what he is, he may improve a little over the first year or two, but a QB can grow a lot more. If they had Baker as the clear cut best QB option, now way do you let him out of your grasp for any other position.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:18 pm

I loooooooooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeee Barkley. Love him. But the Giants messed up. They hemorrhaged their future to try and win now, but they simply don't have the defense or QB to win now. So they sold their future to go 8-8 for the next two years and then take 5 years to be relevant after that. That's a tough pill to swallow even if Barkley is amazing (which he will be) and the he'll bounce after his rookie contract because why would he stay?

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes, but it's not the end of the world if they're starting Tyrod or Bradford or Teddy B next year

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 pm

guyatwork37 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:18 pm I loooooooooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeee Barkley. Love him. But the Giants messed up. They hemorrhaged their future to try and win now, but they simply don't have the defense or QB to win now. So they sold their future to go 8-8 for the next two years and then take 5 years to be relevant after that. That's a tough pill to swallow even if Barkley is amazing (which he will be) and the he'll bounce after his rookie contract because why would he stay?
They had a great defense the year before. Not ready to 1write them off as a unit- New front office giving guys like Eli Apple a 2nd chance.

Almost ready to call the Giants a sleeper this year. Eli in a friendly scheme with a year of Barkley and Odell could be all they need on offense.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm Yes, but it's not the end of the world if they're starting Tyrod or Bradford or Teddy B next year
:shock: it's not?

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:02 pm

it'd be a nice upgrade for you, DD :)