Total votes: 106

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Re: START-UP guy has gone radio silent, how to handle

Postby jeaton6 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am
treble83 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 am
jeaton6 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 am He got what he deserved.

What does this mean? Did Commish boot him despite several pages of advice and 73 votes to the contrary? If that is the case than no need to come back to this site looking for advice.
:lol: This whole thing is still very confusing, the hatred jeaton has towards this guy just makes no sense. He was livid before the guy even used the full time on his first pick.
It’s really not confusing if you actually have read the posts.

1) My post that was quoted here was related to the other guys situation.
2) You are confusing yourself, the so-called “hatred” you are claiming I have is towards whom? The guy in my league or this other situation?
3) Livid before the guys timer ran out? Lol. Nothing in any of my posts has indicated being “livid”. In particular related to my leagues situation.
Team 1 (Sunday Collisions): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 27 Roster
**6 straight championships**
QB: Allen, Watson, Prescott, Purdy, Darnold, Ridder
RB: Taylor, Ekeler, Mixon, Cook, Mattison, Kelley, Blackshear
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay
TE: Kelce, Ruckert
PK: Bass, Dicker
DEF: Ravens, Jets, Chiefs, Bucs
2023 Picks: 2.5

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

QB: Burrow, Cousins
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton
TE: Kelce, Hockenson, Engram
PK: Gano, Succop
DEF: Jets, Bucs
Taxi: Airton, Likely, Ferguson
2023 Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2,3, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

treble83 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:44 am
jeaton6 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 am First off you aren’t in the league so you really don’t have enough information to make that statement. That is all.
:thumbdown:

Actually I do have enough information.. You provided that in OP... The only information that I really needed was that it was a 12 hour window for picks and you were harassing the man halfway through his time. :wall: :wall: :wall:
[/quote

Hate to break it to you but the world isn’t black and white.
Team 1 (Sunday Collisions): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 27 Roster
**6 straight championships**
QB: Allen, Watson, Prescott, Purdy, Darnold, Ridder
RB: Taylor, Ekeler, Mixon, Cook, Mattison, Kelley, Blackshear
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay
TE: Kelce, Ruckert
PK: Bass, Dicker
DEF: Ravens, Jets, Chiefs, Bucs
2023 Picks: 2.5

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

QB: Burrow, Cousins
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton
TE: Kelce, Hockenson, Engram
PK: Gano, Succop
DEF: Jets, Bucs
Taxi: Airton, Likely, Ferguson
2023 Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2,3, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm

jeaton6 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 am
skip wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm
jordanzs wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm In round 3 of the draft, he totally got sniped right before his pick. So he said that his pick was on the clock & he wanted to move back. Nobody wanted to move up. He then said "I will not be picking here, and I'm prepared to take my full time unless someone trades into my pick". For the 12 hours, he popped in, popped out, etc.

The leaguemates (myself included) turned on him. Private messages along the line of "this guy is a real douchebag" were flying.
The strategy he was employing is very commonplace. Had an owner in one league that would do it every season usually early in the draft. You and your leaguemates were in the wrong here.
Had he not advertised what he was doing then I would agree, however he did and it is a dick move. The leaguemates are 100% correct. He got what he deserved.
Well your reply here goes right back to your initial post. Clearly you don't have the patience to deal with anyone that wants to use their entire a time limit in whatever fashion they choose. I like a draft to move along fairly quickly and smoothly as well. But I guess I don't see the time limit as a "worst case scenario". There is nothing justified in the actions and reactions of people who were coming down on an owner who chooses to use their full-time.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Unless a guy is just being a d*ck. If he'd have said, "I'm gonna wait out my time, because I think someone will come around and make a better offer..." that's totally cool. But just blowing everyone off just doesn't cut it in my book.

Rules don't make great leagues, good owners do. It means being reasonable, both on the giving end and the receiving end. I don't begrudge anyone for taking their sweet time doing research, negotiating, or even waiting on offers.... And of course if life or a horny wife keeps them away from the league site. But don't take everyone else's time and interest for granted and throw it in their faces.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:45 pm Unless a guy is just being a d*ck. If he'd have said, "I'm gonna wait out my time, because I think someone will come around and make a better offer..." that's totally cool. But just blowing everyone off just doesn't cut it in my book.
Are we getting an actual direct quote? Or a different interpretation? How do we know it wasn't exactly what you stated? Frankly, I suspect that's exactly what it was. The owner got sniped and wanted to wait out the clock to see if he got an offer. I had an owner sit on the clock without a timer for 3 days once hoping for the same outcome. Were we happy about it? No. But we weren't going to harass him to make his pick or threaten to kick him out of the league.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Who knows what was actually said, it doesn't matter actually. We are discussing the theory of this, and I'm saying if a guy basically says he's not picking just out of spite, then that's not kosher. Almost all other scenarios of taking ones time are totally fine with me.

As someone else said, communication is a key part of this as well. If a guy is on the clock and has given notice that he's doing something, even if its jus waiting for a better offer, that's really will go a long way in getting most guys off his back. There's alsways a few guys who have ants in their pans, and can't be patient. It's up to the Commish to make sure that they don't harass someone who is taking his time.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:18 pm

jeaton6 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am In start-up, Guy was on GroupMe said he was researching pick and we don’t hear from him at all. We reach out to him multiple times over the next 8 hours and hear nothing. He then either was autopicked or picked right before 12 hour expiration (6 minutes to spare, we cannot tell which is the case). He is now up again and it has been 5 hours no responses to PM, etc. Rules state 12 hours per pick but this is getting ridiculous. I’ve suggested we 1) tell him you have “x” amount of time to acknowledge you are OTC or it you will be set to autopick until you do so. 2) replace him now rather than the team getting autopicked the rest of then draft.

So what’s the play here?
As for the OP, the situation described was one where the league was not sure whether the guy was even still participating in the draft. It wasn't a scenario where the guy was being a d*ck, no one knew even if he was still a participant. So that's an entirely different issue from what we've been discussing for the last 7 pages.

:crazy:

In that kind of scenario, I would advise the Commish to freeze the draft and confirm whether the owner is out of the league or just taking his time or relying on Auto-Draft for some reason or another (which is totally acceptable).

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:26 pm

The way this jeaton guy is suddenly getting so defensive is comical to me.

BelichekYourSelf
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby BelichekYourSelf » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Very entertaining thread. I love how the OP was so ready to try and kick the owner out of the league or change the rules in the middle of the draft for .... an owner making picks within the allowed time limit? ... I get wanting to speed a draft up, but really? Is waiting 12 hours in April going to kill you? If I was doing a start-up where a bunch of little kids were throwing hissy fits about me not picking fast enough I'd leave. Not worth dealing with such immaturity.
12 Team. Roster 22, 4 TS. PPR, TE Prem (1.75). Start 1 QB, 5 flex (2 RB Max), 1 Def, 1 K
QB P. Mahomes, J. Goff, B Zappe (TS)
RB S. Barkley, N. Chubb, R. Stevenson, T. Pollard, J. Cook, K. Herbert, A. Mattison, E. Mitchell
WR AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, C. Kupp, A. Cooper, D. Hopkins, DJ Moore, B. Aiyuk, R. Doubs, K. Boutte (TS), C. Tillman (TS), M. Wilson (TS)
TE M. Andrews
Def Patriots, Ravens

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Think some of you are off target here. Read the OP. Jeaton was getting input about a guy who might have gone awol. Later it turns out that the guy just took his time and didn't bother to do the courteous thing and communicate with the league.

:nono:

In a low stakes league where guys are playing for the fun of it, you can take your time, but you better have a reason, any reason, and let the league know. Not sure what's controversial about that.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:24 pm didn't bother to do the courteous thing and communicate with the league.
How do we know it didn't take the full time because he had no access? Thus no ability to communicate? We are only getting one side of the story.

As to the other scenario, it does matter what was said. Jordanz provided a quote. Is that verbatim what was said? Or was it that the player he wanted was gone and he would wait out the clock for an offer before making a pick? I've had that happen in quite possibly every league I've participated in nearly every season. That's commonplace. I may not like it, but it happens a lot.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Your right. We don't have many facts, and only one side of the story. That's why I'm trying to speak more on a macro-level, than just addressing this specific incident. It would certainly be interesting to get the other guy involved in this thread.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:23 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:24 pm Think some of you are off target here. Read the OP. Jeaton was getting input about a guy who might have gone awol. Later it turns out that the guy just took his time and didn't bother to do the courteous thing and communicate with the league.
jeaton6 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am In start-up, Guy was on GroupMe said he was researching pick
He did communicate within the first few hours. People continue to ignore this fact. If he didn't communicate after the multiple messages from multiple different owners about why he wasn't immediately picking a player after he already said he was researching players I can't say I blame him based on the discourse from jeaton in this thread. If Jeaton didn't come here wanting to boot the guy from the league after taking the full time just once (which is an insane idea) then maybe I'd be more on his side. Who knows what types of messages this dude has gotten from these people or if they're mulling about booting him from the league in the groupme chat. Jeaton keeps saying "he did it on purpose he did it on purpose!" but can anyone tell me what that even means?

treble83
Starter
Starter

Postby treble83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 am

jeaton6 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm It’s not so much about the time, but about the lack of common courtesy and the fact that he did it on purpose. And it was not done on purpose because a few people reached out to him to see what gives (I.e. “harassed” as some of the thinner skinned dudes like to call it LMAO).
:wtf: :lol: :lol: :doh:

Thinner skinned dudes!? Like the one's that were crying because a league mate was taking too long to make picks and threatening to boot him for it? Then proceeds to jump down the throats of anyone that questions their logic or reasoning? I agree.. That takes some thin skin.
Team One:
2QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, 2 FLEX, PK, DEF 10 Team
QB: J. Garoppolo, R. Tannehill, R. Wilson, T. Tagavaiola
RB: S. Barkley, T. Charbonnet, A. Ekeler, K. Gainwell, D. Henry, A. Kamara, J. Kelley, D. Montgomery, S. Perine
WR: G. Davis, I. Hodgins, D. Hopkins, C. Kupp, K. Raymond, A. St Brown, A. Thielen, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: M. Andrews, G. Everett, D. Knox, D. Schultz, D. Waller
TAXI:T. Chandler, E. Dotson, J. McLaughlin, D. Ridder

Team Two:
0-2QB, 8-10 FLEX 12 Team
QB: J. Fields, W. Levis, M. Stafford, T. Taylor
RB: T. Allgeier, S. Barkley, T. Bigsby, T. Etienne, Z. Evans, R. Mostert, I. Pacheco, M. Sanders
WR: B. Cooks, G. Davis, V. Jefferson, T. McLaurin, J. Meyers, D.J. Moore, D. Parker, B. Powell, J. Reynolds, L. Shenault, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: J. Smith, D. Waller

treble83
Starter
Starter

Postby treble83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:23 am Jeaton keeps saying "he did it on purpose he did it on purpose!" but can anyone tell me what that even means?
You'll have to ask an elementary school teacher. I'm sure they hear that a lot!
Team One:
2QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, 2 FLEX, PK, DEF 10 Team
QB: J. Garoppolo, R. Tannehill, R. Wilson, T. Tagavaiola
RB: S. Barkley, T. Charbonnet, A. Ekeler, K. Gainwell, D. Henry, A. Kamara, J. Kelley, D. Montgomery, S. Perine
WR: G. Davis, I. Hodgins, D. Hopkins, C. Kupp, K. Raymond, A. St Brown, A. Thielen, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: M. Andrews, G. Everett, D. Knox, D. Schultz, D. Waller
TAXI:T. Chandler, E. Dotson, J. McLaughlin, D. Ridder

Team Two:
0-2QB, 8-10 FLEX 12 Team
QB: J. Fields, W. Levis, M. Stafford, T. Taylor
RB: T. Allgeier, S. Barkley, T. Bigsby, T. Etienne, Z. Evans, R. Mostert, I. Pacheco, M. Sanders
WR: B. Cooks, G. Davis, V. Jefferson, T. McLaurin, J. Meyers, D.J. Moore, D. Parker, B. Powell, J. Reynolds, L. Shenault, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: J. Smith, D. Waller