McCarron wins his grievance, now a FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

McCarron wins his grievance, now a FA

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:17 pm

So he won his appeal, and is now free to sign with any team.

Anything to see here? What do you think would be his best destination(s)? Will Cleveland make a play for him after the trade debacle of 2017?
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: McCarron wins his grievance, now a FA

Postby AussieMate » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm

God I hope not, that would be the end of me defending the browns

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:31 pm

I think he'll struggle to find a buyer. He's likely behind Cousins, Keenum and probably Bridgewater as a long term option. As a bridge QB, he's probably behind McCown & Bradford as well. All this, with a wealth of rookie QBs and the stink of the Mike Glennon contract fresh on people's minds. Maybe Hue Jackson convinces the owner to blow up the QB position and bring in McCarron to bridge to a rookie while jumping ship on Kessler & Kizer, but man would that be stupid...
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Meh - I just do not think he is very good.
Bad year to hit FA with a deep draft, some FAs and trade targets.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:38 pm

He'll get a chance somewhere as a bridge QB. His former OC was obviously very high on him (which I know doesn't count for much since it's Hue, but it is something). If he gets in the right system he could be a decent SF flier. I wouldn't give anything for him in a 1QB league though, no matter where he goes.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

He'd be an idiot to go anywhere that looks like they will draft a high profile rookie QB even if they're offering more money. As an owner in a superflex league I'm thinking Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, Vikings might be a good landing spots.

I’ll add I think he’s closer to Cousins than he is to Glennon
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 pm

I think he’s better than people think. Hopefully he gets a one year prove it deal in a good spot like the Broncos.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:32 pm

I could see the Browns going after him and passing on a QB in the draft...which would be a huge mistake.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:32 pm I could see the Browns going after him and passing on a QB in the draft...which would be a huge mistake.
Indeed that would be a massive mistake.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

There are many other options I would take this year over McCarron. I think he’s likely to sign to a team being told there will be an open competition (no one is likely to outright hand him a starting job) and he’ll end up losing out in the starting gig, remaining a backup.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 pm

I think if the Browns are out of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, they should sign McCarron and draft Josh Allen.

Of the top 4 QB's, Allen has the most upside but also needs time to develop. I think McCarron would be a solid bridge option. As said above, no one is giving McCarron the starting gig outright, but I think he has talent to start in this league.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Madadamus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 pm I think if the Browns are out of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, they should sign McCarron and draft Josh Allen.

Of the top 4 QB's, Allen has the most upside but also needs time to develop. I think McCarron would be a solid bridge option. As said above, no one is giving McCarron the starting gig outright, but I think he has talent to start in this league.
I’ve been cheering for the Browns to turn it around for years now but if they did this I think I would have to stop needlessly suffering. Allen might have the biggest arm but look around the league and tell me that’s what matters...
Rodgers has a killer arm, sure...but it’s not what makes him. The ability to rapidly process the defense both pre and post snap is FAR more crucial than a big arm, and I don’t believe that can simply be coached.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Curious how anything can be said about his talent level with any certainty, he's had 133 career attempts and he was a 5th round pick so it's not like he was some crazy high prospect before he got drafted. Based on his numbers/play so far (and again, small sample size, so he could be a different player over a full season) he's been fairly unimpressive to me. I think the whole Browns trying to trade a 2nd and 3rd or whatever for him will give him an artificial worth when teams are sending him offers and he could end up pricing himself out of some backup gigs on higher profile teams. A lot of people will point to the Glennon contract that the Bears drew up last year but he only started 4 games this year and is most likely going to be cut from the Bears this offseason. I think that will probably hurt McCarron more than anything because teams will be wary of handing out a contract like that to an unproven guy any time soon.

I think his best bet is to take a cheap one or two year contract on a team like the Jets or the Bills where there's no QB certainty and he can prove that he should be a starter. Things could change but as of right now I don't really see him as being fantasy relevant next year or even the next couple honestly.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm
Madadamus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 pm I think if the Browns are out of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, they should sign McCarron and draft Josh Allen.

I’ve been cheering for the Browns to turn it around for years now but if they did this I think I would have to stop needlessly suffering. Allen might have the biggest arm but look around the league and tell me that’s what matters...
Rodgers has a killer arm, sure...but it’s not what makes him. The ability to rapidly process the defense both pre and post snap is FAR more crucial than a big arm, and I don’t believe that can simply be coached.
I've been a Cleveland fan for close to 40 years. Loved the team in the late 80s under Schottenheimer. Art Modell can burn for eternity for ripping the team away as far as I'm concerned. Since re-entered entering the league there hasn't been hardly a ray of hope and it's frustrating watching them repeat the same mistakes over and over.

If they pick up McCarron in free agency and draft Allen it will be the same crap all over again. Pedestrian veteran and not the best rookie. That's the formula for failure they have followed for the past 20 years. If they do it again, it may be finally time for me to move on. I don't live near Cleveland anymore and haven't for years. It may be time to root for someone more local.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 pm

They already have Josh Allen on roster. His name is Kizer.
The standard is the standard.