Did Jesus Christ die and rise rom the dead?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Did Jesus Christ die and rise rom the dead?

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Bless you Azthecrow. I do realize that you do mean well.

I know I come across as a d-bag at times when I get on these religion is silly discussions. I can honestly say that it isn't my intent to be rude. I do however have many questions for people such as yourself. I too was indoctrinated as a child. I'm wondering how we today, (I'm 42) - differ so much in that I was able to break away from the brainwashing, and conversely you embrace it happily & wholeheartedly. There must be an explanation. I know that humans are generally a social species so biologically we tend to group up for several reasons. So, there is that but - Just not sure why or how it is easy to believe so ardently in your Jesus character (other than because of the childhood indoctrination, in the light of 21'st century information) - and also easy for you to - so easily dismiss and to not believe AT ALL in Thor, Oden, Zeus, Buddha, Prometheus, Shiva, Re, Horus, Mohamid, Persephone, Isis, Apollo, Loki, Vishnu, Osiris, Krishna, Aphrodite, Ares, Dionysus, Anubis, Kali, lilith, Cronus, Artemis, Muse, etc. I could go on and on and on. The point is - and the real question is - HOW are you so sure? It seems near impossible for me to be so certain that MY god, the God I was brought up believing, The god I learned about throughout my childhood here in the heartland of the United States - The Triune god of Christianity - Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God the father.... How is this the one belief - the right one? AND, despite what they say, All other religions, despite their own history, and in many cases a deeper and longer history than Christianity with stories incredibly similar to stories hijacked by the bible - is the right one. It seems incredibly likely and quite probable, that Christianity is simply a Hodge podge of ancient stolen stories put together to provide peace of mind for a very poor, very abused group of people whom lived in today's middle east around 2000 ish years ago. It (the basic message of the NEW testament) likely provided hope and some sense of * there must be something better than this - type thinking. After this, Christianity was hijacked by governments in order to control behavior of people. Seems simple but man.... the simple explanations are usually the ones that are the most plausible. At least more plausible than a magic father figure in the sky that makes promises, answers prayers, cares about us individually, or doesnt when it serves him, etc.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

when you are OTC you have options
you must have faith and make a pick
trade down defer your decision
or
trade out- choose to decide none of the choices meet your needs really that simple.

Lumping a person that walked the earth , breathed the same air is a bit different from the long convoluted red herring list you provided - unless you are saying that in fact you do not believe christ or buddha or mohammad walked the earth !
Deny the message your choice your burden or enlightenment is yours alone but when you deny the existence that is just grinding an invisible ax when even the ardent atheist may deny the holiness or validity of his message but virtually no educated person doubt that he lived nor do they doubt buddha or muhammad lived . Hell even muslims and jews/christians agree on this and they cannot agree on anything else more or less .
do try to keep things somewhat in perspective.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm when you are OTC you have options
or
trade out- choose to decide none of the choices meet your needs really that simple.

Lumping a person that walked the earth , breathed the same air is a bit different from the long convoluted red herring list you provided - unless you are saying that in fact you do not believe christ or buddha or mohammad walked the earth !
Deny the message your choice your burden or enlightenment is yours alone but when you deny the existence that is just grinding an invisible ax when even the ardent atheist may deny the holiness or validity of his message but virtually no educated person doubt that he lived nor do they doubt buddha or muhammad lived . Hell even muslims and jews/christians agree on this and they cannot agree on anything else more or less .

Well, I do think I did a very good job of keeping things in perspective. I'm not 100% sure that an actual man by the name of Jesus, Christ, Jaovah, etc actually existed. He may have. In my research I've found that it seems likely he did. However, there isn't any conclusive evidence that states he absolutely did. So, even an even keeled person must at minimum admit that there is no certainty here. There in lies a small part of the issue. One must do research into the history of that time. Jesus was a common name of the time and place just as Jon or John is a common name of our time and place. Being a messiah was also common of that time. NO truly credible or verifiable single eye witness accounts actually exist even in the bible. Still, personally, I find it likely that the man Jesus likely did exist. Was he born of a virgin, did he die and come back 3 days later? Those are some crazy claims. More important, was their ever an Adam or Eve? Likely not. If not, then original sin never happened, then we have holes in the story, If there were no ever original sin, then why sacrifice? See my point? The vast majority of New Testament of the modern day bible was written long after the asserted resurrection and much of it was the retelling of stories from earlier religions. The names of the books of the bible as in Mark, Luke, etc are not the actual names of the authors by the way.

Also, interesting, The first book of the bible ever written was not Genesis. The oldest book was Job. What does this mean? Or, what can we take from that? It was a patch work piece of literature and then edited and pieced together. Heck, some books were completely omitted by the Roman ruler Constantine in a focused effort to consolidate his tax payers, and thus his power and the power of Rome. It worked well and he is given much credit for the revival of the Roman empire. In so doing, he quite literally erased from history messages / books written. Mary of Magladine comes to mind here. * As far as the bible and it's message; well - Much of it contradicts itself and much of it written generations after the fact (life of Jesus). Some books make fairly deliberate attempts to validate previous stories. It is quite a task to make sense of. Theologians continue today to debate and learn more and reevaluate previous / earlier "understandings".
Anyway, CC, I don't believe you make your picks when OTC based on faith. Sorry. I'd bet you do not pray for yourself to make a good pick, and I bet you do your research, I bet you are very informed, and I'd also bet that you use as much objective as well as some subjective evidence as you can get your hands on, in order to make the best pick you can. Even then, I'd also bet that you still make mistakes.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm
clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm when you are OTC you have options
or

Well, I do think I did a very good job of keeping things in perspective. I'm not 100% sure that an actual man by the name of Jesus, Christ, Jaovah, etc actually existed. He may have. In my research I've found that it seems likely he did. However, there isn't any conclusive evidence that states he absolutely did. So, even an even keeled person must at minimum admit that there is no certainty here. There in lies a small part of the issue. One must do research into the history of that time. Jesus was a common name of the time and place just as Jon or John is a common name of our time and place. Being a messiah was also common of that time. NO truly credible or verifiable single eye witness accounts actually exist even in the bible. Still, personally, I find it likely that the man Jesus likely did exist. Was he born of a virgin, did he die and come back 3 days later? Those are some crazy claims. More important, was their ever an Adam or Eve? Likely not. If not, then original sin never happened, then we have holes in the story, If there were no ever original sin, then why sacrifice? See my point? The vast majority of New Testament of the modern day bible was written long after the asserted resurrection and much of it was the retelling of stories from earlier religions. The names of the books of the bible as in Mark, Luke, etc are not the actual names of the authors by the way.

Also, interesting, The first book of the bible ever written was not Genesis. The oldest book was Job. What does this mean? Or, what can we take from that? It was a patch work piece of literature and then edited and pieced together. Heck, some books were completely omitted by the Roman ruler Constantine in a focused effort to consolidate his tax payers, and thus his power and the power of Rome. It worked well and he is given much credit for the revival of the Roman empire. In so doing, he quite literally erased from history messages / books written. Mary of Magladine comes to mind here. * As far as the bible and it's message; well - Much of it contradicts itself and much of it written generations after the fact (life of Jesus). Some books make fairly deliberate attempts to validate previous stories. It is quite a task to make sense of. Theologians continue today to debate and learn more and reevaluate previous / earlier "understandings".
Anyway, CC, I don't believe you make your picks when OTC based on faith. Sorry. I'd bet you do not pray for yourself to make a good pick, and I bet you do your research, I bet you are very informed, and I'd also bet that you use as much objective as well as some subjective evidence as you can get your hands on, in order to make the best pick you can. Even then, I'd also bet that you still make mistakes.
Then when we have enough evidence that the pick we made is a bust, we either try to trade it away or drop it all together :wink:

Also, if everyone agrees that Buddah, Jesus, and Muhammad all existed, how do we know which one is the real god?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

That is part of the issue I'm trying to convey. Seems simple enough. I think it's just real tough for an indoctrinated believer to question their ingrained belief system. I'm living proof however, that it can and does happen.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Goddard you are confusing the message with the messenger ^^ Although I did LOL at the way you tied it together by bouncing off my football themed idea! Humor is always welcome even when I do not see eye to eye with someone . Sarcasm is heat if brought properly in my opinion you did it well !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:08 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm Goddard you are confusing the message with the messenger ^^ Although I did LOL at the way you tied it together by bouncing off my football themed idea! Humor is always welcome even when I do not see eye to eye with someone . Sarcasm is heat if brought properly in my opinion you did it well !
What's the point if everything becomes so serious. I don't really care what people believe or don't, but I think it's healthy to have conversations about it and try to seek to understand the other side. Humor and sarcasm is never a bad thing either.

Also, I typically try to stay away from large discussions about religion and politics because I've never actually seen anyone change their minds in the middle of one...but like I said, as long as it stays civil, it can be very interesting.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:16 pm

I read these comments and I feel like I'm watching a late-80s sci-if movie with Gary Oldman as the lead: a psychotic religious warlord in a dystopian city painted by Orwell...

And I'm a born again Christian, btw
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I am just curious to know what JFever thinks of the tv show "The Good Place". :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 am

Goddard wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm
JFever wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm
or

Then when we have enough evidence that the pick we made is a bust, we either try to trade it away or drop it all together :wink:

Also, if everyone agrees that Buddah, Jesus, and Muhammad all existed, how do we know which one is the real god?
Because Jesus died and then rose from the dead. Beyond the miracles He performed to show who He was, He was crucified, then spent three days in Hell to pay for our sins before rising from the grave.

Here is one, of many, evidences that this occurred: https://crossexamined.org/10-reasons-ac ... ical-fact/

Regardless of whether you believe, respect the fact that TRUE Christians (not those who claim they are to further an agenda) shares the Gospel because that is what we are called to do. To bring people to Christ is the best thing we can do - eternal salvation. It's not easy to share when there is so much condemnation of our beliefs.

Further, if you want a "real-world" application of this, look into how many Eagles gave the glory to Jesus IMMEDIATELY after winning the Super Bowl. Doug Pederson, Zach Ertz, Nick Foles, Brandon Graham... the list is lengthy. Many players were baptized this season alone.

(As an aside - as I previously indicated, please keep the forum respectful. From all sides.)

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

Further, if you want a "real-world" application of this, look into how many Eagles gave the glory to Jesus IMMEDIATELY after winning the Super Bowl. Doug Pederson, Zach Ertz, Nick Foles, Brandon Graham... the list is lengthy. Many players were baptized this season alone.

Now this ^ I have a problem with. By what do you mean by "real world application"? It is ludicrous. If you mean real world use of a podium to push and to propagate a belief? sure, that is what it was. But.... c'mon. For them to thank god for the super bowl? What does that mean? Should the loser then be pissed that God let them down? That God didn't answer their prayer? Maybe perhaps the Eagles fan's prayed harder? Maybe perhaps God felt that they deserved it and the Patriots have already had their fair share? This is one of the biggest problems I have. Its as if people just don't think about things with a clear objective thought process. Its as if they prayed harder than the Patriots. Its as if GOD favored them and their fans.

Don't you think it has a touch to do with Genetics, work ethic, passion, coaching, execution of a game plan? health? Or.... if you are really buying into this?

- Maybe we should all just take a day off, start praying, and praying real hard, so maybe I can play in the next super bowl. Screw that, I'm going to start praying for a winning lottery ticket. I mean is there no end to how far we are willing to stretch this propaganda?

Simply put, ask yourself if your belief system that you were brain washed into believing is reasonable. I think it is quite reasonable to think that it is unreasonable. Why? as I've stated many times, it is 2018. There are real life answers to why the Eagles won and in reality, it had absolutely nothing to do with a supernatural deity.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 am

dlf_jaronf wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 am
Because Jesus died and then rose from the dead. Beyond the miracles He performed to show who He was, He was crucified, then spent three days in Hell to pay for our sins before rising from the grave.

Here is one, of many, evidences that this occurred: https://crossexamined.org/10-reasons-ac ... ical-fact/

Regardless of whether you believe, respect the fact that TRUE Christians (not those who claim they are to further an agenda) shares the Gospel because that is what we are called to do. To bring people to Christ is the best thing we can do - eternal salvation. It's not easy to share when there is so much condemnation of our beliefs.

(As an aside - as I previously indicated, please keep the forum respectful. From all sides.)
Pretty sure I've kept it respectful and haven't offended anyone...just asked a simple question. As for Jesus being the true god instead of Muhammad or Buddha, or any other god for that matter, that's still just your opinion. The evidence in that article doesn't really prove a whole lot. I'm sure Muslims and Buddhists have their own websites with "evidence" proving their god is the real one. My argument was more about, if we're going to agree that all of these people existed (Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, etc) and they all probably claim to have proof of some sort of magical power (not trying to be offensive, just don't know how else to phrase it), then how can we be so certain that we're right and the others are wrong.

As for the Eagles players/coaches, maybe they should start praying more for world peace and other important things if god is that powerful, instead of being selfish and wanting to win a superbowl.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 am

JFever wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am Further, if you want a "real-world" application of this, look into how many Eagles gave the glory to Jesus IMMEDIATELY after winning the Super Bowl. Doug Pederson, Zach Ertz, Nick Foles, Brandon Graham... the list is lengthy. Many players were baptized this season alone.

Now this ^ I have a problem with. By what do you mean by "real world application"? It is ludicrous. If you mean real world use of a podium to push and to propagate a belief? sure, that is what it was. But.... c'mon. For them to thank god for the super bowl? What does that mean? Should the loser then be pissed that God let them down? That God didn't answer their prayer? Maybe perhaps the Eagles fan's prayed harder? Maybe perhaps God felt that they deserved it and the Patriots have already had their fair share? This is one of the biggest problems I have. Its as if people just don't think about things with a clear objective thought process. Its as if they prayed harder than the Patriots. Its as if GOD favored them and their fans.

Don't you think it has a touch to do with Genetics, work ethic, passion, coaching, execution of a game plan? health? Or.... if you are really buying into this?

- Maybe we should all just take a day off, start praying, and praying real hard, so maybe I can play in the next super bowl. Screw that, I'm going to start praying for a winning lottery ticket. I mean is there no end to how far we are willing to stretch this propaganda?

Simply put, ask yourself if your belief system that you were brain washed into believing is reasonable. I think it is quite reasonable to think that it is unreasonable. Why? as I've stated many times, it is 2018. There are real life answers to why the Eagles won and in reality, it had absolutely nothing to do with a supernatural deity.
You have a problem with this? It's ludicrious? Am I "really buying into this"?
Clearly your mind isn't getting changed. That's fine. But don't reply with continued condescending comments.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 am

Pretty sure I've kept it respectful and haven't offended anyone...just asked a simple question. As for Jesus being the true god instead of Muhammad or Buddha, or any other god for that matter, that's still just your opinion. The evidence in that article doesn't really prove a whole lot. I'm sure Muslims and Buddhists have their own websites with "evidence" proving their god is the real one. My argument was more about, if we're going to agree that all of these people existed (Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, etc) and they all probably claim to have proof of some sort of magical power (not trying to be offensive, just don't know how else to phrase it), then how can we be so certain that we're right and the others are wrong.

As for the Eagles players/coaches, maybe they should start praying more for world peace and other important things if god is that powerful, instead of being selfish and wanting to win a superbowl.
Sure, that's my opinion. Your opinion is just your opinion too.

Regarding the Eagles, you're completely missing the point. I didn't say any of them prayed that God would help them win the Super Bowl. I never heard one say that. They were praising God for giving them the health and talent to reach where they were. Forget that example if you want, it's just one of many.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 am

Goddard, my follow-up comment was in general - not toward you, CC, JF or anyone else. This is a very sensitive subject to many so it was just a general reminder that it's ok to assert your opinion while respecting those of others'.